What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Grave

So while I was away for a bit, I also had a couple of days off from work and had some free time.

King of Fighters 13
The controls alone got Street Fighter 4 beat in terms of being hard. My goodness, people who're using a regular DS3 controller and is successful with it, you have my utmost respect because I already have a hard time doing a half circle motion, so to add a quarter circle motion in front of that is just brutal of my thumb. I don't see how people are playing this without the arcade stick. I did manage to play the story mode, and I didn't attention to it, because quite frank, there's no point in them. I only use the CPU as combo practice anyway. That said, I'm still considering Kyo, K, Iori/Shen, if I'm not scared away by the controls first.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
In terms of being technical, this game put Street Fighter to shame. I was lost with the cancels alone. Rapid Cancels, Dash Cancel (I'm not exactly sure if it's better than FADC, but it's gonna take a bit to get used to it), and I still feel like I'm missing something. I gotta speak about that tutorial. That thing is friggin amazing. That's how a tutorial should be. I haven't explored the challenges or the training mode yet, but that tutorial is robust, and I still haven't finished it. I just recently finished the intermediate stuff. I must admit though, that I am a little turned off by the roster. Unlike Guilty Gear there really isn't a character that really sticks out to me, whereas in Guilty Gear; Sol, Johnny, Order Sol, Testament and Jam instantly stuck out to me (for SF4, that would be Cody and Guy). However, I am anticipating the next game because I do like Terumi Yuuki.

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2012
And then we come back to this. After playing both BB and KoF13, it's easy to see why people play this game over the other 2. It's a lot more easily accessible. Here I thought the links in this game was hard, it has nothing on the other games. And honestly I think that's why I'm digging this more and more now. Don't get me wrong, KoF13 and BB, from what I gather of it is all skill and execution. Nothing wrong with that at all. You mess up you're gonna feel it badly. In SF4, you can blame the game somewhat lol.

Dynasty Warriors 8
I recently finished up DW7 and jumped right into this. Definitely the same game. I ended up skipping 5 and 6, but I'd imagine that it's all the same as well, but DW8's graphics makes a helluva difference. I won't say it's funner, but I do feel more interested due to the graphics.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's honestly why I prefer Street Fighter over BB and KOF. Those other games are so busy being as technical as possible that they just aren't any fun (for me) unless you spend tens of hours just so much as getting decent at them. Street Fighter 4 is fun for me whether I'm good at it or not.

Rynnec

I can play BB and KoFXIII just fine, despite not really being particularly good with either, then again, I mostly stay away from online (I always get my ass kicked) and usually just stick to vs CPU matches and Arcade or Story modes. It's also worth noting that the only SF I own is the very technical Third Strike, my mind will probably change once I'm able to play SFIV on a regular basis.

Oddly enough, if it's not SFIV or MVC3, it's usually BB that get's called a "casual" game among more uptight Fighting Game elitists.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, keep in mind, I flat out SUCK at fighting games. I just made the simple observation that BB and KOF have way stricter timing than any of the Capcom fighters that I hav played. Outside of training mode, I flat-out cannot pull off combos even in CPU matches in KOF13 (at least not consistently).

It's funny, because as someone who loves hack n' slash games, I really do love a deep combat system. But fighting games always make me realize just how lenient the timing for combos are in games like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta.

Grave

From what I've played of BB, I wouldn't say timing is much of an issue. I think what makes BB so intricate is the cancel's (then again, you are right since those require a certain timing as well). I think in the tutorial it said something along the lines of almost every attack can be canceled into a special or something like that. In terms of timing, I'd say BB is more along the lines of MvC3 because light, medium, heavy, (can't remember that last button) all chain into each other.

KoF13, you just gotta have perfect execution, flat out.

