"The Dark Knight Rises" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 19, 2012, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

A FIRE WILL RISE.

Selina Kyle: "You don't owe these people anymore. You've given them everything."
Batman: "Not everything... not yet..."

Release Date: July 20, 2012
Studio: Warner Bros./Legendary/Syncopy
Director: Christopher Nolan
Aspect Ratio:1.65:1/2.40:1(Panavision/Imax mix)
Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Cane, Gary Oldman, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Morgan Freeman

Plot Summary: Despite his tarnished reputation after the events of The Dark Knight, in which he took the rap for Dent's crimes, Batman feels compelled to intervene to assist the city and its police force which is struggling to cope with Bane's plans to destroy the city.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #179

Yeah I'm early, but I wanna go to bed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm planning to see a late show tomorrow night with my older brother and some of his friends after I get off from work at the pharmacy tomorrow.

Spark Of Spirit

I won't have the chance to see this for a while, but I assume this will be huge. Will it top the Avengers, though?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, IDK how it'll stack-up to The Avengers, but a lot of early reviews indicate that it surprisingly manages to live up to the hype, and at the very least is close to as good as TDK is not as good as that film. If it really is as good as TDK, I think it'd top The Avengers for me, and that's no easy feat because The Avengers was amazing.

Avaitor

In terms of box-office, idk man. I still feel like a pretty decent chunk of the cash TDK made was in tribute to Heath Ledger more than out of interest for the movie, but I'm sure enough people were impressed with it to want to follow this take on Batman. Avengers still has a lot going for it with its gross, but who knows.

I'll probably see it this weekend myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Just got out. While not as good as TDK, it was definitely excellent.

Commode

Not gonna lie, but after last night's events in Colorado I kinda don't feel right about seeing the film, at least not right away.  It's not that I'm afraid that I'll get shot or something, but the film is unmistakeably tainted now, which is unfortunate considering I'm sure it's a good movie in its own right and it's not it's fault that this event happened.  To me just waltzing up to the ticketing booth and asking for a ticket to the movie just seems a little unsettling.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Comeau on July 20, 2012, 07:33:44 PM
Not gonna lie, but after last night's events in Colorado I kinda don't feel right about seeing the film, at least not right away.  It's not that I'm afraid that I'll get shot or something, but the film is unmistakeably tainted now, which is unfortunate considering I'm sure it's a good movie in its own right and it's not it's fault that this event happened.  To me just waltzing up to the ticketing booth and asking for a ticket to the movie just seems a little unsettling.
Yeah, I felt that way too. But then, I realized that I'm not gonna let a fucking murderer influence my decisions. To let that happen means that they have power over people. I know that it might be too soon for some people to watch the movie in light of tragic events, but we shouldn't let these times be like inkstains.

Commode

Oh yeah, I definitely understand that point, but I still can't shake the feeling.  As of right now, I've decided to skip the showings for tonight, and tomorrow I may or may not go see it depending on how I feel.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

Saw the midnight showing and I thought it was great. Better than Spider-Man, but I think I like Avengers more. I was able to understand Bane pretty well. I just wished Catwoman did more.

As for the shooting, really tragic man. I'm not sure what to think about it since I learned about it a few minutes after I got home from work today.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was excellent. My brother picked apart a few plot points that were kind of stupid, and that last plot-twist regarding a certain villain was way too forced and kind of came out of nowhere, but on the whole it was a thoroughly entertaining film, and that climax is easily the best part of Nolan's Batman trilogy. I'd say that TDK is a better film as a whole for being so consistently engaging. This film takes a little while to get underway, but when it does its a real thrill ride, IMO. Its definitely a worthy conclusion to this particular Batman trilogy.

Avaitor

Yeah, I hear one of TDKR's biggest problems is that it introduces 4 new characters, which kind of kills the pacing. Is that about right?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It has pacing problems, but I don't think that's a result of introducing the new characters. The first 3rd of the film is actually paced pretty fine. Its around the 2nd act where things slow down. Admittedly, some scenes do drag, but there are a a lot of slow moments in the middle of the film that I really liked. Without spoiling anything, I'll say that the prison portion of the film was was of my favorite parts of the entire trilogy, and it was completely slow and had no action. It was just about pure character development.

I thought that the climax was great, with the exception of the twist that happened near the end. A lot of people actually seemed to like that twist, and I could sort of see it coming, myself, but I honestly felt that it cheapened the threat of Bane. I won't say anymore than that, though.

What I will say is that I liked this film much better than Batman Begins, but its not on the same level as greatness as The Dark Knight, which I'm honestly OK with as its still a very satisfying conclusion to the Nolanverse of Batman. Its definitely one of the better 3rd entries in a trilogy. I'll agree with Daxdiv and say that I liked The Avengers better. The reason I like TDK better than Avengers is because that film tried to do a lot and have a lot to say and actually succeeded at a majority of it. This film tried to do a lot as well but had a fair amount of problems that its predecessor didn't have in the process, which kind of ruins its impact since ambitious films like this need to be near perfect to reach that level of greatness. Even though it wasn't, it was still a great film in its own right, but just inconsistently paced and it had some boring moments. The good still far outweighs the bad, though, IMO. That said, The Avengers, while certainly not a deep film by any stretch, was consistently fun and entertaining, which is why I say it was the best superhero movie of the summer.

talonmalon333

I've been avoiding posts here just in case (not totally sure how you guys feel about spoilers). But I'm seeing it with friends tomorrow.

Foggle

I'm going to try to reinstall the spoiler tag soon. Until then, just make spoilers hard to read somehow. Do not post them in the open.