Butch Hartman's shows

Started by Eddy, July 03, 2011, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

These are just links to his YouTube videos. What's the point?

Daxdiv

People actually donated money to this...

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

So, yeah...

Why? If FOP's still a viable enough IP that they can milk money off of it, why a janky-looking sitcom like this instead of restarting the assembly line and cranking out more shitty seasons of the old show?

Daikun

Because they'd have to start paying Hartman again. :>

Dr. Insomniac

Would they? They wouldn't need to bring back Butch in any capacity. And with a few exceptions, cartoon creators don't make that much in royalties from their work.

Daikun

Avaitor

My first thought is "who on earth could possibly want this", but then apparently the live-action show won a KCA, so maybe there's still an audience for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

It won a KCA, but it also got cancelled and pulled off Paramount+, so I don't know what the strategy is there for the franchise. Funny this is the third time the big idea to keep the IP flowing is "find a new kid for Cosmo and Wanda to be fairies to", like everybody at Nick's decided the worst part of the show is Timmy. Which isn't entirely wrong. A kid gets reality-warping fairies for over 10 seasons, and his life is still stuck in the same meandering status quo?

Daxdiv

According to the series bible, at least this new kid doesn't have an existing relation/connection with Timmy other than having Cosmo & Wanda. Though I do wonder how different the new kid will be from Chloe, since she did try to use her wishes for good as well & when it did, it blew up in her face.

Dr. Insomniac

Because adding Chloe ultimately didn't change the bigger picture, and it was still a status quo show where they had to repeat the "Be careful what you wish for" cliche to hell and back. There's only so many times you can pull out the monkey's paw trick without audiences going "Just wish for no negative side-effects on all your future wishes".

Honestly, I forgot what the appeal of FOP even was in the first place. It's one of those Nick shows I remember watching all the time as a kid but have so little nostalgia for that I don't even remember why I watched it besides having nothing else to do. At least with Danny Phantom, I can still get why people liked it since it's just Spider-Man with ghosts, but not FOP. I guess there's the whole "Here's this kid with a shitty childhood, now watch him get back at the people who wrong him by making wishes" hook the Oh Yeah shorts had, but like I said, status quo. Timmy could have wished for the worst possible thing to happen to Vicky, and we all knew they'd go back to normal by the end of the episode or movie, and everybody just gets a little worse with each season.

Like I know that's It's a Wonderful Life episode is despised, but it captures the general "Why should I give a shit?" malaise of the show. That Timmy sucks so much everyone around him would be a better person if he didn't exist. That the MC of the series is so unbelievably bad at learning how to better himself even when he has a leg up on everyone else thanks to having fairy godparents. And maybe kids like him are beyond helping.