What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Nel_Annette on August 07, 2013, 07:52:06 PM
I knew I should have played Xenoblade first. Sorry, people who like it, but The Last Story is boring as fuck.
Damn, looks like I wasted $30.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Foggle on August 07, 2013, 08:04:09 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on August 07, 2013, 07:52:06 PM
Sorry, people who like it, but The Last Story is boring as fuck.
The description I'd use would be "shit", actually.

Seriously. Why were people so adamant about bringing this thing over stateside? Remember how in the Final Fantasy thread, I talked about how most of the series had bored the fuck out of me? That's happening tenfold here. The battle system sucks. The characters are boring. None of the dialogue is entertaining. Why did this game even have a special edition? It's. Garbage.

I'm giving it one more hour of gameplay, and then I'm out. Holy hell this is a snoozefest.

Foggle

I had to stop playing The Last Story after only two hours with it. The writing and voice acting are absolutely cringe worthy. Very disappointing after how much I loved Lost Odyssey.

Kiddington

Nel_Annette

You're avatar is reminding me... I can't stand EarthBound. I've been playing it these past few days and.... yeah. This game's insanely tedious. I keep getting my ass kicked, and since they let you keep your levels and stuff, I've basically been strong-arming my way through the game. I knew the plot wouldn't be very deep at all, but I still expected something charming. Besides a few funny-looking enemies, there's almost nothing here. Each town's plot has been paper-thin, it took waaay too long just to get Paula (and she's level fucking one, wth?), it's usually unclear on what you need to do next, and it feels like there's hardly any strategy to the battles at all. The game really just seems to be famous for the mood whiplash of Giygas and his battle.

Pleeeeaaaase tell me this gets better. I'm in Threed now and I'm just not seeing why this game gets the love it gets. Did I just have to be there at the time?

(I still think Mother 3 is fantastic though.)

Spark Of Spirit

You have a LOT of game to go. The story is never super-involving, it mostly stays fun and simple throughout, even when it gets weird.

But if you don't like it, you don't like it. I think the battle system gets more fun when your HP is high and you can actually use the rolling numbers to your advantage, but I don't think it gets much different from that.

Also, Multi-Bottle Rockets pretty much destroy everything.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Have you guys seen how much Xenoblade is going for now?  More than Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Mario All Stars now. It wasn't even a year ago that I bought the game and already a used copy is worth at least twice as much as what I bought it for.  Thinking about holding onto it for a little longer to see how much the value goes up and then selling it off.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

I remember before Xenoblade came out in the US, I was joking with my friend about buying ten copies and then selling them off three years later for a 6x profit.

...Now I really wish I'd done that. Hell, I didn't even buy one copy, so I've yet to actually play the game, even though I hear it's fantastic.

Kiddington

I was actually just kidding with that post, but yeah, I guess I can see where Earthbound wouldn't be for everyone. Honestly, I haven't even played it myself in a few years, so who knows how well it'd hold up for me.

I still have my copy around here somewhere. Looks like I just found my next playthrough once I wrap up DKC3.

Foggle

Yo, they got this thing goin' on right now that's kinda' like the Humble Bundle but for Japanese indie games. Check it out! http://groupees.com/doujin

I've been really enjoying this Cherry Tree High Comedy Club. It's a lighthearted and happy game with a fun story. Definitely a nice breath of fresh air since 99% of games seem to be either dark and violent or relatively plot-less. The main character is very endearing; she reminds me a lot of myself, both positively and negatively.

I'm not sure how to describe the gameplay. I guess it's kind of like a deeper and non-sexual version of the social links in Persona 3/4? Sort of a visual novel but with more player input than usual. Odd how they Americanized the names for the English translation, though; bit of a 4Kids vibe going on there.

Was surprised to see Capcom listed as the publisher. Definitely unexpected.

Nel_Annette

Well, I guess I'll keep trying EarthBound to at least the point that I have every party member. But this is such a miserable slog through a game.  :cry:

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on August 09, 2013, 12:34:23 AM
Pikmin 3 is awesome.
How is it compared to the first two?

I was never big on the original, but the second was pretty cool.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

It's like a marriage of both actually. The time limit is dictated by the supplies you collect instead of the parts you need for your ship. The game kept a lot of the features from 2 and upgraded them for the tablet, and of course labyrinths were just replaced with simple caves. The enemies feel a little tougher than the old ones but it might just be me getting used to the new controls. They're a bit too sensitive for my taste, but the lock on feature kind of helps. Multitasking is still a huge part of the game, and you can throw captains this time so you can reach other parts much faster. Also 2's multiplayer is back and still funny as ever.

It's easily the best WiiU game out right now.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on August 09, 2013, 12:34:23 AM
Dragon's Crown is fun as fuck.
Yeah, I played some co-op yesterday. Pretty good game! Reminds me of Gauntlet in a lot of ways. One of those ways being that I don't think I'd at all enjoy it solo, despite my love of beat 'em ups.