Max Payne

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 09, 2012, 11:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Because, why shouldn't he get his own thread? The MP series definitely deserves to be discussed about more, and now's as good a time as ever with the release of the 3rd game less than a week away.

Anyways, to pick up on a conversation we were having earlier, I really appreciate these games for their sense of humor (you know, aside from its amazing action and fun gameplay). Like many others, my 2 favorite characters (besides Max Payne himself), are Vladimir Lem and Vincent Gognitti.

My 2nd favorite line from Vinnie is: "Well, that was fun - in a fuckin' terrible, sick, not-at-all-fun way."

Yeah, like I said, Remedy knows how to write funny dialogue. :lol:

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 09, 2012, 11:38:54 PM
My 2nd favorite line from Vinnie is: "Well, that was fun - in a fuckin' terrible, sick, not-at-all-fun way."
Best line in the whole game. The delivery is so perfect. On that note, I can kinda' do Vinnie's voice and my fake Russian accent (which everyone seems to find hilarious) is basically just me emulating Vlad's VA. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

Anyone ever play the GBA game? It's supposed to be pretty good. I'm kind of surprised at how much, actually.

Dead To Rights Retribution kinda knocked Max Payne off with it's story. (which was unbelievably cliche, and pretty lame as a whole) But in game play it's actually pretty fun and different from it. Too bad they ruined it with such a lame dark and "serious" story without a drop of humor in an attempt to be edgy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 11:49:32 PM
Anyone ever play the GBA game? It's supposed to be pretty good. I'm kind of surprised at how much, actually.
Looks really cool and surprisingly faithful to the original version. I'll need to try it out sometime.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 11:49:32 PM
Dead To Rights Retribution kinda knocked Max Payne off with it's story. (which was unbelievably cliche, and pretty lame as a whole) But in game play it's actually pretty fun and different from it. Too bad they ruined it with such a lame dark and "serious" story without a drop of humor in an attempt to be edgy.
Is it as hard as Max Payne? There are no PC versions and I would never be able to beat MP with a controller...

Also, I generally don't enjoy that kind of music, but I really like Late Goodbye (the ending credits theme from MP 2). How do you guys feel about it?

EDIT: Oh wow, the first two Dead To Rights games actually do have PC versions! News to me. Retribution doesn't, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 09, 2012, 11:51:26 PM
Is it as hard as Max Payne? There are no PC versions and I would never be able to beat MP with a controller...
Other than the story (which is so bad it's almost a parody of MP with a downer ending that will never be resolved since it bombed), the game is actually a mix of beat em up and third person shooter. I beat it on the hardest difficulty, and you can approach almost any situation with your fists or your gun which is a cool idea. It's not a pure shooter though, so the shooting is not as good as MP. The game really could have used co-op, too. I've never played the other DTR games though, so I'm not sure how they compare. I think they're more light-hearted, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 11:56:14 PM
the game is actually a mix of beat em up and third person shooter.
Oh, awesome. That sounds like something I'd rather play with a controller, then.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Holy crap! I never even knew there was a GBA port of the first Max Payne game. I'm really surprised that they even went so far as to keep the voice-acting in there, rather than just using the text, as grainy as it sounds. As for the level design, it looks astonishingly faithful to the PC/XBOX/PS2 version of the game. I'm not sure how the gameplay would work with that fixed camera angle style, though, but like Foggle I'll have to check it out at some point in time.

Spark Of Spirit

I wish I didn't pass of the GBA version as a bad port way back when. That looks like if Remedy made Max Payne for the SNES back in the day. Sorta like how Medal Of Honor Infiltrator is the secret best game in the series by taking a popular formula and using a retro twist to it.

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 12:00:14 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 11:56:14 PM
the game is actually a mix of beat em up and third person shooter.
Oh, awesome. That sounds like something I'd rather play with a controller, then.
It's pretty fun as a whole, just that everything surrounding the gameplay is kind of lame.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 12:04:09 AM
Medal Of Honor Infiltrator
*Googles*

Holy shit, this is awesome. Never even heard of this game before!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 12:07:45 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 12:04:09 AM
Medal Of Honor Infiltrator
*Googles*

Holy shit, this is awesome. Never even heard of this game before!
I think it's the best Medal Of Honor game. It's an overhead shooter that requires a ton of strategy to get by in.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 12:01:56 AM
Holy crap! I never even knew there was a GBA port of the first Max Payne game. I'm really surprised that they even went so far as to keep the voice-acting in there, rather than just using the text, as grainy as it sounds. As for the level design, it looks astonishingly faithful to the PC/XBOX/PS2 version of the game. I'm not sure how the gameplay would work with that fixed camera angle style, though, but like Foggle I'll have to check it out at some point in time.
I think it works like you dive in a direction and get full 360 degree control for the slow down. Since you don't have to worry about vertical aiming, it probably works well.

I haven't played it, I've just heard good things. And I wish we had more ports like it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 12:11:13 AM
I think it's the best Medal Of Honor game. It's an overhead shooter that requires a ton of strategy to get by in.
Not that much of an accomplishment, really. The only other good MoH is Allied Assault.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 12:11:13 AM
Not that much of an accomplishment, really. The only other good MoH is Allied Assault.
True, though I have a soft spot for the PS1 games.

Which is why Infiltrator was such a shock. It came after a bad port of Underground, and had a completely different approach. Bright graphics, simple game play, yet it was rock hard. It's a real shame that it never got a sequel.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 12:16:46 AM
I guess my comment was a bit unfair... I've never actually played the PS1 games. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 12:17:52 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 12:16:46 AM
I guess my comment was a bit unfair... I've never actually played the PS1 games. :sweat:
They're decent FPS games. Nothing groundbreaking (though the original was the first to have a "movie style" presentation), but they're decent enough.

But back to Max Payne! I don't want to steer direction off of the series.  :D

Foggle

I really like what I've seen of Max Payne 3 so far. The newest GTTV episode is about MP 3 and the writing seems to be really good.