What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 09, 2013, 10:49:17 PM
The ball rolling and manta riding mini-games are terrible. The spider web flinging and bubble blowing ones are even worse. The trash destroying mini-game with the bob-ombs that take 10 seconds to explode is one of the worst in VG history.

They don't take up that much of the game percentage-wise, but they're complete garbage, and I got stuck on them for far longer than any legitimate platforming gameplay. Outside of shooters, motion controls = shit in every single game I've played except MadWorld and NMH IMO. Nothing fun about that crap at all.

The only one of those things I got particularly stuck on was the bob-omb trash game, thought I don't fault the game for that. I bet you just suck at it. :sly:

Foggle

Why do the bob-ombs take 10 seconds to explode? They take 3-5 in the other games. It's artificial difficulty at its worst.

Also, I found the manta riding game incredibly easy. Doesn't make it fun.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 09, 2013, 10:56:25 PM
Why do the bob-ombs take 10 seconds to explode?

Because they are used in unison with the game's platforming to get through certain obstacles.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 09, 2013, 11:04:51 PM
Because they are used in unison with the game's platforming to get through certain obstacles.
Like, once. Maybe twice. And even then, 3-5 seconds would have been enough.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on September 09, 2013, 11:06:18 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 09, 2013, 11:04:51 PM
Like, once. Maybe twice. And even then, 3-5 seconds would have been enough.

I actually remember a few times just barely getting to a certain destination with it. You also have to remember the times when you have to lead bob-ombs to certain locations without carrying them.

Foggle

I dunno, I think you might be confusing bob-ombs with bullet bills. Those chase you around the levels to break objects at least once every 15 minutes. I just beat the game, and can only recall very scant bob-omb usage.

gunswordfist

I started playing Dead Rising 2 for the first time ever yesterday. More fun did I thought it would be but man did my habit of wanting everyone to survive cost me. I reloaded so many times.

Today I erased DR2 so I could play Case Zero. Guh, even more reloading files. I can't find the last bike piece to save my life so I'll just restart the story for more time. I've been practically speed running parts of the game.
I got what I'll do and in which order in mind
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I got about half-way through the City of the Dead dungeon in Darksiders II. By this point, the game has lasted me for well-over 20 hours, so the same old tricks are starting to become kind of stale, but I feel compelled enough to see everything through since I do think that I'm starting to get close to the end of the game (or, maybe there's more left than I expect). I do really like that I at least got a new ability, though, in which I can now split Death into 2 separate halves, which leads to its own set of interesting puzzles, though they have been a bit too easy for the most part, which is strange considering how late into the game I already am. Still, the game is enjoyable enough for the most part, though I doubt I'll be replaying it after I complete it. At that point, I'll probably end up going back to my DMD run of DMC3, as well as my playthrough of BioShock: Infinite.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on September 09, 2013, 10:56:25 PM
Also, I found the manta riding game incredibly easy. Doesn't make it fun.

The fun isn't in playing it the right way. The fun is riding that thing off of high heights and listening to it scream bloody fucking murder.  :joy:

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on September 10, 2013, 12:08:31 AM
The fun isn't in playing it the right way. The fun is riding that thing off of high heights and listening to it scream bloody fucking murder.  :joy:
It all makes sense now! :lol:

Really, though, fantastic game. I just have a low tolerance for non-platforming in platformers (unless it's done really well). The ball rolling and bubble navigation bits could have been tons of fun had they used the control stick. The motion controls and IR stuff detracted a lot from the game for me.

Nel_Annette

I thought Fluzzard in SMG2 was worse, honestly. And the amount of swearing I did when I realized that the Loftwing in Skyward Sword used the exact same controls... there are no words.  :srs:

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on September 10, 2013, 12:45:23 AM
I thought Fluzzard in SMG2 was worse, honestly. And the amount of swearing I did when I realized that the Loftwing in Skyward Sword used the exact same controls... there are no words.  :srs:
Oh fuck no, I forgot about that... suddenly dreading going through SMG2 again now.

Nel_Annette

While I do think the sequel is ultimately the better game, it does have a lot more of those "oh fuck this shit" ragequit missions in the later game than the first SMG ever had, imo.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel_Annette on September 10, 2013, 12:56:17 AM
While I do think the sequel is ultimately the better game, it does have a lot more of those "oh fuck this shit" ragequit missions in the later game than the first SMG ever had, imo.
I honestly don't remember there being that many, but then again, it has been 3 years, and the games had kind of blended together over time until I finally decided to replay the first one...

Nel_Annette

Yeah, I'll occasionally mix up which levels were in which games, but I remember my ragequits in SMG2 well. The worst of which usually involved those awful shadow clones. Can't believe they brought that crap back in the 3DS game.