The Kirby Series

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 03:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

It's pretty much the same throughout, except the latter half is a bit "darker" in atmosphere. Still, though, the game's my childhood, and I love every second of it. Especially the factory, the last stage before Miracle Matter (big band music ftw), and of course, the mood whiplash of O2.

Spark Of Spirit

I just for the life of me couldn't understand after Superstar why they never you know... tried to top Superstar.

I don't even hate any of the games but I just never understood why they never tried to top the best game in the series until, IMO, the recent one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

The game is just reeeeeaaaaalllly slow.  Never played a Kirby game this sluggish, even the super easy Epic Yarn had a good pace.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2012, 09:15:15 PM
I just for the life of me couldn't understand after Superstar why they never you know... tried to top Superstar.

I don't even hate any of the games but I just never understood why they never tried to top the best game in the series until, IMO, the recent one.

What? How in the world were they trying to top it? Just seemed like they made a straight-up Kirby game to me.

And I still don't get the praise for Return To Dream Land. What in the world is it doing so much better than, say, Squeak Squad or Amazing Mirror other than co-op? It's like the Mega Man games; everyone keeps pointing all these little differences that make the games better or worse than each other, but it's essentially the same thing over and over to me. Most of the reason I love Kirby 64 is simply due to atmosphere and music.

(Of course, this "same thing" thing doesn't apply to the formula changers like Canvas Curse, mass Attack or Epic Yarn)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel on September 23, 2012, 02:07:28 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2012, 09:15:15 PM

What? How in the world were they trying to top it? Just seemed like they made a straight-up Kirby game to me.

And I still don't get the praise for Return To Dream Land. What in the world is it doing so much better than, say, Squeak Squad or Amazing Mirror other than co-op? It's like the Mega Man games; everyone keeps pointing all these little differences that make the games better or worse than each other, but it's essentially the same thing over and over to me. Most of the reason I love Kirby 64 is simply due to atmosphere and music.

(Of course, this "same thing" thing doesn't apply to the formula changers like Canvas Curse, mass Attack or Epic Yarn)
The powers are improved from Superstar, there is gameplay variety in the main game with the awesome last world, the challenge rooms, and mini side-games in the same file, the difficulty has been ratcheted up with a super-tough hard mode, and the levels are perfectly designed to compensate for four people or just one. At the very least that's what I think and feel it is better than any of the Kirby games since Superstar since it finally tried to expand on the powers beyond "single move single hit" that I always disliked about them in every other non-Superstar game.

Squeak Squad has none of that, and Amazing Mirror is a terrible Metroidvania that is the worst game in the series. Other than Kirby 64, what other main Kirby game even came out after Superstar to compare?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Well, after some thought... I think I need to finish the game to really discuss it with you. I quit after world 2 because it was just "same old same old". And to be perfectly honest, I have no idea what you're talking about, Spark. XD Are you referring to the number of game modes it has and the amount of powers or how the powers work?

Sorry dude, I don't mean it as an argument or anything; I just don't think my brain's processing what you're saying the way you mean it, and as a result I am confused.  :sweat:

Though to be fair, I'm probably not comparing the same way as you because I don't really think Superstar is that great.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel on September 23, 2012, 11:08:36 PM
Well, after some thought... I think I need to finish the game to really discuss it with you. I quit after world 2 because it was just "same old same old". And to be perfectly honest, I have no idea what you're talking about, Spark. XD Are you referring to the number of game modes it has and the amount of powers or how the powers work?

Sorry dude, I don't mean it as an argument or anything; I just don't think my brain's processing what you're saying the way you mean it, and as a result I am confused.  :sweat:

Though to be fair, I'm probably not comparing the same way as you because I don't really think Superstar is that great.
It's fine, it's fine.  :D

No, I'm just a really big fan of Superstar, and when I finally got a game that added on to the powers (they have more uses, last longer, and don't go away in a single hit) and that the levels are really tight.

But yeah... I, uh, can't really talk about the last world unless you've beat it but it has a good reference to something they haven't done since Superstar. The challenge rooms are a fantastic extra, and the unlockable minigames are just as fun as the ones in Superstar to me.

