Max Payne

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 09, 2012, 11:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, its also XBOX Pirates who helped to cripple the sales for Remedy with Alan Wake, so they can go fuck themselves for all I care.

I do genuinely hope that the gameplay is great and plentiful, though.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 06:09:19 PM
Well, its also XBOX Pirates who helped to cripple the sales of Alan Wake, so they can go fuck themselves for all I care.
:( They always hit the underrated gems. MadWorld was basically fucked over by pirates, too.

QuoteI do genuinely hope that the gameplay is great and plentiful, though.
Same here. I've stopped going to any and all Max Payne boards as of now, so I won't be able to report on such matters until next month.

Foggle

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 06:11:23 PM
Same here. I've stopped going to any and all Max Payne boards as of now, so I won't be able to report on such matters until next month.
Okay, I lied. Treading the line here... must find out more info.

The game is reportedly a little over 9 hours long if you rush through it and there are multiple levels taking place in New York. There's also an Arcade mode unlocked after beating the game where you can play through the entire campaign (cutscenes removed) and go for high scores.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 08:03:00 PMThere's also an Arcade mode unlocked after beating the game where you can play through the entire campaign (cutscenes removed) and go for high scores.
!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 08:03:00 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 06:11:23 PM
Okay, I lied. Treading the line here... must find out more info.

The game is reportedly a little over 9 hours long if you rush through it and there are multiple levels taking place in New York. There's also an Arcade mode unlocked after beating the game where you can play through the entire campaign (cutscenes removed) and go for high scores.

If its 9 hours including cut-scenes, then its safe to say that the game is about as long as Max Payne 2 from a gameplay stand-point (about 6 hours or so). I would've liked a campaign mode of at least 8 hours worth of gameplay, but I can live with a short campaign mode as long as the game is at least as replayable as the first 2 games. The arcade mode sounds nice and should help add to the replay value. I also hope that the game improves the AI for the harder difficulty settings and keeps in New York Minute mode.

Foggle

Achievements reveal that the higher difficulties include:

Old-School (no idea what this is; perhaps it removes features like aim assist and the cover system?)
Hardcore (I assume this means perma-death, no saving/reloading)
New York Minute (self-explanatory)
New York Minute Hardcore (perma-death New York Minute? good lord)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Nice. It seems like Rockstar knows what they're doing with this game. I just really hope that it delivers. I've already suffered one huge disappointment this year. I don't need to go 2 for 2 with another one of my favorite video game series going under with its 3rd installment. Though, even if its not a great game I'm sure it'll still at least be a good one. I mean, its not like this game is deciding to limit you to one weapon because the developers want you to "feel what its like to shoot someone with a handgun," or some bullshit like that....my god, even in completely unrelated topics I can't get that travesty of a game out of my head. :cry:

Spark Of Spirit

Old School - 3 lives until Game Over. You earn extra lives by earning points or finding secret pick ups in the levels. You may or may not be able to earn continues. The pick ups are rotating 2D sprites of Max (a life), and his family (continue), and stuff like ammo would have similar sprites.

Yes, I'm making that up. And yes, I wish that's what it was.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The dirty, greasy pirates are reporting that it's about as good (and as hard!) as the first two. I hope they're right.

"We here at Rockstar are proud to present a new and exciting gameplay aspect for Max Payne 3; Bullet On Bone! At random moments, when Max shoots an enemy, the camera will zoom in on his body as the bullet gets stuck inside of him. At this point, you will have to waggle the analog stick or mouse to force the bullet to smash through and exit on the other side, accompanied by the satisfying sound of the human bone crunching beneath its weight. We really want people to experience what it truly feels like to shoot another person with a handgun."

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 08:21:57 PMWe really want people to experience what it truly feels like to shoot another person with a handgun.
No matter how many times I see it, I still can't believe it. Horrifying stuff.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 10, 2012, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 10, 2012, 08:21:57 PMWe really want people to experience what it truly feels like to shoot another person with a handgun.
No matter how many times I see it, I still can't believe it. Horrifying stuff.
I feel the same way. Team Ninja is pretty sick in the head.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'd like to go up to Yosuke Hayashi and say: "Hey, do you remember when Ninja Gaiden used to be 2D and Ryu enemies used to merely explode upon Ryu hitting them with his sword? Now, please tell me, how the fuck to you associate THAT with slowly cutting through someone's bones?"

Rynnec

Hayashi's thought process was probably "Hey, gamers today love blood and gore right? So let's take it a step further by adding a useless mechanic that slows down the combat to make things seem more "realistic" as if they're really cutting someone down! Our game is sure to sell millions then!"

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, some people liked the blood and gore, some people were pretty indifferent to it, and some people didn't think it belonged in the game. Whatever the case, EVERYONE agreed that the 3D NG games were great for their combat and variety of tough and challenging enemies. Clearly Hayashi wasn't paying attention to any reviews from either critics or fans alike, and the NG3 we got was just his self-indulgent garbage. Tecmo should just flat-out admit that they can't do shit without Itagaki around and outsource the next NG game to a developer that actually knows how to make an action game.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 08:15:15 PM
Nice. It seems like Rockstar knows what they're doing with this game. I just really hope that it delivers. I've already suffered one huge disappointment this year. I don't need to go 2 for 2 with another one of my favorite video game series going under with its 3rd installment. Though, even if its not a great game I'm sure it'll still at least be a good one. I mean, its not like this game is deciding to limit you to one weapon because the developers want you to "feel what its like to shoot someone with a handgun," or some bullshit like that....my god, even in completely unrelated topics I can't get that travesty of a game out of my head. :cry:
What game?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody