The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Just a little while ago, I heard that Virtual Console games transferred from the Wii to the Wii U can't be played with the pro controller.

Spark Of Spirit

They can't. The upgraded Wii-U VC games can.

You can play the Wii VC games in Wii Mode, but you can only use things like the wiimote and classic controller to control everything. When the Wii-U VC comes out you get the option of converting them to the Wii-U for a dollar or so to get Off-TV play and the extra features like Miiverse integration.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

So when I get a U and transfer my Wii VC games to it, I'll be able to upgrade them to use the pro controller and all that fun stuff?

Spark Of Spirit

When the VC officially releases, yes. The upgrades are definitely handy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

The thing is, as we all knew, holding the Wiimote sideways was a good way to play NES Virtual Console games. And the classic controller was good for SNES games. The N64 controller is so awkward and has nothing like it, but thankfully the GameCube controller works for N64 Virtual Console games as that's just a great controller anyway. Plus, there are only 4-5 Nintendo 64 games that I remotely care about. And nearly all of them had GameCube sequels, and thus using the GameCube controller for their VC versions played well using mostly the same control scheme as the sequel. But of course, GameCube controllers don't work on the Wii U. So that's not an option here.

I just wonder what games like the N64 Zelda games are like. The GameCube buttons were laid out in a convenient way to replace the N64's C buttons. However, the classic controller has nothing like that. In fact, I don't think the pro controller does either, so I wonder how that will be.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, now that the second analog stick is above the buttons, it's not too much like reaching for the C-buttons on the N64 controller. But I'm a bad one to comment on this since I really had no problem playing N64 games with it.

Foggle

Commode

Xbox One.  Not Xbox 720 or Xbox Infinity, but Xbox One.

And it's hideous, it looks like an old school cable box.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I take it I'm not the only person who thought they were revamping and re-releasing the original XBOX when I heard the term XBOX ONE? Seriously, what an oddly misleading name for the 3rd XBOX console. But, whatever.

Much like how the last few years of the XBOX360 were mostly uneventful and uninteresting, this new XBOX, as predicted, has done absolutely nothing to catch any of my interest. I really think that Microsoft will come out doing the worst this generation, and they deserve to do the worst. The people behind the XBOX consoles are a bunch of ignorant pricks who wouldn't know the first thing about gaming if it shot them in the face. That's not to say that I'm interested in the PS4, but at least Sony's trying to market actual games, rather than just useless software that nobody over the age of 7 is actually going to use.

The only positive thing that I can say about the XBOX ONE so far is that at least they had enough sense to improve the d-pad on their controller. And....yeah, that's not really saying much at all.

Grave

Heh, Microsoft's not really giving me any reason to upgrade from my 360 at all (I refuse to watch these conferences anymore).

"Change channel while you talk"... I understand that Microsoft is it's own computer thingy, but, really? This is stuff that I don't care for.

I need to see the games.

Kiddington

...and people actually thought the Wii U was in trouble.

Commode

lol

...and no Xbox 360 backwards compatibly(why these companies have such a starch viewpoint against BC I don't understand), and it blocks used games, as expected.

Yeah, no sale.

GaryPotter

What about the always on thing?

Grave

Quote from: GaryPotter on May 21, 2013, 01:44:37 PM
What about the always on thing?

It was stated that that was false or they backed out of that earlier this month or late last month. I think there was an article about it at either Gamespot or Joystiq.

Commode

No, surprisingly that is not a limitation.  And used games aren't completely blocked; you can use them, but you gotta pay.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/