What Are You Currently Playing? 5.05: You Are (Not) A Gamer

Started by Avaitor, August 30, 2012, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Nel_Annette

Look, either you clean the baby's ass or you can suddenly have every piece of furniture in the house fly at you for no reason in an overly-long quick time event.

...Man, fuck David Cage.

Grave

Mass Effect
Lot's of technical hiccups popping up. Gunfights are over and my crew are still shooting at nothing. I order my squad to go into a room ahead of me and they say their path is blocked because they're too busy looking up at walls. These button sequences are annoying as well, but then again I'm blaming the controller on this one. Scratch that. Playing this on the PS3 is a no no, but maybe it's because the controller is uncomfortable in my hands. The layout is the same as the 360 controller, but the buttons don't feel nearly as comfortable. It's like this game (series) was specifically made for the 360 (considering it was a 360 exclusive at one point. Probably should've kept it that way), but like I said, I only got the series on the PS3 simply because the DLC was easier to obtain.

Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Practicing some combos and trying to punish things such as a Shoryuken as Ken and Dudley.

P.S. I'm starting to regret giving my brother my 360 since I'm starting to miss playing Halo (and Mass Effect feels much better on there)

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on February 22, 2014, 08:52:34 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 21, 2014, 01:41:25 PM
Quote from: Foggle on February 21, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
"I have never been more bored in my life." -- My girlfriend on playing Beyond: Two Souls
Not enough gameplay in your game? Thy expecteth too much from the gaming industry.
Now she's playing Heavy Rain.

"I have to change a baby's nappy in a video game for the PlayStation 3 in the year 2014! What a time to be alive."

Ah David Cage, I remember when he said gaming needs to grow-up. While that is debatable, he is the last kind of person that should be opening his mouth about that. From what I've seen of his "games" his content feels like that kid that does stuff that makes him feel mature, even though doing that stuff is probably the most immature thing you can do.

On a side note, I look forward to the day your girlfriend plays Gone Home and realizes she can beat it in the same amount of time it takes me to make a big bowl of popcorn.

Dr. Insomniac

David Cage is a very mature storyteller. That's why he had Madison Paige go to this strip club and manipulate a Mexican pimp by squeezing his nuts so she could get information on who the Origami Killer was. And that was after Madison escaped this random taxidermist who wanted to turn her into a doll for some reason.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Nel_Annette

I just love the realism of everything in Heavy Rain. Cage gets everything down perfectly, right down to the crimeglasses and crimeglove from 2045 being available to an FBI agent. Did you know those are standard issue?

Dr. Insomniac

I also adore Blake's in-depth and heavily layered character. When he tries to murder Ethan without any real evidence and yells at Jayden for motives that are never really discussed, I am enamored by his personality. He truly knows how to deal with crime in a realistic and grounded matter. David Cage must have talked to a hundred cops in order to write Blake as a true human being.

talonmalon333

I have actually heard very mixed opinions on Heavy Rain (though I haven't played it yet, so I can't really say). Might these negative opinions have more to do with the cinematic style of the game rather than its actual story?

King Hippo

I played it years ago.

It's kind of like if Law & Order and Batman TAS had a baby. It tries hard to be realistic and grounded, but keeps throwing cockamamie bullshit at you which feel more at home in a Bruce Timm show.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 23, 2014, 12:20:38 PM
I have actually heard very mixed opinions on Heavy Rain (though I haven't played it yet, so I can't really say). Might these negative opinions have more to do with the cinematic style of the game rather than its actual story?
To be honest, the story is easily the worst thing about the game, aside from the voice acting. It has some of the worst writing I've ever seen in a video game, though it's still better than the second half of Indigo Prophecy. David Cage should not be allowed to write scripts. And speaking of that voice acting, it's about on the level of Resident Evil 3.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on February 24, 2014, 12:45:17 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 23, 2014, 12:20:38 PM
To be honest, the story is easily the worst thing about the game, aside from the voice acting. It has some of the worst writing I've ever seen in a video game, though it's still better than the second half of Indigo Prophecy. David Cage should not be allowed to write scripts. And speaking of that voice acting, it's about on the level of Resident Evil 3.

To be honest, I don't know a lot about Heavy Rain except that its big on story... To the point where I honestly thought at least 90% of the game was story.

Nel_Annette

I actually like the actors for Scott Shelby and FBI guy. It's just too bad they were given such shit material to work with.

Spark Of Spirit

To think, the story is the one thing hailed as amazing by the gaming industry and yet if it was a novel, TV show, or movie, it would be up there with Manos.

Something's wrong here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

There are many game stories that, while considered masterpieces, are still far from what you can get in literature, film, or television. This medium still has a really long way to go before it reaches those levels. I feel like most people who disagree with that statement are just critics who are getting paid to say something, or gamers who have no knowledge of those other forms of media.

I can think of a handful of game stories that are good or that, in general, I just like. But this is all why, in the video game story thread on this forum, I carefully made a point of saying I can only think of two or three great video game stories.