The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

This thread is for the next generation of console games (and PC upgrades, I guess), specifically the 8th generation of consoles.

That would be:

Nintendo 3DS
PlayStation Vita
Nintendo Wii-U
Xbox "Durango"
PlayStation 4

What do you expect from these systems? Bets for how the generation goes? Who will go bankrupt first? How long will this one last?

This generation might be the most surprising yet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

My predictions:

Nintendo 3DS - Far better than the DS
PlayStation Vita - Far worse than the PSP
Nintendo Wii-U - Better than the Wii, but for different reasons
Xbox "Durango" - On par with the 360's later years
PlayStation 4 - On par with the PS3 unless they really do implement that always-online DRM shit
16-core PC running 4 GTX 690s in SLI - Master race

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have a feeling that Nintendo will have the best software output next generation by far, but gaming critics and modern gamers alike will totally snub the console just because of some idiotic bias that they've developed towards Nintendo ever since the Wii came out. If its not the complaint of Nintendo having too many "kiddy" games on it (which was a BS notion to begin with), it'll turn into something like Nintendo being too gimmicky or not having the same specs as the other HD consoles (which I feel will barely even matter next gen, anyways).

I have a feeling that Microsoft will got in even further in a direction that I'm not interested in, yet modern gamers will probably love it and praise the hell out of it. As for the PS4, I predict that it'll pretty much be on the same level of quality as the PS3. So, in other words, if you like the PS3, then you'll probably like the PS4 just as much, and if not, then....yeah, not much there that'll interest you.

The Nintendo 3DS will pretty much enjoy as much success as the DS, and the PS Vita will probably remain under the radar for the entirety of the next generation, just like it has so far.

Rynnec

First of all, what the hell kind of name is "Durango"?

As for predictions: kind of hard to say right now with so little information on the PS4 and Durango. But, if I were to predict who would fall first, it would be Sony. The Vita bombed, the PS3 sold the worst out of last gen, and on top of all that, I believe Sony is facing financial issues. If the PS4 DRM and used game rumours prove to be true, then that's it for them.

I'm betting the Wii U will be the system everybody owns. It already has a headstart, which means more exclusives. Plus with household names like Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros, it looks to be a good start for Nintendo's next-gen.

As for the length, I'd say this one will last a good while, if this gen was any indication.

For the handhelds: 3DS is kicking ass and taking names, the Vita's a flop, and it'll take a miracle for it to keep up with Nintendo, and the Smartphone is insignificant, despite what the media tells you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on August 15, 2012, 10:13:26 PM
First of all, what the hell kind of name is "Durango"?

Its just a code-name for the next XBOX console. Companies sometimes do this for upcoming products as they don't want to reveal its proper name until they've finalized one. They did the same thing with the Kinnect which was originally under the code-name Natal.

Foggle

I think Durango is a pretty cool name, actually. Way better than Wii-U, at least.

I honestly think that the phasing out of used games could (not WOULD) actually be a good thing, that is if console publishers and retailers handled it like Steam does. Tons of $5-10 sales for completely new products instead of price-gouging on poorly-maintained used ones? Yes please. It definitely wouldn't happen like that, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If all games were digitally distributed next gen, then they could do that. But, there's no way in hell that they'd be able to do that with retail outlets, since they can't just force every Best Buy or GameStop to have sale on games just like that. There's a lot of legal shit that interferes with that, and the store owners that distribute the games do have a right to not offer up sales if they don't want to.

Rynnec

Now that I think about it, "Durango" does kinda sound like a cool name, just not a name I'd expect from a console, figures its just a codename.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 15, 2012, 10:26:17 PM
If all games were digitally distributed next gen, then they could do that. But, there's no way in hell that they'd be able to do that with retail outlets, since they can't just force every Best Buy or GameStop to have sale on games just like that. There's a lot of legal shit that interferes with that, and the store owners that distribute the games do have a right to not offer up sales if they don't want to.
Yeah, that's true.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

People don't buy phones for games, so sales arguments never make any sense to me. But as for systems:

Nintendo 3DS - Right now it's outdoing the DS, and I think it will do very well in the long run, but come up short of the DS in sales. Quality-wise, I'm expecting it to match or even outdo the GBA library. In the end, this will probably be the best system of the entire generation.

