The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I would link to the gaf thread on this, but it is probably the worst thing on the internet to emerge this year so I won't

From Inaba himself:

QuoteWould Bayonetta 2 not exist without Nintendo? The answer is yes.

We are not viewing this as a change of platform. We were looking for a partner to create Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo was a strong, cooperative partner that was willing to create and grow Bayonetta 2 together [with us]. As a result the platform became the Wii U.
Will it stop the whining? The Neogaf thread is a resounding "No."
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Daxdiv on September 24, 2012, 07:29:57 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on September 24, 2012, 07:07:26 PM
Does this really surprise anyone? I mean, has there ever been a Nintendo console (other than the DS) that wasn't region-locked?

You forgot the various forms of the Game Boy. Practically every portable up to the DSi (Some games that make use of the DSi's camera, like Pokemon Black/White won't work on a foreign DSi) was region free. Meaning I could play Mother 3 in Japanese on my GBA.

Right, forgot about that.

Quote from: Comeau on September 24, 2012, 07:48:04 PM
Technically the SNES isn't fully region locked, you can play Japanese games on a NA SNES if you break out a couple of tabs in the cartridge slot(I've even thought about doing this, since you can get a Japanese copy of Earthbound for much much much cheaper than an American version, but then I'd have to learn to read Japanese).  I think it's the same way with the N64. 

Aren't the PAL/Japanese SNES carts differently designed than the American counterparts? Or doesn't that matter?

Come to think of it, I do remember reading somewhere once that the SNES wasn't region-locked in the same sense that the Wii or whatever else is, though, so I guess the different style of cart doesn't matter in the end. I should try it one of these days (if and when I ever feel like importing).

Spark Of Spirit

Wii-U's offical launch line up:

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Skylanders Giants
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME
    Wipeout 3
    Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
    EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer 13
    TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Wii U Edition
    New Super Mario Bros. U
    NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor?s Edge
    Nintendo Land
    SiNG PARTY
    Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    WARRIORS OROCHI 3 Hyper
    Darksiders II
    Assassin?s Creed III
    ESPN Sports Connection
    Just Dance 4
    Rabbids? Land
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
    ZombiU
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Game Party Champions
    Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Other games coming out in November:

Chasing Aurora
    Cloudberry Kingdom
    Madden NFL 13
    Trine 2?: Director?s Cut
    Mighty Switch Force HD
    TANK! TANK! TANK!?
    Nano Assault Neo
    Little Inferno
    Toki Tori 2

The rest of the launch window games (between December and March):

Funky Barn
    NBA 2K13
    007 Legends
    Cabela?s Dangerous Hunts 2013
    Rapala Pro Bass Fishing
    Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
    Ben 10 Omniverse
    Family Party: 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade
    Mass Effect 3
    Game & Wario
    LEGO City: Undercover
    Pikmin 3
    Wii Fit U
    The Wonderful 101
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    JEOPARDY!
    Wheel of Fortune
    Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
    Rayman Legends
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is confirmed for March, so that's around where the known titles ends.

Apparently there are more titles to come, but for a launch period, it's pretty good. Usually the post-launch drought lasts until the March period, this time Nintendo seems to have made sure there were games coming until then.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

For a moment I almost thought I saw that there was going to be a new Darkstalkers.

That would've been too good to be true.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Isn't that still constantly being rumored by Capcom fans? It seems to be the most rumored fighting game ever.

Avaitor

I don't know, but it's a shame that when Capcom fighting games came back en vogue, they didn't even bother to attempt a revival of the franchise.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rosalinas Spare Wand

The last thing I remember reading is that new Darkstalkers was supposedly being tested on the Street Fighter x Tekken engine, but I doubt any of its validity. I just can't see modern Capcom producing another Darkstalkers when it was never that popular in the first place.

That launch window is looking impressive, and I'm pretty glad Wonderful 101 is close to being done as well as Pikmin 3. Might be picking a WiiU up sooner than I expected.

Spark Of Spirit

What's weird is that I'm kind of interested in Lego Undercover and I've never played a Lego game before and I'm not big on open world games.

But yeah, there's definitely enough on their to keep me interested (it's not like I can get all that on day one, either) until around spring when we learn about what's coming out next.

Foggle

Commode

Quote from: Foggle on October 17, 2012, 10:27:58 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/snes-inspired-wii-u-controller-spotted-6398331

Want.
Hey guess what, the North American version is now confirmed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496641

Still am fond of the rainbow buttons, the only thing from the JA/EU SNES that I prefer to the NA one.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Apparently the Wii-U is incredibly accessible to indie developers according to Two Tribes, so it looks like it might get quite a few indie games down the road.

I know I'm pretty fanboy-ish over this system, but I really like what I've seen so far.

Foggle

That's good. From what I can tell, the Wii wasn't exactly the best platform for indie devs, so hopefully there'll be even more cool stuff on the eShop this time around.

Spark Of Spirit

Launch alone apparently has Trine 2: Director's Cut, Toki Tori 2, Cloudberry Kingdom, Little Inferno, Chasing Aurora, Nano Assault Neo, Mighty Switch Force! HD, and Runner 2.

If that's the direction for indie games on the system, then I'm good.

Spark Of Spirit

The first next gen console, the Wii-U, is releasing tomorrow! I think on this board only myself and Daxdiv are getting it at this point, but feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll try to address them when I've got it.

I'm getting NSMBU and Sonic Racing, and hopefully can get Trine 2 on the eshop, while my friend is getting SING Party, Scribblenauts Unlimited and NSMBU with his. I'm not sure what else we'll find (or what Dax is getting), but if you have any questions about those titles I'll also try to answer them.

Foggle

I want to get one, but that probably won't be happening until late next year, or possibly 2014.