What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Sounds like a bad time. Exactly the kind of game I'd want to avoid. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Does anyone else own an XBOX360 and have the Sega Vintage collection of the Streets of Rage trilogy? I'd love to have the opportunity to co-op these games online with someone.

Nel_Annette

Fixed the part of the sidequest I ragequit on in Tales Of The Abyss, and now I'm at the secret boss of the game. I now realize why I never beat this thing on the PS2. I think in order for me to stand a chance, I'm going to have to grind grade, beat the game, and use 3000 grade in new Game Plus to buy EXP x10 so that I'm in the level 200s by the time I fight her.

That's another thing I like about the Tales games by the way; the level cap is 250, not 100, so if you ever reach level 250 you're pretty much an unstoppable wave of destruction.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually didn't realize until now that you can increase the max amount of lives that you carry in SoR2, but I suppose I actually should've bothered to check to the "Options" menu beforehand. :D

At any rate, I should probably be able to get a lot further on the game with max lives turned on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just beat DMC3 on Very Hard mode. I beat Arkham on my 2nd try, and I'll flat-out admit that it was only because I allowed myself to use items for this boss fight. I used 3 large vital stars, to be exact, and I'm not ashamed of doing so at all, given how poorly this boss fight was designed. I had no intention of going through it multiple times over just to keep with my usual gameplay style of not using any items. After that, though, the Vergil fight was a BITCH on this difficulty. I mean, if any of you guys thought that Vergil was hard on Normal or Hard mode, then you'd probably break your console in frustration with how much tougher he gets on Very Hard mode (now it's hard for me to imagine what he's like on DMD mode). It's not cheap in the sense that you can still avoid all of his attacks perfectly fine if you are concentrating, but it is certainly less fun than on the lower difficulty settings, primarily because Vergil seemingly has no limit put on his Devil Trigger, so toward the second half of the fight he will start spamming the shit out of it, and even if you knock him out of that state, he can instantly revert back into it right away if his AI chooses to do that. It forces you to be extremely defensive in this fight and only attack him when he leaves you an opening which becomes rarer and rarer the closer he is to death. What makes it worse is that he always gains some health back when he is in his Devil Trigger mode, and there isn't a thing that you can do about it, so for the last entire half of the battle it took me forever to kill him even though he had less than a third of his health left, if only because he kept freaking regeneration that third. But, I finally beat him, and I got my achievement for beating the game on Very Hard mode. ;D

Oh yeah, and I also got a nice reward by unlocking the Super Dante costume. For those of you who don't know what that is, I'll describe it in just 4 simple words for you: UNLIMITED....FUCKING....DEVIL....TRIGGER! :shakeshakeshake:

Of course, it'd go against my principle to use that on my run through Dante Must Die mode, but you can bet your ass that I'm going to exploit the hell out of that on Bloody Palace mode in order to clear all 10,000 floors. :thumbup:

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 21, 2013, 01:03:11 PM
I actually didn't realize until now that you can increase the max amount of lives that you carry in SoR2, but I suppose I actually should've bothered to check to the "Options" menu beforehand. :D

At any rate, I should probably be able to get a lot further on the game with max lives turned on.
Ugh, only do that for 3 US.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

y'no, I never much cared for this episode, but I can imagine the stage for it being killer.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The stage was actually my second least favorite in the original game (never cared much for Transylvania), but the additions to the level make it flow better, and the additional treasures give a lot more incentive for exploration. Also, the remixed track is great.

I beat my record:

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

10 hours in, I'm really enjoying Tales of Phantasia. It's a quirky game with a lot of personality - exactly what I like. The story itself is cliched, sure, but it's still interesting, and I'm having more fun with just the combat and humor than I've ever had with 90% of the RPGs I've tried.

Grave

Tough past couple of weeks. Haven't really felt like playing any games this week, although they would've been the perfect remedy for me, but I was to tired from work.

Anyway, some games I'll be tackling today:

Mass Effect - I last left off on a side mission dealing with the Hanar and the C-sec officer. I don't have enough renegade points, so I'll come back to it later.

Street Fighter X Tekken - If SF4 ever die out (not likely, or until SF5 come out) I feel this would be the new 3rd Strike, in terms of just keeping the fighting games alive. Main team is Jin and Ken, with Jin and Hwoarang as the secondary. Kazuya and Lars will be played from time to time. I do recall saying the Guy is my favorite character in fighting games, but Jin and Hwoarang is right there with him, and despite the fact that both Jin and Hwoarang are top tier characters (and they are used so much) I still like them.

Quote from: Nel_AnnetteAnd the casts of Abyss and Vesperia are pretty awesome. Especially Jade Curtiss. Kirk Thornton sells that character. Probably my favorite character in the series.

Agreed, although, the only person I couldn't stand in Abyss is Luke. My God, he got on my nerves, especially during the 2nd half of the game. Jade and Guy are the best.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I played the demo for Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA and liked it. Is it worth buying the full game, or are there any better 3D platformers that I should be looking out for, first? Also, approximately how long would it take me to beat on a single play-through? I already replayed Sonic Adventure, and I'll get to SA2 eventually, but I'm looking for a good 3D platformer that I haven't actually played before.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 24, 2013, 02:01:48 PM
So, I played the demo for Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA and liked it. Is it worth buying the full game
If you like collect-a-thons, sure. The first part of the game is fun, but it gets tedious and monotonous around the halfway point IMO. Awful mini-games and boring worlds abound.

Quoteor are there any better 3D platformers that I should be looking out for, first?
Undoubtedly. Pick up a PS2 or PS3 with all the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper games. Or a Wii with Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

QuoteAlso, approximately how long would it take me to beat on a single play-through?
When I was a kid, I dumped around 50 hours into a single playthrough, but that's because I was easily entertained and always tried to find ways to make my own fun. Now it takes me around 8-10 hours to beat the game almost 100%. Will probably be more like 12-15 for a new player.

talonmalon333

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 = the 3D platformers to end all 3D platformers

Course that's for when you have a Wii.