What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2013, 04:20:01 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 21, 2013, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 20, 2013, 09:33:34 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2013, 07:42:02 PM
Don't ever play 3D 32-bit era games these days. Few hold up- especially ones without locked overhead cameras. 3rd person games without them suffer a lot.
Yeah, most 3D games for consoles that only have one control stick just don't hold up at all.
Which is why PS2 is better than Dreamcast.
I know you're just trolling at this point, but I do agree. :sweat:
I said that just to kick Spark and EK in the nuts but I really do like PS2 more.
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2013, 04:29:06 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2013, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2013, 04:23:35 PM
For 2D games? I can't agree. For 3D games? Depends on the genre.
There are 2D games on the PS2?
Klonoa 2 and Contra Shattered Soldier is about it.

Sort of like the previous generation the Saturn had the best 2D games and the N64 had the best 3D games, but the PS1 had the middle-ground. The Dreamcast to me tried to strike a balance on some level at least.
There's also Odin Sphere and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Capcom Vs SNK 3
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2013, 04:30:24 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 21, 2013, 04:26:26 PM
And so did JGR, dumbass. You're usually smarter than this.

I'm aware of that, but I'm also aware that, from what I've heard, general reception says that the port for JGR wasn't as good as the original version do to some technical hiccups. The same goes for Power Stone 2 on the PSP, and in that case the portable version is markedly inferior to the console version (big surprise, huh?). The DMC games have pretty much perfect ports (except for the PC version of DMC3, which is apparently supposed to be shit).
I was trolling you, genius. I want to get the PowerStone games and a DC. The demo alone makes the first game pretty much my favorite fighting game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

MvC3 was on PS2? And there's a Capcom vs SNK 3?

PS2 also had Guilty Gear, Megaman X8, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, and several Japan-only stuff.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 21, 2013, 04:46:40 PM
There's also Odin Sphere and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and Capcom Vs SNK 3

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 came out on the XBOX360, PS3, and PS Vita, not the PS2; and Capcom vs. SNK 3 doesn't even exist (yet).

gunswordfist

I meant 2, obviously ;)
Quote from: Rynnec on May 21, 2013, 04:56:20 PM
MvC3 was on PS2? And there's a Capcom vs SNK 3?

PS2 also had Guilty Gear, Megaman X8, Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, and several Japan-only stuff.

I played the Neo Geo Battle Coliseum demo a few days ago. Meh.

Foggle

Hey, E-K and Spark, check this out!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Serious-Sam-Collection-Xbox-360/dp/B00C3MK9BS

It's got The First Encounter, The Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3, one of the indie games, and the Jewel of the Nile DLC pack! (Sadly, it doesn't have Serious Sam 2 or the Legend of the Beast DLC, but the former isn't very good and the latter was never released on the 360, so...)

You should really consider picking this up if you like awesome old-school fragfests with cooperative multiplayer. For three of my favorite FPS's, it's a steal at $40!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's definitely a kick-ass offer. That'll probably be the next FPS that I get after BioShock: Infinite. ;)

Also, speaking of old-school FPS games, I just remembered that I still have yet to beat the original DOOM, so I should get on that. I also need to finally get around to DOOM II, and maybe the DOOM 64 mod for the PC as well (at least I know that would definitely be able to run on my computer).

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 22, 2013, 03:41:21 PM
That's definitely a kick-ass offer. That'll probably be the next FPS that I get after BioShock: Infinite. ;)

Also, speaking of old-school FPS games, I just remembered that I still have yet to beat the original DOOM, so I should get on that. I also need to finally get around to DOOM II, and maybe the DOOM 64 mod for the PC as well (at least I know that would definitely be able to run on my computer).
Yessss, you must get Infinite and Serious Sam! :joy: :joy:

Doom 2 has an extra episode on the Xbox 360 version, so have fun with that! You should also check out the Final Doom episodes on PC once you're done with the rest; they aren't quite as good as the other games, but they're still pretty sweet overall. There's also Master Levels For Doom 2, which may or may not be included in the XBLA release (I have no idea).

If you like the Doom games, I also recommend getting a copy of Blood from GOG. It's really cheap, and will definitely run on your computer. It's Monolith's first game, and also one of their best - it might just be my favorite classic FPS of all time, even over Duke Nukem 3D!

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2013, 04:12:47 PM
I want to play Doom 64 so badly.
You should, it's really good! There's a free PC port of it that you could try.

gunswordfist

I can confirm that Doom 2 does not have the Master Levels. I need to recheck if a version of Doom 3 has either that or Final Doom.

Sounds like I need to play Blood and I'll get a free copy of Doom 64 once I get a computer again. Thanks ;D

Foggle

You'll be hard pressed to find a more creative FPS than Blood, or one with better level design. It's amazing in every way. I must warn you, though... it's really fucking hard. Normal difficulty is brutal. Make sure to quick save a lot!

Blood 2 is also pretty good, but it's not a masterpiece like the first one is. The level design is somewhat bland and I don't think anything above Easy mode is beatable without cheats, but it's worth checking out if you enjoy quirky late 90's FPS's like SiN.

Between Blood, F.E.A.R., No One Lives Forever 2, Shogo, AVP2, and Condemned, I'd say Monolith is probably the greatest FPS developer of all time. It's a shame what WB's done to them.

gunswordfist

Foggle

It's an anime-inspired mecha shooter from 1998. It was the main inspiration for the power armor levels in F.E.A.R. 2.

gunswordfist

GaryPotter

Playing Parasite Eve 2 in Bounty Mode right now.

This game can get pretty scary when it wants to.

Eddy

I realized I'm a bad Metroid fan. I own so many Metroid games but hadn't beaten any of them! I decided it was time to change that so I just finished beating Super Metroid just a few days ago and thought it was amazing. Worth all the praise it gets for sure!

Right now I'm playing Metroid Prime.

As for the other Metroid games I own, I have: Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Other M. I need to track down Prime 2 and probably download Metroid 2 off the 3DS VC. I really wish I could get the Prime Trilogy for Wii but it's too rare/expensive.