PlayStation Vita - I feel sorry for this one. Sony threw it out to the dogs and let it get obliterated. With the DS and PSP audience moving to the 3DS, it's going to take a Monster Hunter level game to bring this up (and it will have to be impossible to put on the 3DS for it to matter), but I just don't see it happening. If this can glide by, it might develop a cult and niche library, but it will fall short of the PSP in the end. And no PS2 classic support? LAME.

Nintendo Wii-U - Japan will do great, here it will continue to do well thanks to first party Nintendo. As for Western third parties? Well, ports are possible, but unless it shoots off in its first two years, I expect a lot of randomly missing third party games. The lack of games like Overstrike announced for it is very worrying, for example.

Xbox "Durango" - Everyone's already bet the horse on this one. But it will bomb in Japan, so JP support will be pretty weak here. Third party western games, however? They will all be here. The problem is Microsoft itself. What will they do with their properties? Will Kinect by back? Smartglass? What is their focus. IMO, this will remain the COD system.

PlayStation 4 - Poor, poor, Sony. They have no real chance in Japan unless they outright copy the pad from the Wii-U, and they will not go for power again after the PS3 underperformed so western third parties might be ambivalent. I don't think anyone expects much from Sony this gen, honestly. If they don't go third party, I don't really see them getting back in the green.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 15, 2012, 10:29:44 PM
Now that I think about it, "Durango" does kinda sound like a cool name, just not a name I'd expect from a console, figures its just a codename.
Revolution, Starcube, Ultra, Neptune, Katana... System code-names can be pretty cool.

Quote from: Foggle on August 15, 2012, 10:31:52 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 15, 2012, 10:26:17 PM
Yeah, that's true.
It's a lot easier for the PC market since physical PC copies hardly sell, but for games like COD or Mario? Taking away physical copies would hurt. And Gamestop needs the used market to continue, so I don't think anything will be done to combat it short of making better games that cost less.

All that noise about online-only DRM will kill whatever system embraces it.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 10:33:55 PM
PlayStation 4 - Poor, poor, Sony. They have no real chance in Japan
I always thought Japan was a nation of Takaos in regards to their Sony worship.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on August 15, 2012, 11:21:10 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 10:33:55 PM
PlayStation 4 - Poor, poor, Sony. They have no real chance in Japan
I always thought Japan was a nation of Takaos in regards to their Sony worship.
Home consoles are bombing badly in Japan right now due to most families only having a single TV. Nintendo and their pad idea making the console pseudo-portable and not needing a TV is in part to capture that audience.

If Sony doesn't copy Nintendo, I don't see how they're gonna get that elusive market Nintendo is cornering. Nintendo already outdid Sony with portables this gen,if they get them with the next console, I'm not sure what will happen.

Spark Of Spirit

All Wii-U info here from the conference:

Launch Date: November 18th, 2012
Price: $299 Standard Bundle, $349 Deluxe (Deluxe includes NintendoLand, charging cradles, stands, and more memory)
Hard-drive: You can use ANY hard-drive you want with the system

Games announced:
Bayonetta 2 (Wii-U exclusive)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Cross play with 3DS version)
007 Legends
Epic Mickey 2
P-100 is now called The Wonderful 101

Launch titles:
only New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand have been confirmed for launch day still with more to come...
Every other game shown will be out in the launch quarter, however.

There were a lot more games shown but I would need a list to post them all here.

So all in all, the important info has been revealed for the system. Now I have to wait for EB to finally allow preorders... however long that will take.