What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Il

Quote from: Homura Akemi on December 15, 2013, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Foggle on December 15, 2013, 08:53:40 AM
Beat Tomb Raider. I liked it so much that I foolishly went for 100% (don't do this). Finding the collectibles is mostly fun, but some of those optional challenges are incredibly tedious. My previous thoughts on the game still ring true; it's very good, and even if you don't think you'd like it, I still recommend giving it a try. You might be surprised like I was. :thumbup:

That's good. More people need to play Tomb Raider.
So this would be the latest Tomb Raider game we're talking about, correct?
I've played everything in the franchise from the start but the latest TR game. Found myself delaying to play it because the price of buying it didn't match the supposed length of playtime. How long of a game is it without going full 100%? Haven't checked but I'm sure I could get a nice low price for a copy by now.

Foggle

The main story is about 9-10 hours long. Add another 7-8 hours for 100%. The pacing is fantastic throughout with hardly any filler, so I'd say it's a pretty good length for an action-adventure game.

Rynnec

Quote from: Homura Akemi on December 15, 2013, 03:07:42 PM
Been playing God Eater recently. Tedious, but fun - a really good time waster.

How is it compared to Monster Hunter (assuming you've played those games as well)?

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on December 15, 2013, 04:38:37 PM
The main story is about 9-10 hours long. Add another 7-8 hours for 100%. The pacing is fantastic throughout with hardly any filler, so I'd say it's a pretty good length for an action-adventure game.
Thanks for the info. :thumbup: Think I'll finally pick up a copy during the holidays.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

MAYBE I'll borrow the game from a friend. To be honest I watched a good chunk of gameplay videos of Tomb Raider and it seems a bit too scripted for my liking, but there is such a lack of good AAA action/adventure titles these days that I might as well give it a shot.

Foggle

It's scripted, but it doesn't play itself. Only the major story points are really like that. A lot of it honestly feels just like the older Tomb Raider games but with easier platforming and better shooting, to me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, after a month of not gaming, I went back to playing DMC3 on DMD mode. I expected to do horrible, but to my surprise I got through Mission 9 without too much struggle. A lot of people complain about the spiders in this game, especially on DMD mode, but honestly they didn't give me too much trouble. Just attack them until they are about to attack back, and then do a single jump to dodge them and rinse and repeat until they are dead.

Anyways, I'm hoping to clear this game on DMD mode before Christmas.

gunswordfist

Rayman 3 HD and Beyond Good & Evil HD are TWO DOLLARS AND 49 CENTS today and then the sale will be over. I just bought them. You should too if you are even remotely interested in these games. Also Prince Of Persia Forgotten Sands is a few cents under 5 bucks.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Restarted Noitu Love and even though I wanted to beat just 1 stage and go start Rayman 3, I ended up beating 3. The game is kind of addictive. I love stage 3. The music in the first half is great and the boss cracks me up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just beat Mission 10 of DMC3 on DMD mode. OK, remember when I said that the spiders weren't that hard to deal with? Yeah, well, let me rephrase that: The small white spiders aren't that bad....but the big green spiders are fucking ass-holes! Good god am I lucky that none of them even devil-trigger'd on me, because even in their base form they were such a bitch to deal with. I guess on their own they aren't that bad, but when you have to fight 2 of the regular spiders along with them, then shit gets serious, and these fuckers can do massive amounts of damage to you on this difficulty setting. I finally had to cave in and use items to get past that last fight in mission 10, and this is one of the few times that I won't beat myself over the head for resorting to that because otherwise this fight would just be pure frustration and no fun. Of course, since I did finally use items, this difficulty punishes you hard for it, so I got a "D" ranking on the mission for the first time in the game (before then, I rarely ever even got a "C").

Meanwhile I went and played through Mission 7 as Vergil on Normal mode. I actually managed to clear that Secret Mission where you have to stay in the air for 20 seconds, which is even harder to do as Vergil than as Dante since Vergil lacks Air Hike (which you can basically use as a cushion of sorts if you happen to miss an Enemy Step opportunity). That was easily what I consider to be the hardest Secret Mission in the game to actually do legitimately, so the rest of them should be cake compared to this one. I also tried to get that blue orb fragment from the Combat Adjudicator in this level, but good god does Yamato suck as a solo-weapon for combos. I tried as much as I could but I could only ever manage to get as high as an SS level combo. To be fair, I don't have Yamato fully maxed out yet, but the same could be said for Rebellion and I still managed to execute an SSS combo with Dante before even maxing that weapon out, so I think it's safe to say that Yamato isn't a very proficient weapon on its own. Anyways, I did shamefully die once on this level on the Vergil boss-fight, because I had only a sliver of health left when I got their, and I only had such little health because I stupidly took damage as Vergil being that I was so used to Dante and kept forgetting that Verigl couldn't use Air Hike and that his Dark Slayer style didn't work the same way as Dante's Trickster style did. Of course, I totally massacred "Red" Vergil on my second attempt at the fight, so all things considered it went down pretty smoothly.

gunswordfist

Started Rayman 3 yesterday. I got to get used to hearing him talk.

Spark Of Spirit

3D Shinobi III.

If you own a 3DS but not this then you need to vanish from my sight immediately. Don't argue, just vanish.  :oo:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 19, 2013, 04:25:02 PM
What if you own a 2DS and not this? :sly:
Then you would be 5 years old and therefore not the target audience.  >:(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Why would owning a 2DS mean that the owner has to be of a different demographic? :humhumhum: