The Next Gen Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, August 15, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryPotter

I'll be honest, I'm kind of getting tired of seeing so many complaints about the lack of backwards compatibility. Until the PS2, that was never an issue. If you want to play your old games, keep your old systems.

With that said...

I echo the sentiment that there's no reason to buy this system instead of a PC. Even though supposedly it will have a bucket of exclusives, I'll bet any amount of money they won't stay exclusive for very long.

I actually feel bad for GameStop right now.

Grave

Quote from: GaryPotter on May 21, 2013, 05:41:27 PM
I'll be honest, I'm kind of getting tired of seeing so many complaints about the lack of backwards compatibility. Until the PS2, that was never an issue. If you want to play your old games, keep your old systems.

Agreed, but one could argue that the older systems clog up space. Personally, I shrug at that, especially with all the HD remakes that's been coming out as of late.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Grave on May 21, 2013, 05:49:53 PM

Agreed, but one could argue that the older systems clog up space. Personally, I shrug at that, especially with all the HD remakes that's been coming out as of late.
Under my TV in my small room I have a NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii-U. I have no more room for new consoles, and BC helps me save on space. Having Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, and PS1 would certainly do nothing to help.

I have wanted BC since the NES came out, by the way. It was actually a major selling point of the PS2 for me.

So yeah, it's a big deal to me.  :)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2013, 05:57:14 PM

Under my TV in my small room I have a NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii-U. I have no more room for new consoles, and BC helps me save on space. Having Gamecube, Xbox, Wii, and PS1 would certainly do nothing to help.

I have wanted BC since the NES came out, by the way. It was actually a major selling point of the PS2 for me.

So yeah, it's a big deal to me.  :)

See what I mean? :) And I can't say I blame Spark for feeling that way either (or those who're heavily into Retro games). I know how it feels too since I only own a PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 and I'm struggling to find room (with the Fight Sticks and the movies that I own.. Perhaps it's time to get rid of some cases. And I'm still trying to find room for my laptop. I may need to buy 2 entertainment centers or something). But since I'm all for re-releases I have no issues with no BC so I shrug off those complaints.

Rynnec

Removing backwards compatibility also feels like a step...well, backwards. I can live without BC, but at the same time, I'd rather have that than some stupid voice menu feature (who seriously give a fuck about that?)

The reveal was a joke. Every single second of the show was a joke. The Xbox One just failed to impress me in the slightest, none of the features shown were interesting, not one. The Halo thing sounds pretty cool, but that's about it. The games just look like the same AAA stuff that we've always been getting since last gen. Then there was Call of Duty: Ghosts, which was supposed to be the big thing, but it was just as embarrasing as everything else (A dog? Seriously?). And then there was the graphics wanking, ugh. I honestly couldn't care less about some dude's hairy arms, the dirt under their fingernails, or the scars on a dog. Why do we still care about graphics at this point?

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

Quote from: Rynnec on May 21, 2013, 06:15:06 PM

Why do we still care about graphics at this point?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like graphics. I like looking at CGI that just wow's me. Sure it's not the most important thing when it comes to games, but unfortunately that's the time we live in. Don't get me wrong, I like gameplay as well. It's the first thing I look for, but it has to attract me in order for me to even get interested, but then again I'm just greedy. I want it all (although I can live without a story).

No doubt Microsoft failed though, but then again, I won't jump the gun just yet and say they failed. No telling what people are into these days (Cause I certainly don't know anymore. Feel like I've been left outta some loop), but they certainly lost me with the whole pay a fee for to install a used game.

Avaitor

So basically, if your area is affected by a natural disaster which affects your connectivity or if you're going on a trip and can't bring your console with you, you can't use the console anymore.

I really hope I read that wrong.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on May 21, 2013, 06:39:05 PM
So basically, if your area is affected by a natural disaster which affects your connectivity or if you're going on a trip and can't bring your console with you, you can't use the console anymore.

I really hope I read that wrong.
If you don't live in about less than 1% of North America, never mind the rest of the world, your system will not function right.

Just what I want to pay money for.

Rynnec

I think this is going to be it for the Xbox, guys.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

They can probably patch some of these issues later if the backlash is strong enough. 24 hour sign ins is just insane and unfeasible for most of the world.

Still, One's already going the way of launch period PS3.

Rynnec

They pretty much have to, eventually.

I'd also like to know what went into the naming process. Because the name "Xbox One" will only confuse people. I guess it's a reference to how it as one system can do all this different stuff, but they still could've settled on something less confusing.

talonmalon333

I hate having too many consoles plugged in. :P