What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

On Doom today I finally got past the second to last level in Episode 3. That poisonous blood or whatever the hell it is is just unfair. On the final level of that episode, I believe after two tries I defeated the Spiderdemon. The ending to Episode 3 is so ridiculous.

I like how Doom has no enemy spawning. Enemies are always already on the map and you can be sure that they come from some nearby secret little room that usually has items, weapons and/or ammo in it. I always loved remembering where I came from and backing up while shooting and knowing as long as no other space filled with demons I'm unaware of opens up, I'll be safe enough to do that strategy. Well that shit was thrown out of the window in episode 3 and abused as soon as the start of Episode 4. It was really a stretch to just past the first level. Not that it wasn't fun - the intensity sure added to that, but I prefer how things were instead of having to worry about demons spawning out of nowhere and throwing fireballs at my back.

When I got to the second level, after a few deaths, I really got down to planning how I deal with this spawn fest and after I miraculous killed one of those giant green shit throwing demons, I had to take on another one that came from another opening, had no ammo left due to using all my shotguns shells to kill the first one and then to blast this one a bit. So what do I do? I run after it by running over an empty space from one platform to another and started punching while having low enough health to get killed in one shot and then I bump into an energy gun or whatever the fuck it's called, the game auto equips it and I blow the demon away! Then I fall down to try and go back up some steps...and the lava kills me. Motherfuck...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Same level on Doom is giving me Hell. I proceeded to go on to playing Splinter Cell Conviction.

Well, I beat Conviction earlier. I got the two different endings. Kind of a pain in the ass to go back a little bit too far to get the 2nd one but it wasn't too bad. I started leaving stealth at home and keep tossing proximity mines at guys. With how easy it was to go back to weapon stashes, I just rinsed, washed and repeated.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From the way you describe things, it sounds like you got stuck on the same level that I did in DOOM and I stopped playing at that point to. I would have gone back to the game, but honestly I completely forgot about it for quite a while, and that was over a year ago. :D

gunswordfist

:lol: I do that sometimes when I'm scrambling through multiple games.

Kiddington

Scrapped Banjo Tooie in favor of Majora's Mask. I've been in the mood for some N64 lately, so I figured I'd go with something I actually like playing (to be fair, BT isn't a bad game, per say, by any means, but it isn't nearly as much fun as the original).

Man, I might even go as far as to say that this is the best Zelda game. All the little background plots, sidequests, mini-games, supporting characters... everything about this game is so intricate, and that's what makes it so great. Who knew hunting down Heart Pieces could be this much fun?

I'm already up to Snowhead, by the way.

Spark Of Spirit

I got the Ratchet Collection on the PS3. It really, really, really needs a patch.

That aside, if you've never played these games and own PS3 you should absolutely play it.

By the way, the one thing I actually could do was play the Impossible Challenge in Going Commando and the first one has 75 rounds and the Challenge Mode one has 65 rounds. Going Commando is a phenomenal game even with so many stupid glitches the original version didn't have.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Glad I didn't pick it up then. My PS2 versions work just fine. O0

Spark Of Spirit

It's not necessary if you have the PS2 ones (unless you want to play UYA online, I guess) but since I'd rather shelve my PS2 for space reasons, the cheap price was too hard to pass up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

The Sly demo was really good, by the way.

It was a 'job' like the ones from 2, but it was fully dedicated platformer level like the ones from 1 which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

Sly's voice seemed off, though.

gunswordfist

Will be downloading that demo on my lil bro's PS3.

I got a few levels farther on Doom. Honestly, Episode 4's levels seem much easier after the first two. Those were just wrong. It looks like I just have to bother with working my way through these current levels.

Avaitor

Wow, I suck at fighting games.

I tried some Samurai Shodown II tonight, and got my ass handed to me. HARD.

It's a good thing I love the structure of games like these, otherwise I wouldn't keep on trying.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Me too. Well except for Street Fighter IV. I can beat Seth on Very Hard by just spamming special moves (or w/e the fuck you call them) with relative ease.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Avaitor on October 22, 2012, 11:29:19 PM
It's a good thing I love the structure of games like these, otherwise I wouldn't keep on trying.

That's the spirit. Fighting games are all about adapting, not just timing. It's probably the biggest reason I prefer the old fashioned fighters over the 2fast air juggle combo style of the crossover and ArcSys games.

gunswordfist

I made some SERIOUS progress on Mega Man 9. OK, days before that, my little brother went to Plug Man's level and tried out the Hornet Chaser before I got to. He showed me that the hornet can bring back energy, health and screws which impressed the hell out of me. I played again yesterday and got to use the hornets for myself and tried to find out if they could grab hard to get pickups and eventually found out they could, like the big screw in between pipes at the first area in Plug Man's area and an extra life and big energy thing from a space underground that seems to be unattainable any other way. Also, it homes in on enemies just like other Mega Man weapons of that type but it's even better because it's like half homing missile/half boomerang.

I believe I had Plug Man jump into the B. Bomb multiple times, tried to time dodging his jump and finished him off with L. Trident. I think I got Rush Jet after I defeated him (that would make 5 defeated Robot Masters I believe.)

Either before or after I beat him, since I got so many screws from losing on Hornet Man's level and got up to 999 screws not too long after playing a bit yesterday, I brought Mega Man's helmetless costume (sucks that it disappears after dying once), the item that gives the weapon with the lowest energy energy when you pick it up and are using the M. Buster and one time, two lives because I had 0 after beating a boss and needed some for another stage.

I went to Tornado Man's level and used Rush Jet to finally get to him. I think I used Plug Man's gun to defeat him. It didn't take long after I died a few times and figured that out. The last fight was like a few seconds long.

I used Tornado Man's weapon to blow away Magma Man pretty quickly.

Again, I'm pretty impressed with this game's weapons. Probably the best since Mega Man 2 (maybe even moreso, I'll have to replay it again). I hope Jewel Man's weapon is either a 8 directional one (Metal Man for the win) or a shield that can be shot off. I'm guessing it's a shield. It's a shame that the game won't have both. That would have been all the kinds I could ask for.

Kiddington

So... the Swamp Shooting Gallery in Majora's Mask; one of the hardest mini-games in Zelda history, or the hardest mini-game in Zelda history?

Yeah, I'm leaning towards absolute hardest. I almost still can't believe I actually rang up a perfect score twice on this fucker (which is required, to win both prizes). This one probably crosses the line between being challenging and outright cheap, but hey, at least I finally beat it, which is something I never managed to do as a kid.  :happytime: