What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Today, I finally accomplished something I have never done in a Pokemon game, catching all the mons there are. All 649 of them, all before X/Y hits the streets all in White 2 Version.  It required a lot of usage from my Gen IV games to even Gen III to get them all. Even used one of my broken DSes to use Pal Park in Gen IV.

But I'm actually kind of glad that whenever I get Y and the PokeBank opens, I'm gonna to have an easy time to get them all in. It does kind of make me wonder if they'll have some other reward for completing the dex in Gen VI. White 2 gave me 3 different rewards, for seeing all the Pokemon in Unova has to offer, I was given a pass to go to this island where a Shiny Haxorus lived, then for catching all the monsters Unova has to offer, they gave me a charm that increases eggs left at the daycare. As for catching every single Pokemon barring event legendaries, they give you a Shiny Charm which increases the chance to get a Shiny Pokemon from the wild and breeding. Hey, at least this shit felt worth while other than getting some shitty diploma, increasing eggs and getting shiny are pretty good rewards if you're into breeding and getting Shiny mons. Hell, even before I got that gem, when I was trying to grind up my mons, I encountered a shiny Throh. Sucks that I can barely tell the difference between them, but I welcome Ernie with open arms and will probably interact with him in the Aime, along with my other legitimate shiny mon captures.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

gunswordfist

Yesterday I redownloaded Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I found the TMNT and Jaws missions/Easter Eggs, killed every animal type, headshot every enemy type, killed the one horned Blood Dragon and liberated every garrison. The last garrison was fun because I actually used stealth for once and I killed most/half the enemies by leaping from underwater, dragging them down back with me and stabbing them while having the ability to take out their cyberhearts with each stealth kill before going in guns blazing. I think I have one or two side missions left.

I've also started playing Shank 2 online a few days ago.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl.

It's a remake of the first game from 2007. The added story mode is pretty cool. The original plot is still there, but the new characters, plot, and areas they give you are basically overlaid onto it. So after say, an old plot point happens, before you go on to what the original game did next, the added plot will bring you sideways for a new dungeon and to move on the new characters' development. And if you know the original plot you can pretty much tell what's going on with this added stuff. And if you never played the original, party member Raquna basically spoils Etrian Odyssey's big twist right in the first hour of the game with a simple location name-drop. Oopsie? I know when the big twist comes, and I can say that if this were my first time playing the game, it wouldn't shock me as much as the first time around simply because of what she says near the beginning.

The game has all the updates to the interface that IV had, including the new difficulty settings, and it even takes a few things further in convenience, which I really appreciate. The soundtrack has been remixed, and while the use of real instruments now is really good, I do prefer a few of the original 2007 game's version of songs. All in all a good purchase. I just wonder if they're going to milk it by making an Untold version of EO2 and EO3 with added plot. I bought EO3 in 2010 with all the pre-order bonuses and everything, and I still never popped that thing into the DS. Would be a shame if a remake came out before I had a chance to.  :lol:

Avaitor

Despite having the game since it came out, I FINALLY started playing Epic Mickey today.

It's fun, but I can see where the criticism comes from. The camera is way whack, while I started to get bored after only a couple of hours in. I like the game's throwback to N64-era platformers, as well as the Disney fun, but I can only play so much at a time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

The game still gets a lot of flak, but I like it, as well as both of the sequels(gaf really hates Power of Two especially for some reason). Similarly, the Castle of Illusion has caught some flak, but I want to check that one out too.

Got Pokemon X and am having a ton of fun with it so far.  There's quite a bit of content, lots of variety of Pokemon to catch(they have wild Eevees man!).  I haven't even got to the second gym yet, been too busy doing other stuff.

The one thing that I'm iffy on is the Exp. Share.  Instead of letting one Pokemon hold it and gain points, all Pokemon in your party get points, thus grow fast.  It's cool because usually I have my starter and one or two other Pokemon pretty strong while the rest of my party is weak and this balances it out, but on the other hand it kind of makes the game easier than it has to be.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Yeah, I have the Wii version of the sequel, too. I'll probably get to it after I'm done.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Comeau on October 13, 2013, 09:57:58 AMThe one thing that I'm iffy on is the Exp. Share.  Instead of letting one Pokemon hold it and gain points, all Pokemon in your party get points, thus grow fast.  It's cool because usually I have my starter and one or two other Pokemon pretty strong while the rest of my party is weak and this balances it out, but on the other hand it kind of makes the game easier than it has to be.

Honestly, that sounds like a feature that would appeal to me. I hate the excessive grinding it takes in other Pokemon games in order to get your entire party up to decent levels, so I usually end up doing the same thing as you and just get 2 or 3 of my Pokemon really strong and use them throughout most of the game, while delegating the rest in my party just for basic functions (like Surf, Cut, Fly, etc.). To me, if the developers managed to make it so that you don't have to grind as much to level up all of your Pokemon, and instead fill in that time with interesting side-quests, then that's just better game design, regardless of whether it's easier or not. That said, I can't really talk too much about it since I don't even own a DS or 3DS, so I don't know how the game really is, but I really do want to play it.

talonmalon333

I agree with E-K, at least when it comes to the Pokemon games I played.

Grinding is also the reason why, since I first played the original Pokemon games in the late 90s, I never had any issues with using the legendary bird Pokemon (in addition to me finding them really fun to use) in my main party, even though my friends didn't like that.

Nel_Annette

Yeah, I'm lazy and love the new EXP Share.

What I don't like are the player's four friends. Just as annoying as Barry from D/P/P, honestly.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 13, 2013, 01:23:23 PM
Quote from: Comeau on October 13, 2013, 09:57:58 AMThe one thing that I'm iffy on is the Exp. Share.  Instead of letting one Pokemon hold it and gain points, all Pokemon in your party get points, thus grow fast.  It's cool because usually I have my starter and one or two other Pokemon pretty strong while the rest of my party is weak and this balances it out, but on the other hand it kind of makes the game easier than it has to be.

Honestly, that sounds like a feature that would appeal to me. I hate the excessive grinding it takes in other Pokemon games in order to get your entire party up to decent levels, so I usually end up doing the same thing as you and just get 2 or 3 of my Pokemon really strong and use them throughout most of the game, while delegating the rest in my party just for basic functions (like Surf, Cut, Fly, etc.). To me, if the developers managed to make it so that you don't have to grind as much to level up all of your Pokemon, and instead fill in that time with interesting side-quests, than that's just better game design, regardless of whether it's easier or not.
100% agreed.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Comeau on October 13, 2013, 09:57:58 AM

The one thing that I'm iffy on is the Exp. Share.  Instead of letting one Pokemon hold it and gain points, all Pokemon in your party get points, thus grow fast.  It's cool because usually I have my starter and one or two other Pokemon pretty strong while the rest of my party is weak and this balances it out, but on the other hand it kind of makes the game easier than it has to be.

Oh, so now Exp. Share works like it did in Generation one? Sweet! This is going to make grinding so, so much easier. Dammit, I need to buy this game soon...