Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 05, 2015, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on March 05, 2015, 02:02:47 PM
O.o The series started in the 90s? that I did not know.

The serialization of the manga began in '97 (the first version of the original one-shot was in '95 or '96). Until that point, Oda got part-time work as an assistant artist to other mangaka, including Nobuhiro Watsuki on Rurouni Kenshin, which has the now iconic Straw Hat Pirates logo appear in the manga as a tribute to the then newly launched One Piece.

The anime began airing in '99, but in '98 there was an OVA adaptation of the original one-shot, where the lead female character was voiced by Oda's (now) wife.
Oh, so he was still working on Rurouni Kenshin when One Piece came out? I thought/assumed he made the Straw Hat logo on Gein's bomb and decided to use it in his series...just because.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

No, he wouldn't have had the time to do a full series of his own and be an assistant. He had already done two one-shots and had the series conceptualized with his editor in the planning stages before it actually came out.

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

I was really enjoying watching half of that One Piece replay that's probably still on. Couldn't tear myself away from watching it until the commercials came. I missed the DBZ replay due to a shower but they'll probably have me as a regular viewer for this rerun hour.

LumRanmaYasha

I'd be happier about that if SAO wasn't taking it's place at 1. Good that Final Act has kept it's spot, though.

gunswordfist

Why is One Piece still on so late. :burn:

LumRanmaYasha

Because it's ratings as of late have been unfortunately mediocre. But hey, at least it's got a rerun slot in primetime now.

Daikun

The Tumblr Q&As are effectively cancelled.

Good. Now we won't have a bunch of morons asking the same shit every month.

The Q&A sessions will be on their podcast from now on.

gunswordfist

I loved badgering them about Hamtaro. :(

Lord Dalek

I love how nostalgiaboos are bending over backwards trying to get them to air Sailor Moon Crystal. Considering I doubt they've even watched the show, a rude awakening is imminent.

gunswordfist

I wish I paid attention to the screen during the first minute of the One Piece episode they showed yesterday. I was too busy on my laptop because I pretty much assumed they would be showing filler..and then I caught the end of one of my favorite CP9 members getting owned. :( :D I didn't even see him get tossed until a commercial break showed it.

LumRanmaYasha

Toonami will have a Kill la Kill marathon on Memorial Day weekend (5/23).

The schedule will be as follows:

12:00 - DBZ Kai
12:30 - Kill la Kill # 10
01:00 - Kill la Kill # 11
01:30 - Kill la Kill # 12
02:00 - Kill la Kill # 13
02:30 - Kill la Kill # 14
03:00 - Kill la Kill # 15

Daikun

MomoCon panel on right now!

Announcements:

-Sentai Filmworks finally joins Toonami! :zonk: Akame Ga Kill announced!
-Michiko & Hatchin replaces Inuyasha: The Final Act.
-An official Toonami app is coming.
-The Intruder 2 premieres in October.

VLordGTZ

Parasyte is coming to Toonami!
I'm surprised Sentai got two slots on Toonami so quickly.  I hope that they will eventually air Rin-ne.

LumRanmaYasha

Nice get. This reminds me that I need to get around to finally finish watching the anime sometime soon.