What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 23, 2013, 05:00:51 PM
In regard to the Kamiya not doing sequels thing, to be fair, the sequel can still be great even without his input. I think that DMC3 is a prime example of this (even if it's technically a prequel).
Yep. Viewtiful Joe 2 was also excellent, and Bayonetta 2 looks amazing as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on September 23, 2013, 05:06:13 PMYep. Viewtiful Joe 2 was also excellent, and Bayonetta 2 looks amazing as well.

Yeah, and unlike DMC3 which was done by a completely different studio/development team, Bayonetta 2 actually has the advantage of still being made by Platinum Games, so obviously there are a bunch of people working on it who know what the hell they're doing.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Micki!

I gave the new Shadow Warrior a swing, and I gotta say, I freaking love it..! Slicing enemies to bits, getting rewarded for killing with some variety and the humor in the game itself is really doing things just right..!

I honestly just expected Painkiller with an asian theme, but it feels like a really nice re-imagining of Shadow Warrior, I'm really happy of the game right now, I hope it stays consistently fun like this throughout the rest of the game ;D
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Daxdiv

After getting a petition signed in Animal Crossing New Leaf in exchange for Katie the cat coming over to my town a few days ago, Katie has decided that she wants to see another town. Anyone willing to help me out here?

EDIT: Nevermind, I actually found someone else that allowed me to bring Katie over. Thank you Turnip spikers.

Grave

Dynasty Warriors 7
Just finished Shu's storyline and that seemed like it took forever. When I say I want replay value, this is kind of what I mean. the Musou games maybe repetitive, but they certainly know how to make me want to come back for more. Outside of Shu, there's 3 more storylines to play, and with DW7 just being mindless fun I don't see myself getting bored anytime soon, but it does kind of suck that you can only play as certain characters in the main story. I would love to play as Ma Chao in the story. Speaking of story, it comes across as corny, but at the same time I just like the 12 kingdoms storyline (I really need to watch the Twelve Kingdoms anime).

Onward to Mass Effect.

Spark Of Spirit

Wonderful 101 is in the bag!

So Kamiya is a shonen fan. He wrote this whole story which is basically a shonen anime set to crazy weapon switching gameplay focused on an alien takeover from a hostile race and a cast of characters that are quite wacky. Yet I've enjoyed it more than any battle shonen I've seen in years. He doesn't even write these things for a living and he beat most of the shonen authors currently out in Japan. Just, wow.

That aside, great game! I somehow made it through normal difficulty despite my sub-par third person gaming skills and saw the credits feeling like I'd earned them. Basically, think Platinum action game meets Nintendo level polish and you've got the Wonderful 101 which is probably going to end up being my favorite game from them. Slow dodge, bomb unite secondary, followed by an onslaught of claw and hammer is just too satisfying against the alien robot scourge.

Though I have to admit I was garbage at certain boss fights and mostly stumbled my way through them (slow dodge and spike roll really help a lot for people like me who can't seem to catch patterns fast enough) and some set pieces I fumbled across, but as a whole I still managed to pull myself through. It definitely didn't feel as daunting as these games usually are to me.

After Viewtiful Joe and this, I think Kamiya should handle all superhero games from now on. He's the only one I've seen that nailed everything in one game that you'd want to see from a superhero game ramped up to 11. That this game isn't a million seller is a real shame, but I guess it's t be expected. I hope it has legs at least.

So far, this would be my GOTY.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Actually, I'd say all of Platinum's games have been very polished outside of God Hand, Anarchy Reigns, and maybe MadWorld. But yeah, W101 sounds great. Can't wait to play it!

Spark Of Spirit

I don't mean they were buggy or anything, I mean in things like visual style, special effects and music. The original concept was not as good as the final one when Nintendo gave them the suggestions. The final product has an added 'oomph' to it, though I think the rock solid 60fps and bouncy comic style helps with that.

Kamiya's been asking if anyone wants a third person hack n slash starring Blue, and while I would be down with that, I'd prefer more of the hyper-serious Red or the awkward Yellow. Though obviously I'd like a sequel above all! All the characters are worth revisiting. Wonder Red for Smash Bros, please.

I just hope the game has legs like NMH and Wario Land had on the Wii since both started slow in the early days of the Wii then eventually became successes. But either way, it's great. Easily the most fun I've ever had with a third person action game and I actually managed to beat it!

Nel_Annette

Mmmm, currently in my gaming "circle" so to speak is:

-Grand Theft Auto V
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf
-Spelunky

I've got the following in their systems and waiting to go.
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring Of Fates
-Riviera: The Promised Land

Backlog bad. Backlog baaaad! I don't even really want to play the FF games, but I own them, so I feel I should at least takes them for a spin. I got Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl in the mail today, and The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD comes in Friday, but I really only got that for the Ganondorf figure. Once I get paid I'm going to order the special edition of South Park: The Stick of Truth for PS3.

VLordGTZ

This is what I've been playing lately:
- Shin Megami Tensei IV
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
- Super Luigi U
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- Kid Icarus: Uprising

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 02, 2013, 10:28:27 PM
Mmmm, currently in my gaming "circle" so to speak is:

-Grand Theft Auto V
-Xenoblade Chronicles
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf
-Spelunky

I've got the following in their systems and waiting to go.
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring Of Fates
-Riviera: The Promised Land

Backlog bad. Backlog baaaad! I don't even really want to play the FF games, but I own them, so I feel I should at least takes them for a spin. I got Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl in the mail today, and The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD comes in Friday, but I really only got that for the Ganondorf figure. Once I get paid I'm going to order the special edition of South Park: The Stick of Truth for PS3.
Spelunky has been kicking my butt.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 02, 2013, 11:59:55 PM

But you keep playing, and you get a little better each time. And that's how the addiction starts. I've beaten Hell almost eight times now and I still love going back in. Really have a love for games with randomized levels and rogue-aspects.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Nel_Annette on October 03, 2013, 12:32:21 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on October 02, 2013, 11:59:55 PM

But you keep playing, and you get a little better each time. And that's how the addiction starts. I've beaten Hell almost eight times now and I still love going back in. Really have a love for games with randomized levels and rogue-aspects.
Whoa, I've never even made it there.

So yesterday, after playing hundreds of times, I got to a new stage in Spelunky! It's entrance was at the spooky version of the jungle and it looked like the temple levels but with green knights and some guys bouncing around with a shield and the level said something about a wolf. I got a new character there. He ended up getting killed by a ghost because it took me forever to find a way to advance in the area with one bomb. I got stuck between the ghost and an exploding frog with 1 health left and then the frog explosion killed me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Kay, so Scribblenauts is tons of fun.

I should've gotten into this series years ago.