Though if Superstar isn't your Kirby game of choice, what I appreciate about it might just not be your bag in general.

Nel_Annette

If you're talking about the final boss, no worries; I was spoiled on that long ago.

I can appreciate what Superstar was going for with all it's different modes. It's just that past that, every game mode just feels like average Kirby to me with a slight twist. Though I do love the fuck out of Milky Way Wishes.

I guess with the newest one, it's like, the only Kirby games I had been playing for the past few years were Squeak Squad, which I did enjoy, and Epic Yarn, which I got bored with at world 3. But then I got RTDL, and it basically just feels like Squeak Squad with the NSMB/DKCR shiny coat of paint on it. It still had the "collect three things in the level if you can" bit, the powers and level design felt the same, and I hated those dark sections where you'd be running from a wall. All the hype beforehand made me think I was basically getting Kirby 64-2, but it doesn't contain that same atmosphere (though that's on my fault, not the game's). Like with Superstar, I just don't really care about the challenge modes or minigames, I guess.

That said, I still liked what I played, it isn't a bad game at all, it just felt like I was replaying Squeak Squad. And when you grow up on Kirby bosses like Kracko, Dark Matter, O2 and Pix, that freaking Chef thing at the end of world 2 just isn't inspiring at all. XD

But then, I like Amazing Mirror, so what do I know?  :joy: When it comes to worst games in the series, I just remember how frustratingly irritating Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel on September 23, 2012, 11:08:36 PM

Why not? I actually think it's hard not to favor Superstar.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel on September 23, 2012, 11:25:26 PM
If you're talking about the final boss, no worries; I was spoiled on that long ago.

I can appreciate what Superstar was going for with all it's different modes. It's just that past that, every game mode just feels like average Kirby to me with a slight twist. Though I do love the fuck out of Milky Way Wishes.

I guess with the newest one, it's like, the only Kirby games I had been playing for the past few years were Squeak Squad, which I did enjoy, and Epic Yarn, which I got bored with at world 3. But then I got RTDL, and it basically just feels like Squeak Squad with the NSMB/DKCR shiny coat of paint on it. It still had the "collect three things in the level if you can" bit, the powers and level design felt the same, and I hated those dark sections where you'd be running from a wall. All the hype beforehand made me think I was basically getting Kirby 64-2, but it doesn't contain that same atmosphere (though that's on my fault, not the game's). Like with Superstar, I just don't really care about the challenge modes or minigames, I guess.

That said, I still liked what I played, it isn't a bad game at all, it just felt like I was replaying Squeak Squad. And when you grow up on Kirby bosses like Kracko, Dark Matter, O2 and Pix, that freaking Chef thing at the end of world 2 just isn't inspiring at all. XD

But then, I like Amazing Mirror, so what do I know?  :joy: When it comes to worst games in the series, I just remember how frustratingly irritating Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are.
Those nightmare sequences I actually really liked and in hard mode they are blistering fast (I still don't know how  beat them), but if you're worried about bosses... definitely keep playing The bosses are pretty cool overall. On hard, they are pretty insane, too. I dunno, the game just really clicked with me. I'd been waiting for a Kirby game to click with me since Superstar and one finally did outside of all those side games.

... I really didn't like Amazing Mirror as you can tell.  :D I like Metroidvanias and Kirby games but I just could really never get into it no matter how many times Ive tried.

Canvas Curse was a letdown though. I heard so many people raving about it, then I played it and I just really didn't get into it at all.

Nel_Annette

different strokes I guess. The Metroidvania aspect was what really drew me to it.

Avaitor

I finally got around to trying out the set, and just beat Kirby's Adventure. That is a legit, if all too short, romp.

Now onto Kirby's Adventure!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on October 16, 2012, 09:17:54 PM
I finally got around to trying out the set, and just beat Kirby's Adventure. That is a legit, if all too short, romp.

Now onto Kirby's Adventure!

The game so nice you play it twice!  :sly:

talonmalon333

Kirby's Adventure has to be in my top 5 NES favorites.

Avaitor

It is really good, yes. I especially love that boss in level 2, the one that paints his enemies. He has such a great design and power, only from Nintendo.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/