What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 20, 2013, 07:42:02 PM
Don't ever play 3D 32-bit era games these days. Few hold up- especially ones without locked overhead cameras. 3rd person games without them suffer a lot.
Yeah, most 3D games for consoles that only have one control stick just don't hold up at all.

Grave

Against my better judgment I decided to take my scrubbiness online with SSF4:AE. I got bopped pretty badly. Won 1 game, lost about 10. There was this T-Hawk player that kept joining. I don't know if he was trying to get me to rage or anything since all he kept doing was throwing me, and unfortunately, I can't tech throws very well, let alone get out of command throws (especially with Cody. His backdash sucks). I want to say he was trolling me though because he had over 2000 PP, but his BP was about 800 with T-Hawk (might be the other way around), and truth be told, I was not impressed with it (Outside of this 1 dude's Cammy, I wasn't impressed with anything I went against). Had he joined a couple more times I probably would've had him downloaded, especially since he like to throw out random super every he got it. I just couldn't punish properly. Speaking of punishing properly, I really couldn't punish anything since I kept dropping my combos. My execution has never been great, or good for that matter but I couldn't even land my simple Cody Combos either. I'm even more convinced that I need to actually switch to stick and stick with it.

Am I salty about the losses? Yes and no. I'm salty about my poor execution, but the matches themselves I was kinda expecting since I only  stayed in training mode for about 15 minutes lol. Truth be told I shouldn't even be touching online yet if it's not against friends/family.

I'm also convinced that I need to drop Cody and stick with Ken and pick up Ibuki or Cammy again. I like Cody's rushdown, but he don't have a get off me move, and with my luck, I'd get punish badly for throwing out a EX Bingo blindly. I also learned that I need to stop pressing buttons since I was getting beat out by uppercuts and whatnot.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, was I actually supposed to go to the Black Tower before heading onto the 8th Dungeon? Because the story kind of indicated that my next destination should have been there, but then I kind of sort of accidentally stumbled into the 8th dungeon without even trying. I didn't get any in-game hints and I thought I was completing a side-quest or something, and then before I knew it I had entered the 8th dungeon without even so much as stepping foot into the Black Tower, so I'm not exactly sure if I broke sequence or not.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2013, 03:51:56 PM
So, was I actually supposed to go to the Black Tower before heading onto the 8th Dungeon? Because the story kind of indicated that my next destination should have been there, but then I kind of sort of accidentally stumbled into the 8th dungeon without even trying. I didn't get any in-game hints and I thought I was completing a side-quest or something, and then before I knew it I had entered the 8th dungeon without even so much as stepping foot into the Black Tower, so I'm not exactly sure if I broke sequence or not.
I recall doing something like that once in the game, but it might have been an earlier dungeon. I'm not sure.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hate looking up guides, but I'm really considering doing so just to see if I'm doing things in the right order. I mean, sequence breaking is cool and all on replays, but they also have the chance of fucking up your progress and blocking you from proceeding through the rest of the game normally (or at all, for that matter), so I'd rather be safe and just check rather than regret it later.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on May 20, 2013, 09:33:34 PM
Don't ever play 3D 32-bit era games these days. Few hold up- especially ones without locked overhead cameras. 3rd person games without them suffer a lot.
Yeah, most 3D games for consoles that only have one control stick just don't hold up at all.
Which is why PS2 is better than Dreamcast.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll take Power Stone 2 and Jet Grind Radio over any PS2 game, myself.

The DMC games don't count, of course, because those got ported to the XBOX360. :)

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 21, 2013, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: Foggle on May 20, 2013, 09:33:34 PM
Which is why PS2 is better than Dreamcast.
I know you're just trolling at this point, but I do agree. :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

For 2D games? I can't agree. For 3D games? Depends on the genre.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2013, 04:23:35 PM
There are 2D games on the PS2?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2013, 04:19:06 PM
I'll take Power Stone 2 and Jet Grind Radio over any PS2 game, myself.

The DMC games don't count, of course, because those got ported to the XBOX360. :)
And so did JGR, dumbass. You're usually smarter than this.
Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2013, 04:24:47 PM
I assumed only Xbox didn't have 2D. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 21, 2013, 04:24:47 PM
Klonoa 2 and Contra Shattered Soldier is about it.

Sort of like the previous generation the Saturn had the best 2D games and the N64 had the best 3D games, but the PS1 had the middle-ground. The Dreamcast to me tried to strike a balance on some level at least.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 21, 2013, 04:26:26 PM
And so did JGR, dumbass. You're usually smarter than this.

I'm aware of that, but I'm also aware that, from what I've heard, general reception says that the port for JGR wasn't as good as the original version due to some technical hiccups. The same goes for Power Stone 2 on the PSP, and in that case the portable version is markedly inferior to the console version (big surprise, huh?). The DMC games have pretty much perfect ports (except for the PC version of DMC3, which is apparently supposed to be shit).

Spark Of Spirit

Power Stone is pretty bad on the PSP. It really doesn't feel right.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2013, 04:34:02 PM
Power Stone is pretty bad on the PSP. It really doesn't feel right.

Because it was never meant to be played on a portable console. It was just a cheap nostalgia cash-in from Capcom to port the Power Stone games to the PSP. Its especially jarring in those levels that have huge environments which zoom out and make the characters look small in contrast. On a reasonably sized TV screen or Aracade cabinet, it looks fine and you can still see everything that's going on. On a PSP screen, the characters literally look like specs in those areas. It just makes the game near unplayable in certain spots, or at least just really hard and frustrating to play properly. Now, it'd be awesome if Capcom would've ported those games to the HD consoles, but understandably they'll never do it since those games would sell horribly in the modern gaming market, either way. I mean, I know the PSP version sold poorly because it sucked, but sadly even a proper port wouldn't fair much better.