What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

3D Space Harrier. Man, Space Harrier is perfect for a portable game and the 3D makes it even better.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 28, 2013, 05:30:23 PMAnd I got clumsy at the first boss and died on my first life. Where did it send me? The beginning of the level.

Sigh. Tecmo.

I thought you had save states, though. As for sending you to the beginning, I think it was only the NA version that did that. I recall the Japanese version sending you to the last checkpoint, like in the previous games.

Spark Of Spirit

I did, but I forgot about them. I changed that pretty fast though.

I'm currently on stage 2 and working my way through. Other than the annoying increase in damage and lack of checkpoints (and continues), the level design has been pretty good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like the addition of having areas where you have to scale up rather than left or right. I also like that Ryu can now hang off of pipes, ceilings, and vines to shimmy across platforms. And the best thing that's taken out from the previous games is that most attacks don't knock Ryu back into the nearest pit.

Honestly, I think the gameplay itself is an improvement. It's just that the levels are hit or miss, so the quality isn't as consistent as the first 2 games. That, and the music is kind of a dissapointment for how forgettable most of it is.

talonmalon333

Have any of you guys ever beaten the original NG in one sitting?

Spark Of Spirit

Stage 2 was pretty awesome. Total platforming fun, even though it was hard.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 28, 2013, 07:36:41 PM
Have any of you guys ever beaten the original NG in one sitting?
Up to the last stage before the checkpoint issue got to my nerves. That's as far as I've made it in one session.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

No. I can get to the final stage without having to use any continues when I'm playing at my absolute best, but I have to use at least some continues with Act 6-2, and I just downright can't do the final 3 boss fights without the use of save states in-between each one.

Nel_Annette

To be honest, I constantly forget about the save-state features on Wii U and 3DS. Kick myself over not using them so much.  :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

With Contra 3 out, now might be a good time to use 'em.  ;)

But yeah, I only use them on games with limited continues or bad checkpoints. I rarely ever use them otherwise.

Nel_Annette

From GameStop's Black Friday deals, I scored the Batman Arkham Bundle (first two games in one package with all the dlc) for $20 and Borderlands 2 GOTY Edition for $30. And then for the fuck of it, I bought Super Mario 3D World, The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour from Amazon. Free shipping!

I'm poor!  :joy:

Kiddington

Man I haven't played a Mario Party since the days of the 'Cube, at least. I wanna say 7 was the last one I've tried.

I know Hudson is obviously not making them anymore, are the new ones about the same?

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Kiddington on November 30, 2013, 08:45:57 AM
Man I haven't played a Mario Party since the days of the 'Cube, at least. I wanna say 7 was the last one I've tried.

I know Hudson is obviously not making them anymore, are the new ones about the same?

What I played of 8 was sort of different, in like how all the boards functioned, and of course, waggle minigames and all. 9 was kind of meh. All the players stay together in a car as it moves across the board. Might have worked well as one board's gimmick, but for the whole game it kind of ruins it.

Party Tour's apparently been getting some pretty bad reviews, and I've heard people saying that only two of the boards are any good, but I just kind of decided to buy everything that came out from Ninty on the 22nd because I'm stupid.  :light:

Hell, I even bought the red-case version of Mario Party DS for the hell of it last month. I can't believe the thing had come out in 2007. I'd never even heard of it.

Avaitor

I think 5's the last one I played. That's the one with the mecha stuff, right? That was okay.

3 is still my favorite, personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

3 was the best one.

Unfortunately, every MP game since then has been so-so at best. I wish they would just make an all-star MP with the best boards and games all in one package. At this point it's the only MP I'd be interested in.

Also, Nintendo bought the Mario Party team from Hudson and now they are part of Nintendo. So technically it has been the same team for the whole series.

Nel_Annette

There's a part of me that just wishes they'd take the whole Smash Bros. route and turn the Mario Party and Mario Kart franchises and just include all of their IPs into it. Keep the brand name, but just start throwing in LoZ, Kirby and Metroid stuff for the hell of it.