Grave

SSF4:AE2012
In another character crisis, somewhat. Nothing new here. I suppose I should really stick with Cody since somehow I just keep on coming back to him. The reason I keep shying away from him is that he kinda sucks here. Tier wise, I have no idea where he at, but controlling him, yeah, he kinda sucks mainly because of the slow walk speed, and his "get off me" move requires you to hold a punch button (good luck do EX Zonk on pad). But the reason I keep coming back to him is because that's my dude. I'm also considering throwing Dudley into the mix again. He hits like a tank and I like that.

SFxT
Speaking of Cody and Dudley, I'm gonna drop Ken and make those 2 the Capcom characters I'll be using. Fireball characters kinda have hard time in this game because it's pretty easy to get around them, especially if you're using someone like Jin, Kazuya, and Hwoarang. Anyway, this is the main fighter I'll be playing at the moment.

Dynasty Warriors 8
Shu, Wu, Wei stories are complete. Right now I'm playing Jin's story. I think out of all of them I like Wu the most. Zhou Tai is possibly my favorite character (mainly because he's basically the samurai in the game). There is another character in Jin that I just found out about that's become another favorite as well. I don't know his name, but he throw knives and wear a trench coat.

I'll probably start playing Max Payne 3 soon as well. For the most part I don't particularly care for games done by Rockstar, but considering that I'm hearing this game is good for releasing that pinned up aggression, and well, shooting someone in the face/head in slow motion definitely might make me feel good (as demented as that sound, I swear I'm still sane).

Spark Of Spirit

They finally fixed the leaderboards:

Not bad, I guess.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Nice!

Into the Nexus is really good so far. The new controls are pretty easy to get used to, and it definitely still feels like Ratchet & Clank. 30FPS is a bit of a bummer, but it plays very smooth. (I recommend restarting your PS3 before playing after installing, though. The frame rate was dipping really low until I did. Some kind of glitch I guess.) The level design, graphics, and story have all been great so far. I especially love the Clank puzzle-platformer levels and the jetpack upgrade. The arena is pretty short, but more interesting than any of the other PS3 ones. I miss rail grinding and swimming, though. R&C is pretty much the only 3D platformer to ever have fun water levels IMO, but here you die instantly if you try to go for a dip. Oh well.

Spark Of Spirit

Sounds good. I'm going out tomorrow for Christmas shopping, so if we come across it I'll see if I can swing it.

How's the length so far?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I've done the prologue, the first two main planets, and what's currently accessible of the arena. I think I've been playing for about 3 and a half hours, but I'm not sure. I believe that's almost the exact halfway point. From what I hear, there are two more main planets, a final level, and another set of arena challenges.

Spark Of Spirit

I just wanted to say that if anyone here with a 3DS has a fondness for Bomberman Hero-style N64 platformers, then you might want to give Jett Rocket II a go.

It scratches that itch.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 14, 2013, 09:10:38 PM
I just wanted to say that if anyone here with a 3DS has a fondness for Bomberman Hero-style N64 platformers, then you might want to give Jett Rocket II a go.

It scratches that itch.

Noted. Will keep an eye out.

Grave

SSF4: 2012
So I played about 6 matches online, and won about 3 of them. Honestly, I'm almost kind of fed up because my internet is terrible. I thought it was already bad at my old house, but here at my new house it's even worse (not to mention it seems like the wind blows every night making it seem like it's unbearable). Usually taunting me don't do anything, but because of the extreme lag it was even hard to respond to it. I'm a little salty, no doubt, but to play fighters under that much lag, no. I will be putting fighting games on hold, at least until my internet is upgraded.

Devil May Cry 3 (HD collection)
It's been a long time. A very long time since I've played this beastly game. It feels pretty good too. Since it's been so long I decided to stick with Trickster, but eventually I'll end up switching to Swordmaster and Gunslinger soon enough. Seeing that opening fight scene, so good.

I tried to play Max Payne 3, and I'm sure it's a good game, but I lost interest within the first 10 minutes of gameplay.

Nel_Annette

AssCreed 4 beaten. A definite improvement over 3.

And Tales Of Graces F is ready to go. Only about an hour in, but god this is pretty.  .3.