What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 02, 2012, 11:43:44 AM
Did someone say SOTN has the best Castlevania soundtrack? Man, it's good, but compared to most of the classic games it isn't quite there.

I've listened to most of the classic Castlevania tracks from the NES games and Castlevania IV (I don't know jack about Rondo of Blood/Bloodlines, though) and I think that SOTN is at least on par with what I've heard of the classic games, though its a very different style of music than the classic games, yet it fits the tone of the game extremely well. That isn't to say that every track is a stand-out, but the same applies the classic games as well. I find that each specific Castlevania game that I've heard music from has at least 3 or 4 tracks each that are really memorable, and SOTN is certainly no exception. My personal favorite Castlevania music has always been the main theme to Castlevania II, though. Something about it just forces that damn song to be stuck in my head for all eternity.

Foggle

Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard to upstage Sucker Punch. Every Sly game had its moments of total greatness, but they all fizzled out before too long.

I would be so happy if after Thieves In Time came out, Naughty Dog let Sanzaru develop Jak 4. Imagine, a Jak & Daxter game that was (almost) nothing but platforming, and the platforming levels were like the ones in 2 and 3. :swoon:

Spark Of Spirit

I like SOTN, but I think the classics had better tracks like this, this, this, this, this and this. Though that's probably just my tastes in more upbeat tunes since I still really like SOTN's soundtrack as well.

Quote from: Foggle on November 02, 2012, 11:49:30 AM
I would be so happy if after Thieves In Time came out, Naughty Dog let Sanzaru develop Jak 4. Imagine, a Jak & Daxter game that was (almost) nothing but platforming, and the platforming levels were like the ones in 2 and 3. :swoon:
If they made it a full open world of platforming like 1 with set pieces like the sewers or the tower in 2 and the volcano in 3, then it would probably be the best game in the series without question.

I can only hope this game is good and does well enough for them to be given the chance.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Picked up Shinobi (PS2) and Onimusha Warlords for about $4 each. I've really been meaning to try the former again now that I'm not a little bitch who button-mashes to win anymore, and I've always heard great things about the Onimusha series despite never really playing them. I also picked up a copy of the notoriously awful Tekken spin-off, Death By Degrees, for around 75 cents. It's been maybe 7 years since I've played it, but iirc it'll be worth more than a few good laughs as a party game once my friends come back for winter break. :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played a good chunk of Onimusha 2 back in the day (I believe it had a lot of the same people who worked on the devlopment team for one of the classic RE games, if I'm not mistaken) on my friend's PS2, and I thought it was great, but I haven't touched it in years, so I don't know how it holds up.

Foggle

From what I've heard, the first three Onimusha games are actually quite similar to the classic RE series. ...Same with Death By Degrees, apparently.

I'm sure I'll like Shinobi more this time around.

Spark Of Spirit

Onimusha 1 is basically Resident Evil with a fuedal Japan setting, but the sequels apparently change up the controls and format a bit.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a single game this generation, but hey, Capcom.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 02, 2012, 11:43:44 AM
Did someone say SOTN has the best Castlevania soundtrack? Man, it's good, but compared to most of the classic games it isn't quite there.

That would be me. :P

When I say SotN has my favorite CV soundtrack, it has more to do with consistency, because I like and remember every song from the game. It doesn't necessarily have my favorite CV songs (those would be Vampire Slayer from 1, Bloody Tears from 2, and Beginning from 3).

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 02, 2012, 11:49:19 AM

(I don't know jack about Rondo of Blood/Bloodlines, though)

You should check out Rondo of Blood's remix of Bloody Tears (the main theme from CV2, which you said you like). It's my personal favorite remix of it, though I still kind of like the original version of it the most.

gunswordfist

Does anyone know if SkipDr for Xbox is any good? I'm thinking about getting it to resurface my copy of Devil May Cry 4 and Halo Reach.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Is there a Play N Trade near where you live? They'll resurface your discs for like $1-2 apiece and won't charge you if the disc still doesn't work.

Commode

If you're careful enough you can just get some headlight polish(Meguire's is the one I have) and a microfiber cloth from an auto parts store,  I've done that before.  Just wipe the disc in circles from the center out, but you do have to be careful not to put too much pressure on the disc because you could scratch or even crack the disc.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Has anyone here played La Mulana before? I'm playing it on WiiWare and I don't know where I'm supposed to go. I keep wandering into other dungeons instead of finding out how to finish the one I'm in.

I mean, I dig the exploration, but I don't know what my goal is supposed to be.

Nel_Annette

A lot of the puzzles are very, very vague. I've been watching an LP of it and I don't think I'd figure out half of the puzzles on my own. Also i didn't know it came out for WiiWare. I want it!

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, it came out just recently. It feels a lot like a lost Sega CD game with better loading times, and I dig it.

But I do think they could have given better hints. I'm not even aware of where to start in some rooms.