What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Wait until World 8.

I haven't played the game in ages.  I wonder where my GBA copy is at.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

gunswordfist

I've been doing a lot of gaming.

Last night/this morning I got up to around level 6 on Doom II. I don't really remember. Either way, I love the hell out of the music in map 4 (The Focus) and map 5. It's still stuck in my head.

I played N+ with my baby brother. We got as far as we could on the co-op and multiplayer co-op modes.

Then we played Gunstar Heroes. We beat 3 levels (dear God does Black's stage take forever)  and I saved Green's for last but that shit was taking forever to beat so I decided to have us go on and play Metal Slug 3.

I put Metal Slug 3 on Free Play because I knew we (or even me by myself) would never even beat that game with 5 God damn continues. Understatement of the year. (Can you say 35 continues? 45 for him) For some reason I completely forgot the last level in Metal Slug 3. I only got to the beginning of it when I played it on my 360 before but I beat the game with a friend or my oldest brother (forget which one) when I was a teenager (which made it more acceptable for me to put the game on Free Play. Otherwise, I'm usually too stubborn to do anything like). Anyway, me and my brother had a blast getting there since we didn't have to be shy about picking paths to save continues. And when we did and were going through the Final Mission....can you say greatest last level ever? It certainly has to be up there. I was like  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o with how it kept on going on and on. It was also another remember that there's no fucking way I could beat this game with infinite continues. Did I mention that yet? Also, as much fun as I had, I can see why Foggle thinks the first few levels are a bit underwhelming. I remember 2 having some clearly better levels. I haven't even played X yet.

Then we played Soul Calibur IV and he preceded to kick my ass 10 times in a row.

Then tonight I started Perfect Dark by myself (did I mention that I played co-op with a friend last night) and got past level 2 which we couldn't figure out how to get through. Playing by yourself really does seem to make you focus more. I got to the mention where I saved some guy. I think it was the fourth one.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Today, I went back to playing Castlevania: SOTN. I've made my way to the very top point of the inverted castle (which is equivalent to the very bottom point of the regular castle). I find it funny how even though the game lets you go wherever you want to go, there are clear indications that you should be going in some particular route, as I ended up getting through some sections of the inverted castle and having a hard time with really high level enemies (leveling up Alucard quite a bit in the process), only to come to some other sections later on in which the enemies were extremely week in comparison to Alucard by that point in time, and the boss fights were an utter joke (I ended up defeating Death in less than 20 seconds by just hitting him repeatedly, and letting myself get hit by his attacks which only did single-digit damage to me).

Still, its kind of fun to have some really challenging sections followed by some pretty laid-back ones. Then again, as I proceeded down the same path, I ended up fighting a rather tough boss which I swear was meant for when I was at a higher level (I think it had at least 1,000 HP, if not more). It took forever to kill that thing, even with my  level 90+ minion doing attacks that did 100+ damage to it every now and then.

At any rate, I think I'm getting close to the end of the game as there is only one major area left in the inverted castle that I still have to explore (which would be the Colosseum).

gunswordfist

That just reminds me how great the freedom in the inverted castle is. I wonder if there are any Metroidvania where you start with that kind of freedom.

Rynnec

Well, just played the DmC demo and it sure was...something.

Yeah, the voice acting and dialogue were god-awful, and the weapon system is ass, but the rest is...OK when held up on its own.

The combat wasn't good, it wasn't bad, it was just serviceable. There really wasn't much depth to the combat, but having to hold L2 and R2 to use the Scythe and Axe was a pain. I didn't get an S-rank by spamming attacks, so that's a good sign, but I'm still confused as to how the style meter works in this game. The music for the regular combat wasn't as dreadful as I was expecting, so that's another plus.

The Boss was actually pretty decent. The boss music on the other hand...not so much. I didn't figure out how to do the Axe's counter-attack, so I didn't use that easily exploitable method. However, when I tried challenging the boss again, the boss glitched up and wouldn't move or take damage, preventing me from finishing. I had to restart the boss again just to progress. NT definitely needs to fix that.

I also didn't like how the game stops all the action to tell you how to use a specific feature, and only unpauses if you do the action it's explaining. Very annoying.
All in all, while I think it's better than Vanilla Ninja Gaiden 3, it's not something I would spend money on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, it still sounds better than Razor's Edge as well. Some people on some of the video game boards I've visited thought I was being too much of a hard-ass when I said that the enhanced game would still suck no matter how much was added to it due to the core game being inherently bland, and now the reviews for this game are confirming just that very thing. Sure, you can add a lot of content to the game, but if the core game wasn't build from the ground-up with some actual substance, then the game will still suck no matter how much you try to add to it. My best hope is that Team Ninja starts from scratch with NG4 and actually does it right this time. I find it very frustrating that they somehow managed to perfect the 3D NG formula with NGB yet for some reason they keep ignoring that game in favor of trying to make the most linear and monotonous NG experience possible.

At any rate, as far as DmC goes, I think it'll end up being an OK action game on its own terms, much like Ninja Theory's other generally well-received action title, Enslaved. I just feel like its not something that actual DMC fans will be able to appreciate due to its lack of depth and complete disregard for the particular substance of the traditional DMC games that appealed to fans of it in the first place. I just hope that Cacpom, if this game doesn't sell as well as they want it to, doesn't end up canning the entire DMC series after its release.

Either way, though, Capcom doesn't make sense to me. You'd think the current Capcom would be all about making money, yet whoever's their financial adviser over there seriously needs to be fired, because I can guarantee you that if they had just released DMC5, it'd sell far better by default than this reboot DmC is bound to sell.

gunswordfist

I'll have to try the demo myself.

Finally got past level 8 in Doom II (Holy Hell at that level!) and I had a bit of trouble with 9 bu passed it after 2 or 3 tries. Looks like 10 is going to give me...Hell. Nothing like having a Cyber-Demon teleport directly behind you. I saw it through a gate and went "oh fuck? and then I saw it teleport after I tried shooting it and then run away and before I could turn around, I heard it behind me and I got hit by two rockets (don't know how I survived the first one) before I could turn around or anything. That's after trying to search through that level for at least half an hour.

I played Perfect Dark and got past that annoying level where the invisible guys first (assuming they come back) show up. Fighting them was fun. Having to hurry up and shoot everyone before they hit the alarm...not so much. And then at the beginning of the next level shit got crazy in a cutscene (please tell me that's a hoax. The hell?) and I went on to play Doom II like I said. I'm about to play this game again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as DOOM goes, I'm still stuck on that one level in Episode III, and I haven't touched the game for over a year, now.

Spark Of Spirit

I also beat Paper Mario Sticker Star. Great stuff, would probably play again sooner than later.

Quote from: Avaitor on November 20, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
Word 7 of SMB3 is fucking impossible.

That id all.
I had been doing a no power-up run of SMB3 and stopped my playthrough in World 8 due to system transfers, but World 7 is a real spike in difficulty. IMO, world 6 is easier than world 5, sliding ice aside, world 6 is much easier.

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 19, 2012, 10:53:05 PM
Get in a few levels on Doom II. Found the Super Shotgun on the 2nd level. Ah, fuck yes.
IIRC, it's also in level 1.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 21, 2012, 05:57:59 PM

That id all.
I had been doing a no power-up run of SMB3 and stopped my playthrough in World 8 due to system transfers, but World 7 is a real spike in difficulty. IMO, world 6 is easier than world 5, sliding ice aside, world 6 is much easier.
Yeah, totally.

Is anyone able to make it through 7-7? That one seems truly impossible.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on November 21, 2012, 06:53:00 PM

That id all.
Yeah, totally.

Which one is this again? Is this the one where you need stars to not die?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 21, 2012, 07:04:30 PM

That id all.
Yeah, totally.

Yeah, the one where you have to run over a bunch of baby Piranha Plants, and you can't reach certain blocks if you're leveled up, and there's that one fucking block that's right on the opposite side of those blocks of wood, and your all-star just can't last long enough to make it to there.

Maybe I'm thinking about 7-8, though. But fuck that level.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on November 21, 2012, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 21, 2012, 07:04:30 PM

That id all.
Yeah, totally.

Yeah, the one where you have to run over a bunch of baby Piranha Plants, and you can't reach certain blocks if you're leveled up, and there's that one fucking block that's right on the opposite side of those blocks of wood, and your all-star just can't last long enough to make it to there.

Maybe I'm thinking about 7-8, though. But fuck that level.
That level is one of the hardest in the game, but you CAN do it.

Does this help?

It's hard to use a FAQ for this level because the only advise I can give you is to make Mario run faster than Sonic. Sort of like Tubular in SMW, you just kind of have to know where to go by trial and error.

Spark Of Spirit

Okay, here are some tips that helped me through it.

Star 1: Get it as close to the piranhas as possible.
Star 2: Push down while in a run to slide under the block (a technique I learned from SMB1) to hit it at the right time.
Star 3: Time your jumps and judge your height to make it in time.
The rest: RUN.

Does that help?