What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Whoa, looks like Capcom is branching out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214610

Is this a visual novel, a point and click, or what? Might as well try the demo later.

gunswordfist

Just beat Doom a few minutes ago. The last stage was not that hard. Well, I quick saved right before the last area and reloaded once after dying once but I had to make the only exception of to my no quick saving rule in Doom. Yeah, that part wasn't that hard either. I killed the Spiderbrain before I took out the right side of demons. I'm on the screen with Daisy's head after turning off my 360 googling about the text about it and then seeing that I skipped that part. Heh. Definitely want to get Doom 2. I'm planning on buying Perfect Dark (800 points), Gunstar Heroes (400 MS points) and Doom 2 (400). That seems like the best way to use a 1600 point card.

Oh and I can't imagine trying this game on any higher difficulties. I can see myself getting easily mutilated on any other the unfair flicking light levels and the ridiculous first two levels of Episode 2. Fuck that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

No-Personality

Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Kiddington

Majora's Mask is in the books. Everything is complete; all masks, all Pieces of Heart, Bombers Notebook... everything.

NOW WHAT DO I DO

Nel_Annette

I threw all my plans to the wayside and instead of an RPG, I've started Red Dead Redemption. Never played it before!

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 11, 2012, 05:59:31 PM
Just beat Doom a few minutes ago. The last stage was not that hard. Well, I quick saved right before the last area and reloaded once after dying once but I had to make the only exception of to my no quick saving rule in Doom. Yeah, that part wasn't that hard either. I killed the Spiderbrain before I took out the right side of demons. I'm on the screen with Daisy's head after turning off my 360 googling about the text about it and then seeing that I skipped that part. Heh. Definitely want to get Doom 2. I'm planning on buying Perfect Dark (800 points), Gunstar Heroes (400 MS points) and Doom 2 (400). That seems like the best way to use a 1600 point card.

Oh and I can't imagine trying this game on any higher difficulties. I can see myself getting easily mutilated on any other the unfair flicking light levels and the ridiculous first two levels of Episode 2. Fuck that.
......so yesterday I started Ultra-Violence on Doom and beat two levels. Not as bad I thought. I died maybe once and the first flickering light level wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be. The shotgun never lets me down.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Just beat Metroid: Zero Mission for the first time ever. Dunno why it took me so long, since I've probably played the first 2 hours at least 10 times by now, but yeah. I guess I always just got distracted by other things halfway through.

Anyway, excellent game. Not as great as Super Metroid or the Prime trilogy, but still damn good. I actually really liked the Chozodia stuff - chases were seriously intense. Quite refreshing after that piece of shit Other M.

Spark Of Spirit

Zero Mission is awesome. WAY better than the original. It's less linear than Fusion, but not quite as meaty as Super Metroid, but it's definitely in the upper crust of Metroid games. I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :)

Now if only they could get working on a Metroid 2 remake.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Well, this guy is doing a fantastic-looking freeware remake of Metroid 2 for PC: http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Problem is, it's made with Game Maker, and my computer simply refuses to run any and all Game Maker games for some unexplainable reason. Which is odd, because I was able to run them just a few months ago. Regardless, there's a demo out, so you should (see if you can) give it a go!

The original Metroid hasn't really aged that well IMO. I've tried to play it, but it's just so goddamn frustrating to me. Return Of Samus is still good, but it's not a masterpiece like Super, Prime 1-3, Zero Mission, or Fusion.

That Mother Brain fight is fucking awful, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm still hope for a 3DS 2D Metroid. That we didn't get one on the DS was baffling considering how easy of a fit it would have been. After Other M's reaction, I'm hoping Sakamoto sticks to the sidescrollers.

Quote from: Foggle on November 16, 2012, 07:05:19 PMThat Mother Brain fight is fucking awful, though.
I'm certain they only left that in for nostalgic sake, but yes it's incredibly cheap compared to every other boss.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

The gameplay in Other M was fine. They just need to keep Sakamoto far away from the story.

Spark Of Spirit

Which is weird since the story in Fusion was fine. Maybe he should keep it simple next time.

I dunno what he was thinking with that game, but at least Team Ninja tried their best. They sure tried harder than they did with Ninja Gaiden 3, anyway.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 16, 2012, 07:08:41 PM
I'm still hope for a 3DS 2D Metroid. That we didn't get one on the DS was baffling considering how easy of a fit it would have been. After Other M's reaction, I'm hoping Sakamoto sticks to the sidescrollers.
Well, Other M is a sidescroller. Kinda. I was very disappointed by everything in that game aside from the combat and graphics. The opening levels showed promise, but the gameplay never really got any deeper from there, and the unskippable cutscenes were downright heinous.

So Sakamoto should just stick to 2D gameplay development (provided he actually understands why people like Super, Zero Mission, and Fusion), and maybe leave the storytelling (if there must be any... because seriously, Metroid doesn't need much plot) to Retro's writers.

But yes, I would love to see a new classic-style Metroid for the 3DS or Wii U, as we are long overdue for a new one (what happened to Dread!?). Maybe Prime 4 eventually, but not until Retro is allowed to make some other, completely different games first. I would also love to see a third-person installment eventually - I think that could work really well if the control scheme was similar to R&C.

QuoteI'm certain they only left that in for nostalgic sake, but yes it's incredibly cheap compared to every other boss.
It's like... suddenly Metroid is a bullet hell game with a player sprite that's way too large and no room whatsoever to maneuver. Had they just changed the boss fight to be more about skill and less about not losing your composure after the indestructible gun turrets knock you into the lava for the 20th time, it would have been fine.

Quote from: Rynnec on November 16, 2012, 07:27:12 PM
The gameplay in Other M was fine. They just need to keep Sakamoto far away from the story.
The core combat was awesome, but it desperately needed more exploration, as it was far too linear. Also, the first-person shit was atrocious.

Spark Of Spirit

Nobody has any idea what happened with Metroid Dread, it was teased in Prime because, IIRC, Sakamoto asked for it to be there so clearly it was meant to be the Fusion follow-up that we're still waiting for.

Retro's game was going to be at E3 until Nintendo changed plans at the last minute to focus on launch window games, so I'm pretty sure we'll see it soon enough. But I doubt it's Metroid (and severely doubt it's Zelda) so hopefully somebody there is working on a 2D Metroid with Sakamoto directing... or maybe Yasuhara directing with NST?

Yasuhara better be either helping Nintendo with figuring out a Sonic/Mario game or making a 2D platformer. Nintendo better use him instead of wasting his talent like Namco did!

Foggle

So I was suddenly able to get that Metroid 2 remake demo working... wow! It's honestly Nintendo quality. Fantastic stuff, way better than the original version already.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 16, 2012, 08:07:07 PM
Retro's game was going to be at E3 until Nintendo changed plans at the last minute to focus on launch window games, so I'm pretty sure we'll see it soon enough. But I doubt it's Metroid (and severely doubt it's Zelda)
From what I've read, it seems like Miyamoto has already confirmed that Retro is not making a Zelda game, and probably never will.

We definitely need another official, non-remake Metroid soon, though. Gotta' wash out the bad taste of Other M. Sakamoto needs to swallow his pride and renege on his decision to make Prime non-canon in favor of that shitfest. :srs: