Gravity Falls

Started by Mr. Big, June 16, 2012, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 28, 2012, 08:49:53 PM
This episode is utter proof that Lil Gideon and his dad need more appearances.

Damn straight. Also, what was up with Gideon's mom?

Kiddington

"Text me a photo? Okay, now you're not even speaking English."

Another amazing episode, once again. This show just never ceases to impress.

Mr. Big

Gideon's dad is even better if you remember that his voice actor did Bill in "King of the Hill"

Yeah, Gideon and his Dad is hilarious. They stole the show for me, as well as Stan. So Stan's full name is Stanford Pines? That's what they all keep calling him...

Kiddington

Yeah, there were a couple of instances in this one where Bud sounded exactly like Bill. In the first episode Stephen Root keep the two voices pretty distinguished, but at least a couple of times in his second appearance, it almost felt like I was watching KOTH for a second (not that that's a bad thing, though).

Watching this one again earlier today, it really was a great episode. As much I as loved Fight Fighters and all of the references, I'd say this one tops it. The writing was absolutely top notch once again ("Oh, hi Gideon. I've been looking for someone to try out my new mirror maze-then again, you're an idiot. That's the end of the sentence."), and I really loved the dynamic between Dipper and Mabel; this episode did an especially great job in highlighting that. IMO, it's one of the best things about this show, and it's such a refreshing change of pace from the usual stale sibling rivalry tropes that often muddy up a series whenever a brother and sister are involved.

The Halloween one looks fun; can't wait for that next week. Sadly, I've been told that's the only new episode for the entire month of October. I don't know what Disney's deal is with this show (I mean, NONE of their other stuff, whether it be Fish Hooks or the live-action garbage, ever takes this much time off), but these constant, almost month-long breaks episodes are really getting old.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, Friday's episode was everything I really like about the show. Weird paranormal stuff and humor that builds off it, a strangely unpredictable plot, and a nice sibling bond on top of it.

Even I will admit Stan was funny here, but I think he's always at his best when he's paired up with Gideon.

More episodes like this and Double Dipper would be appreciated.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

No thoughts on last nights episode?

Probably not as good as last week, but still a lot of fun. I loved the loser candies especially; for some reason, I'm really craving a "Mr. Adequate-Bar" right about now.

Avaitor

It was cute, but I preferred the past 2 episodes. I dunno, this one just didn't do it for me as much.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

The following isn't about last week's episode of Gravity Falls specifically, but about the series in general:

Of the twins, I definitely prefer Mabel over Dipper, primarily because Mabel is the "wacky" twin who's unashamed of who and what she is and she's brave enough to just be herself. I want to like Dipper, but my main problem with his character is that he's too "normal". Dipper is the "average every boy" who typically falls into the average, every boy trappings (wanting to accepted socially, getting the girl, etc.) To this, I say "Blah."  I'm really getting tired of this particular character type, with young boys especially. I get that GF's producers and writers want Dipper to be the sane, sensible twin,  but my feeling is why does the show need to have a straight character at all? Why can't both of the twins be silly, just in different ways? I would love to see a young male protagonist on a TV show who isn't motivated solely by being popular or impressing a neighborhood girl.

The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Avaitor

The way I see it is that Gravity Falls itself is about pre-pubescence, portraying the life of a pair of 12-year-old twins, possibly during the summer before middle school.

By having the main characters be the exact same age, they can make a contrast between this stage of life, by having Dipper be the kind of boring, somewhat whiny kid who's ready to grow up and embrace this phase of his life, while Mabel is more reluctant to grow up, and acts so goofy in contrast. GF isn't the first show to do something like this with its main characters, but it does explain why Dipper seems so much less fun in comparison.

I personally like having the male be the more mature and subdued one for a change, but I do see what you mean.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

Quote from: AviatorI personally like having the male be the more mature and subdued one for a change, but I do see what you mean.

Oh, I'm with you there. It's a nice change of pace to have the male half of a duo be the more laid back and sensible one and the female being the goofy one, but Mabel's episodes aren't typically about her wanting to change something about herself in order to gain acceptance, be it from Wendy or society in general. For the most part, Mabel is content with just being herself, which is why I like her more than Dipper.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Spark Of Spirit

I just saw a commercial for this show that featured nothing but the internet meme shots of the pig in the costume followed by the title of the show.

That was worrying.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

That falls on Disney by choosing to market the show as such, though.

A one-off credits gag is not a sign that the show is falling into some cheap, pandering trap. If they start running away with memes during the actual episodes, though? Then I'll be worried.

Spark Of Spirit

It's just not how they should be advertising the show since it has nothing to do with the actual show.

Really, I liked the episode, but that was my least favorite part of the episode.

Kiddington

I thought it was a cute as a one-off, but no, I don't want to see them head down *that* direction either.

Really, I'm surprised Disney is marketing the show like this. It's not like that was even an overly memorable gag anyway. Strange.

GaryPotter

Disney flat-out doesn't know how to make decent ads. They know that Gravity Falls is popular with the older crowd, so they obviously think they're being clever with the whole meme thing.

As for the episode itself, it was alright. These Wendy episodes can be a real drag, mostly because Wendy herself isn't even really a character. She exists to give Dipper motivation and doesn't actually do anything herself.

Hurr hurr, Candy dressed as a piece of candy :hayguyz: