What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I've finally gotten around to practicing with charge characters in SSF4 today. While there's no d-pad on the planet that can do these characters justice (you flat-out need an arcade stick to play with these characters competitively), the one I have will suffice enough for for the game's default difficulty against the CPU in the arcade mode. That said, when I was practicing with a few of these characters, I was able to pull off their supers and ultras just fine (granted that I will always get 1 or 2 of my attempts botched every now and then). The problem I encountered was with Chun-Li. Her super and ultra have the same directional input, as they do with most characters, with the only difference being that you press any single kick button to activate her super and all 3 kick buttons together to activate her ultra (once again, this is how it works for pretty much every character in the game). However, for whatever reason, even when I press the 3K button, she just proceeds to perform her super. I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong, but I don't think my timing is off (I mean, when it executes the move that means I had everything executed right), but she just seems to stubbornly stick to her super no matter how many kick buttons I input at once. I'm guessing that I either can't use the 3K button and have to manually press all 3 kick buttons (which I flat-out can't do without botching the attack or completely screwing up the timing for its execution) or there's something else for the timing required to activate the ultra that I'm completely missing here. Either way, I can't seem to execute it specifically for Chun-Li, for whatever the reason may be, while I've been able to do with with the other charge characters that I've tried so far.

Its not too big a deal, though, since aside from completing the game with every character on arcade mode, I don't plan on using any charge characters whenever I finally get the opportunity to play the game online. My d-pad is fine for any of the regular characters, so those are the ones that I'm sticking with for competition against other players.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played a bit more of Super Metroid today. I defeated the plant boss, which so far has been my 2nd boss fight in the game. I died to it once but then easily defeated on my second try once I figured out that it couldn't touch you if you stayed on the ground in the morph ball state, and then all I had to do was dodge those little particles that floated downward and could damage me, which was pretty easy to do. Then, whenever the boss opened its core, I just took a pot-shot at it with one of my missiles and then I rinsed and repeated the whole process until it was dead. After defeating it a new path opened up which lead me to the super missile power-up. Then I made my way back into the room I was previously in before the boss fight and also ended up finding the charge shot power-up at the very bottom of the area.

Oh, and I also found the map room a while before even getting to that area, so now I have a general layout of the Brinstar which shows me that I have a lot more of the area to explore (and that's not even including all of the areas still hidden from the general map. I have to say, this is definitely shaping up to a be a much longer than average game by Super Nintendo standards, where most games back in the day lasted under 2 hours in a single run-through, if you didn't count having multiple deaths and having to retry over and over again. That said, I've heard that its still a fairly short game overall by the standards of this genre, with Castlevania: SOTN being a much longer experience. Well, that game took me roughly 15 hours to beat (if you include the inverted castle and the fact that I explored at least 190% of the areas in the game), so I'm assuming that this game could possibly take me anywhere from 5-8 hours on my first run through, given that I take my time with these sorts of games and get stuck at quite a few areas regularly.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 09, 2013, 06:29:06 PM
So, I've finally gotten around to practicing with charge characters in SSF4 today. While there's no d-pad on the planet that can do these characters justice (you flat-out need an arcade stick to play with these characters competitively), the one I have will suffice enough for for the game's default difficulty against the CPU in the arcade mode. That said, when I was practicing with a few of these characters, I was able to pull off their supers and ultras just fine (granted that I will always get 1 or 2 of my attempts botched every now and then). The problem I encountered was with Chun-Li. Her super and ultra have the same directional input, as they do with most characters, with the only difference being that you press any single kick button to activate her super and all 3 kick buttons together to activate her ultra (once again, this is how it works for pretty much every character in the game). However, for whatever reason, even when I press the 3K button, she just proceeds to perform her super. I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong, but I don't think my timing is off (I mean, when it executes the move that means I had everything executed right), but she just seems to stubbornly stick to her super no matter how many kick buttons I input at once. I'm guessing that I either can't use the 3K button and have to manually press all 3 kick buttons (which I flat-out can't do without botching the attack or completely screwing up the timing for its execution) or there's something else for the timing required to activate the ultra that I'm completely missing here. Either way, I can't seem to execute it specifically for Chun-Li, for whatever the reason may be, while I've been able to do with with the other charge characters that I've tried so far.

Its not too big a deal, though, since aside from completing the game with every character on arcade mode, I don't plan on using any charge characters whenever I finally get the opportunity to play the game online. My d-pad is fine for any of the regular characters, so those are the ones that I'm sticking with for competition against other players.

Hmm, pick Guile or Balrog and try their ultra's. If you still get super, it might be because supers have priority over ultras.

I went back to playing Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Mainly spent about 45 minutes in Trial and Training mode. Freestyle for the most part, but mainly tried to Bold Cancel with Dante on pad, and for the most part I got it, but not consistently. I understand the concept a lot better now, but for the time being I think I'll definitely be making the switch to stick, especially when it comes to wave dashing backwards.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on January 10, 2013, 01:31:59 AM
Hmm, pick Guile or Balrog and try their ultra's. If you still get super, it might be because supers have priority over ultras.

That's the thing, though. I did try Guile's ultra and it worked just fine for me. Same for other charge characters like Vega and M. Bison. Its only Chun-Li that hasn't worked for me so far, as she'll just default to her super over her ultra no matter what command I input. Mind you, I've only been doing this in training mode with the AI set to default (which basically means that it offers up no resistance at all). Maybe if I try it in arcade mode I'll have some more luck, but if I can barely manage to pull of charge attacks against no resistance in training mode, I highly doubt I'll do any better against opponents that actually fight back.

Anyways, I haven't tried Balrog out yet, and there are other charge characters that I still need to try, so I'll try them all out to see if I can at least pull off all of their ultras or if there are other characters besides Chun-Li that I'd have trouble with.

Grave

Change the super meter to something other than infinite.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Grave

Went from playing UMvC3 back to playing SSF4:AE. Finally figured out who my main character's going to be. Ibuki with Cammy being the secondary. I'll be using Guy as well (perhaps even more than Ibuki since I still want to have fun with the game). Whether I stick with this group of characters remains to be seen, but doubtful since, while I can't play Gouken, every time I see someone use him at a high level I want to learn that stuff. And then Oni is a fun character as well, but I plan to stay away from the shoto's since I prefer to play rushdown characters.

Like I said, chose Ibuki because, well, look at this. Ignore the first match. Latif has the best Viper. Not to mention she looks fun.

Guy, like I said, I'm still looking to have fun with the game, and besides I've always favored Guy over almost everyone ever since SFA.

Cammy because she's the shoto killer, and my brother-in-law chooses all shoto's and is pretty good with the main 3 (Ryu, Ken, Akuma).

All 3 characters requires pretty high execution so I got my work cut out for me.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 10, 2013, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on January 10, 2013, 08:58:47 AM
So this is your first time playing Super Metroid?

Yes.
I remember when my friend was playing Super Metroid when we were kids and he offered me and my brother a turn to play and I was like, "NO." because he was fighting some intimidating-looking boss. I think it was the last boss (IDK) and the only other thing I remember is how badass it was.

Erm, anyway, I didn't play the game until I got it on some computer years later, I downloaded it a few times after that...and I still haven't beat the game. I will say that I do like it more than SOTN.

talonmalon333

One of the issues I always had with SotN is how slow Alucard feels. The castle is so massive, but he feels so slow. I mean, the most convenient form of travel is turning him around and just repeatedly backsliding, as it's slightly faster than walking though a little awkward. Definitely more awkward than the speedy roll in Zelda games. :P

In comparison to that, Samus moves like a rocket. And I guess the level design is just more interesting in Super Metroid. Plus, the simplicity just works... Not to mention there's actually a certain level of challenge in Super Metroid. Even in the second castle, SotN dropped the ball in that category, especially as a Castlevania game.

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That and you can use the gravity boots to climb your way up the castle (or down for the inverted castle) really quickly if you don't want to go the slow route and fly all the way up in your bat form. Also the game has 5 warp rooms that so you won't ever have to backtrack throughout the whole castle just to get from one point to  the other.

Really, the speed of travel in SOTN was hardly an issue for me. Its not like it took THAT long to move throughout the castle.

talonmalon333

Changing into the wolf to constantly be running would've been just as tedious, especially cause it's base speed is really slow and it takes a while for it to pick up speed, and the amount of obstacles in the game could get in the way..... On the other hand, I actually kind of forget the gravity shoes. But I'll trust you on that point, E-K. Still I'd stand by my other reasons for preferring Super Metroid I wrote in that post.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It doesn't take that long to activate the speed, and if you're good you know the layout of the rooms you can jump over most obstacles and still maintain your speed. Either way, I find your complaint about Alucard being too low to be more nitpicky than a real problem with the game itself, personally.

Spark Of Spirit

Super Metroid is great. The wall jump is a little finicky, but just about everything in Super Metroid is great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton