What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I love checking out pawn and thrift stores. I picked up a copy of Metroid: Other M for five bucks today.

I know it's not supposed to be great, but hey, the price is right. I'll just add it to my stack of games to play/finish.

Edit: Even better, the person who bought it didn't register the game on Club Nintendo. Free points ftw!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

It's a good game, but get ready for some of the most gratingly terrible unskippable cutscenes of all time.

Avaitor

I'm prepared. I'm a big boy, so I think I can handle it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Got past the Industrial and Suburbs levels in Doom II. I'm on the level after the "Suburbs" and died after doing a ton of shit before I could get the Yellow keycard. I swear I'm going to just start quick saving like crazy instead of starting levels all the way over.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avaitor, just keep in mind that Team Ninja had nothing to do with the story elements of Metroid: Other M (even though this is the shitty Itagaki-less version of Team Ninja, they don't deserve blame for that particular portion of the game). Then keep in mind that had Team Ninja also been responsible for the story in this game, it would've easily been at least 10 times worse than it already is....if you can even believe that given its already crappy quality.

Most importantly, though, if it turns out that you don't like the gameplay in this game, it really is only because this is the crappy Hayashi-lead Team Ninja, so don't ever let this game's quality turn you off from eventually playing through all of Ninja Gaiden Black in the future. That game really is still one of the best of all time....even though most other people unfortunately only know TN for this game and NG3, now. :(

Foggle

Other M is pretty fun. Outside of the first-person stuff, Team Ninja did a fine job making a fast-paced 2D actioner, even if it really does feel nothing like a "proper" Metroid game. The story is what kills it for most people, to the point where I and many others were unable to finish the game due to how long and bad the unskippable cutscenes are.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

However bad it is, its still not as bad as Ninja Gaiden 3's abysmal story-line, so just be glad that Team Ninja didn't take over the helm on that aspect of the game as well, otherwise it would've been bad to the point of ruining the entire series. Trust me, they managed to completely piss people off about the story-line in NG3, in a series where fans never even gave a shit about the story to begin with. It takes something REALLY horrendous to do that. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

I still haven't played my copy since I wanted to play through the Metroid Prime Trilogy first. But ,uh, I'm not all that eager to get into it.

Seriously, go play Wario Land Shake It instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 28, 2012, 04:28:14 PM
However bad it is, its still not as bad as Ninja Gaiden 3's abysmal story-line, so just be glad that Team Ninja didn't take over the helm on that aspect of the game as well, otherwise it would've been bad to the point of ruining the entire series. Trust me, they managed to completely piss people off about the story-line in NG3, in a series where fans never even gave a shit about the story to begin with.
That's actually kind of what happened with Other M, as well. Metroid isn't exactly known for its writing, though the Prime games did have tons of fun lore to uncover. Other M, on the other hand, somehow managed to bring about character assassination of a character who's only defining trait for 24 years was "Doom Guy with two X chromosomes". With its horrific mother-child metaphors (M:OM, Other M -> MOther, and "Bottle Ship" just being the tip of the iceberg), nonsensical emotional breakdowns, unending statements of the obvious manifesting in exposition recorded by a bored woman on her first ever reading of the script, utter stupidity on the part of the protagonist, and forgotten subplots, Other M actually makes the second half of Indigo Prophecy look less loathsome. And keep in mind that all of the cutscenes are lengthy and unskippable.

I'd say that's about as bad as Ninja Gaiden 3's story.

Spark Of Spirit

Other M's story was a rehash of Fusion's in about every way except "the baby".

Yet Fusion's story was great, so I don't understand what happened with Other M.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 28, 2012, 04:49:13 PM
Other M's story was a rehash of Fusion's in about every way except "the baby".

Yet Fusion's story was great, so I don't understand what happened with Other M.
It's interesting what 2 hours of pointless expository narration read in monotone and lots of unnecessary crying from a badass bounty hunter can do to your story.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Still need to finish Other M, and Prime 2. Maybe someday.

In other news I bought Hotline Miami and Human Revolution. Haven't played the latter yet, but Hotline Miami has been fun as fuck so far. I kinda wish the one-health system would force you to start from the beginning again after a certain point just to fully emulate the top-down games of old. I'm playing on medium though so it might be in one of the higher difficulties and I'm just unaware of it.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 28, 2012, 04:28:14 PM
However bad it is, its still not as bad as Ninja Gaiden 3's abysmal story-line, so just be glad that Team Ninja didn't take over the helm on that aspect of the game as well, otherwise it would've been bad to the point of ruining the entire series. Trust me, they managed to completely piss people off about the story-line in NG3, in a series where fans never even gave a shit about the story to begin with. It takes something REALLY horrendous to do that. :sly:

Well, at least NG3's story is hilarious in an unintentional way.Other M's story is just sad, possibly even worse than DmC's (or as I like to call it: Devil May "FUCK YOU!") :sweat:

Anyway, renting Soul Calibur V again reminds me of how barren the game modes are, which is a shame because the gameplay itself is really good. I'll return it on friday so I can wait on one of my Wii U games instead.

On a brighter note, PSN had Nights Into Dreams on sale, so I've been playing a few level's of that for the past couple of days. It's a pretty fun Arcade-like game with a cute style and a stellar soundtrack, though I'm really shitty at the game.

gunswordfist

Got through another level on Ultra-Violence Doom.

Perfect Dark...I got up to the boss on level 9. Can't figure out what to do (which isn't a problem, I'll get it sooner or later) but the first time I ran out of ammo and then I believe I got beaten up by an enemy. The 2nd time the freaking boss decided to run through a wall and was never seen again. I stayed around way too long after that. I'm borderline raging from this game. At least I know the end is not too far since I saw how many levels there are from the Xbox Live scores so there's that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody