What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

Haven't had much to post lately due to laziness or not having time, but I have a nice week and a half vacation (finally). I'll continue my 2nd playthrough of MGR a little later, but since my last post I've been watching videos footage of SSF4:AE2012 and GGXXAC+.

SSF4:AE2012
Been watching footage of different people play Evil Ryu. I'm still trying to find that 1 character to stick with and right now I'm liking Sakonoko's playstyle using him. From what I remember when I used him, I had fun (especially when I bodied a Makoto), but he was very taxing on my thumb (haven't switched to my fight stick yet), but seeing the damage output that he can do, I can't do that stuff on the regular controller.

GGXXAC+
Been watch Satou use Johnny. My goodness Johnny is too stylish. I already know I'm going to have to put in work. I've also been watching Inoue (Kazunoko) use Order Sol. Also, I'm looking for top players that uses Milia and Jam as well.

Avaitor

GameStop is having a buy 2. get 1 free deal on used Wii and DS games. My friend took this chance to get me a couple of games, while scoring me a copy of Punch-Out. ;D

Also, I noticed the recent Nintendo points cards only seem to work for the 3DS and Wii-U. So I guess no more Virtual Console purchases for the original Wii.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Wii-U and 3DS only use money while the Wii uses actual points. You'd need to specifically find the blue point cards that some stores still have stocked in nooks and crannies.

And score for Punch-Out! One of the best games of last gen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

So I finally got a new-ish Pokemon game - SoulSilver! This is literally the first thing in the series I've bought since Platinum!

It's okay so far, but I'm having the same problems with this that I am the D/P/P line; everything just seems really clunky to me in comparison to the older games. I'm just not crazy about the graphics and overall presentation for some reason. Not a bad game by any means though, and the music is pretty sweet; remixes don't get much better than this.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 19, 2013, 04:05:04 PM
3D Shinobi III.

If you own a 3DS but not this then you need to vanish from my sight immediately. Don't argue, just vanish.  :oo:

*vanishes*

Grave

Little update with MGR. I don't remember it so well, but I think I'm at the area with the brains and on my way to face Sundowner. Favorite part of the game is right before all of that though, where you are basically running through all of the gunfire. While it don't have as much of an effect on me now I still think that part of the game is just so fun to play. During my 1st playthrough I had a lot of adrenaline pumping, running through all that stuff.

Fighting what's his name, the boss before Sundowner (wind blows, rain falls guy... Man I'm terrible with names) was a pretty good boss fight as well. I will say that he was pretty easy this time around although I do have his pattern down a bit.

Rynnec

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played through missions 8 and 9 of DMC 3 as Vergil, plus I went through a fair bit of Bloody Palace mode in 2 attempts to farm some red orbs. I find it funny how the extra character in DMC 3 has far deeper combat than the main character from DMC 4, Nero. Overall, I'm still not that good with Vergil, but I'm really starting to appreciate his wide arsenal of moves and his own set of intricate nuances.

gunswordfist

Played more Rayman . The first boss... :gonk: Ugh. The 2nd boss was much better though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

Decided to put MGR on hold for a bit since Batman: Arkham Origins arrived today. I think it was already established that it wasn't going to be a new batman game, not to mention that Montreal said they were using the same mechanics as Arkham City (So I ignore all that hoopla about it being Arkham City). I watched a little bit of a walkthrough yesterday (spoiling myself to some degree) and I'm actually thinking that I might enjoy this game a lot more than AA and AC, and that's mainly because of the group of villains in this game (Minus Elektrocutioner/Electrocutioner, I have no idea who he is). Granted I like Joker (best villain in DC), but I'm a bigger fan of Deathstroke, and to see Black Mask finally be put in something, and I welcome this approach. Now I gotta see if they deliver.

Edt:

1st impressions. Got bopped pretty badly against Croc even though he seems to be fairly easy. I didn't expect the controls to give me much of a problem, but it just feels weird. R2 not being detective mode is pretty awkward. I wouldn't advise playing this and then jumping back to Arkham City/Asylum. Played a portion of Deathstroke and he seems pretty good. Had to quit though because the folks with the shields and knives were giving me issues and I don't know how to counter them yet, so I'll wait till I advance more in the story before going back to that training.

Graphics are amazing. Look like the team was really trying to push the PS3 to the limit with this game.

Even though he's no Conroy, I still like the v/a they got for this batman, but then again so far the voices sounds pretty good.

Anyway, all I really gotta do is get used to the weirdness of these controls and I should be good to go.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on December 21, 2013, 09:08:05 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 19, 2013, 04:05:04 PM
3D Shinobi III.

If you own a 3DS but not this then you need to vanish from my sight immediately. Don't argue, just vanish.  :oo:

*vanishes*
Thank you.  8)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Oh, so today's Wiki article was Mario Power Tennis.

Y'no, I never actually played this one. If it's anything like the first one, I might look for either the original or Wiimake soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OK, I don't play this card often, but I'm going to have to come right out and say that Geryon on DMD mode is a cheap boss. The difficulty is frustrating and unfair, since the hit detection for this boss is abysmal, his missile spam is annoying to deal with, and his ability to slow down time every time you knock him down in order to escape being combo'd is beyond ridiculous. I'm not going to lie, I eventually just said "fuck it!" for this fight and restarted the mission with my Super Dante costume and took this guy out with the use of unlimited DT. If the developers aren't going to play fair with this one, then neither am I.

Overall I still love this game, but good god does DMD mode suck the fun out of it all. My recommendation for anyone tackling the higher difficulties for this game is to just stop after beating Very Hard mode. It's the pinnacle of where this game's difficulty is challenging, but still balanced enough to be fun.

Spark Of Spirit

Finally made it through expert ninja mode of Shinobi III without using shurikens.

Now that was a challenge.

But it can be done! That's good game balance right there.

Grave

Batman: Arkham Origins
Beat Deathstroke. I can imagine this fight being very epic on higher difficulties simply because of all the countering. I can see some people complaining about them, but I like it. I did get hit quite a few times, and eventually got a game over because I was still trying to get used to the controls, and then instead of trying to time the counters I was mashing. So it's good to know that I can't get away with mashing in this game (Funny, you'd think fighting games can learn from this). That said, I am liking this game more and more.

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
My brother-in-law came over today and we ran a set (about 6-7 games). I won one match, but all of them were epic matches except for when he busted out his Akuma against my Dudley. It was my first time using Dudley, so, yeah. Still great games. I wasn't expecting it to be that epic or fun. Anyway, I used Ken, Dudley and Yun while he used Ryu and Akuma. My Ken is still in it's beginning stages, but I did figure out that I'm going to main him and probably make Yun my secondary (or vice versa). What's even better is that I had more fun playing this game more than SSF4 (and we all know how much I like that game). I'm not good at parrying at all, but it just seems better than FADC. Granted FADC is hard to master, but for those that uses a regular controller, that stuff is tedious and more complicated than it really needs to be. Anyway, very fun set. Probably get in another by this weekend.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on December 23, 2013, 07:19:16 PM
Oh, so today's Wiki article was Mario Power Tennis.

Y'no, I never actually played this one. If it's anything like the first one, I might look for either the original or Wiimake soon.

It's... okay. My friend and I played it a hell of a lot when it came out, but the rampant abuse of the special moves (on both the players and the computer) take the fun out of it after a while.

Anyone know how the 3DS one is?