The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

I'll be getting the Wii U tomorrow as well, so you can add me to the list.  :thumbup:

I can't afford to actually be purchasing new games right now, so I'll stick with rentals. I already ordered Darksiders II  and Tank! Tank! Tank! from Gamefly. I should be getting NSMBU as a X-mas gift.

Commode

Depending on the supply issue, I plan to get one sometime next spring.  We'll see though.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

I just got the call from EB confirming my pre-order and asking if I wanted anything set aside for accessories. By the time they called my friend after me they were out of Pro Controllers. Since the place is opening at 8 tomorrow and I won't be able to get there by noon I hope most of the crowds will have drifted off.

Quote from: Rynnec on November 17, 2012, 04:18:19 PM
I'll be getting the Wii U tomorrow as well, so you can add me to the list.  :thumbup:
Oh, cool! I'd really like to hear your thoughts, too. Especially on TTT, since I'm really interested in it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 17, 2012, 05:52:04 PM
Oh, cool! I'd really like to hear your thoughts, too. Especially on TTT, since I'm really interested in it.
Same here. I'll probably be picking up the PS3 version sometime soon, so I'd like to know if it'll be worth double-dipping when I eventually get a U (signs currently point to yes).

Spark Of Spirit

Frozenbyte talks eshop

Quote"We started working with the Wii U back in March, right after Nintendo contacted us for the first time. We had the port of Trine 2 working in about two days and then after that it was just about getting the game to look nicer and to implement the touch screen related features."

- developers set their prices
- devs determine when they have sales

"That's what we love about the new eShop. We have the power to price our products as we please, with just some basic guidelines from the big guys. The step to this is purely from Nintendos's side and they clearly see that [their] previous installments have not been up to par. We can set our own pricing and actually continuing on that by setting our own sales whenever we want. It is very close to what Apple and Steam are doing at the moment, and very indie friendly. As a small company we rely a lot on the long term sales of our games, not just how well the game does in the first month. Selling for more than two of the first weeks has been very difficult on the console side so far."

- no basic payments for each patch
- devs can update their game almost limitlessly

"We expect it (the approval process) to be longer than what Steam has, but still very competitive compared to the current console standards."

- adding in DLC is also free for devs

"Nintendo messed up the worst last time around. Now they really know that they have to make a huge improvement to get back into the game. What I have seen and heard so far is amazing and it's definitely going in the right direction as far as small developers are concerned."

- Wii U will have a larger shopping environment than 3DS eShop

"Now we can actually just upload videos about our game after the launch and still have the players come back and have a conversation about it. This makes it possible for everyone to continue that mutual relationship a lot further, rather than having it stop at the transaction.

Nintendo's eShop has the possibility of showing the way for the future of downloadable games on consoles. Not everything is up to par, but so far it looks like a far superior channel to be a part of. We hope that companies like us realize that and more indie games become available on the Wii U eShop. In the end this is how we see the future of console gaming and hopefully we are not too far away from that reality."
So basically think of Steam on a console, and indie devs finally have a console that's friendly to them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Right now I'm getting Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land. I MIGHT get Sonic and All-Stars Racing and maybe ZombiU. Still debating on getting more games.

Interesting enough, I ended up getting a personal message from GameStop today. It wasn't that Erin or whoever that automated lady was, it was actually someone that works at the store telling me that the store is opening at 10, there are special deals and shit, and that I have 48 hours to pick it up. Good to know.

Commode

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500343

Wait, what the fuck?  That cannot be real, how can they expect that much of people?

Yeah, I'm waiting this out, sorry guys.  Nintendo, fix your shit, I'll see you in five months.

Spark Of Spirit

Ouch, that's harsh- especially for basic owners. If I wasn't buying a big hard-drive specifically for the Wii0U it might effect me, though.

Commode

So uh, guys?  How about this Wii U, what are your impressions on it?  Reading GAF isn't reassuring, a lot of people are having issues with it(i guess some of the games don't run well, amongst other things) and are not happy with the console so far.

I mean, look at this normally happy Nintendrone lose his shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44532816#post44532816

You know red bold letters means serious business.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Comeau on November 19, 2012, 07:04:53 PM
So uh, guys?  How about this Wii U, what are your impressions on it?  Reading GAF isn't reassuring, a lot of people are having issues with it(i guess some of the games don't run well, amongst other things) and are not happy with the console so far.

I mean, look at this normally happy Nintendrone lose his shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44532816#post44532816

You know red bold letters means serious business.

Since when have the the complaints of random fans mattered? :P

Besides, consoles these days frequently don't work perfectly at first. Hence why I'm against buying them at launch.

Foggle

QuoteNin-Network Acct locked to system it was made on
This is something I've always feared would become commonplace on consoles, and why I rarely ever purchase digital downloads on them.

Rynnec

People (including myself) have been having trouble downloading the system update.

Daxdiv

That's pretty weird. Spark had to send his WiiU to be repaired and you can't get your system to update, while I had no problems on my end on both fronts. Damn.

Spark Of Spirit

I'll explain it here, after I got my U home, I downloaded all the updates and transferred my Wii stuff and the system refused to read any discs. I had to wrangle info through phone calls and I sent my system out. So my only impression I can tell you is that the Gamepad is actually awesome (I did a lot of updating and system settings while watching TV) and I added my friend to my friend list in literally two seconds. Also, I tied my Club Nintendo account to my Wii-U quite easily as well.

Slow loading times aside (and that I had to send mine in for a disc drive issue), the core system is really cool. All they need to do is tie the Wii shop and the eshop together and improve the loading and most of my problems with it are solved.

To be honest, the launch could have been better, but at the same time I'm surprised it isn't worse off. Once launch anarchy settles, I expect people to calm down and Nintendo to get their ducks in a row like they usually do.

Rynnec

You're problems started after transferring your Wii stuff? Guess I should be extra, extra careful one I transfer mine. :sweat:

Anyway, my cousing came over yesterday and we got to play lots of Nintendo Land. Great stuff, easilly one of the best "casual" multiplayer games I've ever played. It blows Mii Sports out of the water.