Your Top Favorite Animated Shows

Started by talonmalon333, October 01, 2012, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregX

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 16, 2016, 04:56:39 PM
On the subject of Marvel and DC superhero shows, while I fully agree with the sentiment that on the whole DC's animated output is generally far superior to Marvel's (although none of DC's recent outings have enticed me, to be honest), I feel rather disheartened when I notice stuff like The Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes being rather overlooked these days. I hardly ever see anyone talking about it, especially when on the subject of how much Marvel Animation sucks. You'd think that people would at least point out that these two series are stand-outs in their own right, but they seem to be rather forgotten these days despite not being that old.

It helps when Marvel's TV department is doing their best to bury both shows. They pretend they don't exist.

Avaitor

Cool choices all around!

Here are some of my favorite series from the decade thus far. I'm only picking shows that started from 2010 onwards, though.

Archer
Adventure Time
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Bojack Horseman
Clarence
Fate/Zero

Hunter X Hunter (2011)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Mr. Osomatsu
One-Punch Man
Regular Show
Rick and Morty
Steven Universe

Sym-Bionic Titan
We Bare Bears

Wow, I have a lot to catch up on.

Edit: decided to bold the series that would most likely crack my top list.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Erased
Legend Of Korra
Black Dynamite
Regular Show
Sym-Bionic Titan
Young Justice Avengers EMH
Wolverine And The X-Men
Ushio & Tora
Jojo
Batman The Brave And The Bold
Green Lantern
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Fate/Zero
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Great stuff, yourself, Avaitor.

Adventure time is sort of like the FMA of western cartoons for me, in that I think that it's generally pretty good, but have never been able to bring myself to truly love it like everyone else does.

I really need to watch more of Clarence. And I need to start Steven Universe one of these days.

Fate/Zero is awesome, but it's due for a re-watch from me.

Hunter X Hunter 2011 is good stuff, but I'm in the minority that prefers the 1999 series.

I've read a decent amount of the manga, but oddly enough I still have yet to get around to the OPM anime. I'll fix that soon.

I also still need to get around to some of those other shows.

As for the ones from my list which have cracked my top list, they'd be (not including ones that have already been featured on my previous lists):

Archer
Mr. Osomatsu
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Ushio and Tora

Spark Of Spirit

A recent top ten? Okay, here's mine in no order:

Ushio & Tora
Blood Blockade Battlefront
My Hero Academia
Erased
Kids on the Slope
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Gravity Falls
Sym-Bionic Titan
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Erased
Legend Of Korra
Regular Show
Sym-Bionic Titan
Ushio & Tora
Jojo
Batman The Brave And The Bold
One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Hunter X Hunter

My top 10, barring any shows I forgot.

gunswordfist

Batman is my current favorite show of any kind. I'd even say the gap between it and my current favorite anime, HXH 1999, is kind of big.

Avaitor

I honestly haven't heard much about Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjo, but reading about it makes the series sound pretty promising. I definitely need to give it a shot.

And I forgot about Green Lantern! What a nice show.

As for Adventure Time, it's never been the funniest or most engaging show out there for me, but what makes it stick around in my mind is its ability to experiment. Not every breaking of the show's mold works, but I rarely feel like I'm watching the same episode twice, which I honestly can't say about many of my other favorites. Even when the show is at its most drab, or picks less-interesting characters to focus on, I like tuning in because they always seem to find something new to do with the show.

Also, I need to watch past the first 2 episodes of Kids on the Slope.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Green Lantern doubly hurt because it was canceled due to the movie bombing, but it was such a great space opera that really made me care about everyone involved. I hope it is looked back on as one of the best superhero shows with Spectacular Spider-Man.

I should have also included Tiger & Bunny, but let's just say that's at #11.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Oh, so that's why it was cancelled? That sucks.

LumRanmaYasha

Cool lists, guys! Lots of great stuff that I like in there. So many great shows have come out of this decade. We're definitely in a renaissance when it comes to television animation.

My Top 20 Animated series of the decade would be as follows. Like Avaitor, I'm only counting shows that started after 2010, though I'm counting distinct seasons/sequels to some series as separate shows. I'm also highlighting shows that have broken into my all-time favorite animated series list.

Adventure Time
Archer
BoJack Horseman
China, IL
Clarence
Gintama'/Gintama°
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Kill la Kill
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Lupin the Third: Part IV
Major Lazer
Mr. Osomatsu
Mushi-shi -Next Passage-
Regular Show
Rick & Morty
Space Dandy
Steven Universe

Obviously, there's more that I like. But these are the shows that have left the biggest impression on me and I revisit the most.

gunswordfist

I'm surprised Black Dynamite didn't make your list. Also, add Mike Tyson Mysteries to my top 20..17.

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 18, 2016, 12:06:46 PM
Oh, so that's why it was cancelled? That sucks.
The series couldn't even get a toyline to bomb, since distributors didn't want to hold shelf space for something tied to as big of a dud as the GL movie. Which is a shame, since it's a good series that deserved more.

I haven't really heard about Major Lazer- is it really worth a look?

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 18, 2016, 03:02:49 PM
I'm surprised Black Dynamite didn't make your list. Also, add Mike Tyson Mysteries to my top 20..17.

I'm a fan of both shows, but since I limited myself to only 20 series, I had to leave them off. While Black Dynamite is still one of my all time favorite movies, I haven't really revisited the animated series since it ended. As for Mike Tyson Mysteries, while it's been consistently great, I still haven't really formed a real connection with the show itself that makes watching it more of a personal experience for me like most of my other favorites provide. That could change in the future, though, especially considering how strong it's been this season.

Quote from: Avaitor on May 18, 2016, 10:12:59 PM

I haven't really heard about Major Lazer- is it really worth a look?

I don't know if it's for everyone, but I really, really enjoy it. The show blends psychedelic imagery, creative takes on familiar pop culture topics, homages to 80's cartoons, the sensibilities of a stoner comedy but with stronger wit and narrative flow than most [adult swim] fare, dynamic animation, and eclectic and memorable music rooted in electronic/dance music culture in one thoroughly enjoyable, unique package. It's one of my favorite animated series currently running, and I think it's a shame that it's been so overlooked. The first episode in particular, "Bad Seed," would rank amongst my all time favorite animated episodes period. If season two is as strong as the first, it'll crack my favorites list easy.

Pharass

I really should get around to update my list, I can think of at least one recent show that would get on it. There are also a few older shows that I haven't watched in years that I'm thinking of re-watching to see if they hold up.

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on May 18, 2016, 02:30:59 PM
Adventure Time
Archer
BoJack Horseman
China, IL
Clarence
Gintama'/Gintama°
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Kill la Kill
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Lupin the Third: Part IV
Major Lazer
Mr. Osomatsu
Mushi-shi -Next Passage-
Regular Show
Rick & Morty
Space Dandy
Steven Universe

Nice, I'm especially pleased to see Steven Universe and Genroku Rakugo on there. Also, a reminder that I really should get around to watch Mushi-shi -Next Passage- at some point.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.