Your Top Favorite Animated Shows

Started by talonmalon333, October 01, 2012, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I debated between a few for number 10. Though the rest were all natural picks for me my top 3 especially are pretty rock solid.

I do wish I could think of an idea for KOTH feature of some kind. That's a hard one to peg down, but it wouldn't really work the same as my TB&TB series does. I do think it deserves something, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I just can't decide what my #1 is. It's a big tie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fuck! You know what movie I forgot to rank among my favorites? The Adventures of Tintin.

Granted that, I'm long overdue for a re-watching of that film, and since it happens to be on Netflix, I'll hit it up soon. If it's at least as entertaining on a re-watch as it was for me the first time, then I think it may just end up bumping Redline off of my top 10 list.

LumRanmaYasha

I was randomly looking at old threads over on ToonZone and came across this:

Quote from: Cartoon X on 11-13-20091. One Piece- Great characters, epic battles, a perfect mix of comedy and action, and great pacing. Heck, even its Fillers are good!
2. Looney Tunes- No words can describe how great it is.
3. King of the Hill- One of the most underestimated cartoons of all time. KOTH is a great show with funny characters and some great story arcs.
4. SGT. Frog- I'm addicted to it! It's so funny you can't stop watching! The dub might add some unnecessary jokes at times but.. too funny!
5. Bo^7- I really was into it for the first 35 episodes, but kinda lost interest at Halekulani. Still, it is one of the funniest anime's of all time!
6. The Simpsons- Even if it has lost some of its charm, The Simpsons continues to be funny (or at least it tries) and no one can deny how great it was in the Golden age!
7. American Dad- A great comedy that has never failed to entertain me.
8. Yu Yu Hakusho-The greatest fighting anime there evere was.
9. Powerpuff Girls- I like the villans primarily, especially Mojo and Him.
10. Case Closed- I can never figure out who the murderer is, and its just a great show overall.

It's funny how much and how little opinions can change.  :lol: Nowadays, Sgt. Frog would barely make my top 65, The Powerpuff Girls my top 50, and Case Closed my top 40, and One Piece is my top 20. The other stuff is still in my top ten, though, so I guess I am somewhat consistent after all. But Sgt. Frog over Bobobo and my fourth favorite cartoon? It's been a looong four years.  :il_hahaha:

Avaitor

So I think my favorite cartoon blocks were

1- Cartoon Cartoon Fridays (peak years- probably 2000-mid 2002)
2- Toonami )morseo the classic era- peak years probably being 2001-2004 ish)
3- Disney Aftenoon (peak years- 1990-1991, 1993-1995)
4- Kids WB! in the 90's

And that might be it. ;)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Cool idea! Those are some great choices. My personal favorites are:

5. Kids WB! (mid-2000's - 2002-2006)

I watched Kids WB! only in the mid-2000's, but at that age I enjoyed quite a lot of it. I loved watching Pokemon, Yu-Gi-OH!, Jackie Chan Adventures, and X-Men Evolution, Xiaolin Showdown, and Megaman NT Warrior on weekdays AND early saturday mornings. I mean...the only two of those shows I actually still like are Jackie and X-men (well, I'll always be able to watch the first 5 seasons of Pokemon out of nostalgia...), but still, as a kid, those were some fun hours to pass the time with, and the bumpers were funny and creative (I loved the yu-gi-oh card game they did one time between various characters from their shows. Seeing Charizard playing yu-gi-oh was amazing). I have lots of recordings of the block from that era on many vhs tapes, and one of these days, I might try and capture that footage digitally and share them.

4. Fridays (peaks years - 2003- early 2006)

While I was sad to see CCF go at the time, I enjoyed Fridays. Tommy and Tara were fun hosts, the puppets were hilarious, and they kept every week fun to watch even when the shows were only reruns or mediocre. I have fond memories watching many Foster's and Duck Dodgers episodes on the block, as well as seeing Spirited Away for the first time there. It is to my everlasting chagrin I didn't tune in the night they premiered the first episode of Bobobo on the network before it's official premiere on Toonami the next day, but alas. I honestly have about as much nostalgia fro Fridays as I do Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, and if nothing else, it's intro was amazing.

3. Cartoon Cartoon Fridays

I loved how a different CN character hosted the block each week, and the fact the shows were awesome helped make Fridays nights a real event for me back when I was a kid. My favorite moments were probably the night the Mayor hosted and talked about walkie-talkies, and the night Mojo took over...only to have to co-host it with Blossom and Courage. "Looks like there's a scheduling conflict. Who did the schedule anyway?" "I think Bravo." - classic. I wish CN would do this something like this again. Instead we have Pizza Steve and Mr. Gus. I like those characters just fine, but they don't run no CCF, I tell you what.

2. Toonami (2005-2007)

I didn't start watching Toonami regularly until 2007. The anime that got me into anime was Dragon Ball GT (yes, I know, but cut me some slack I was 9!), and I cried for two days when the last episode aired 'cause I was completely not expecting it (I had only started watching the show regularly with #61, how was I supposed to know it would end with #64?). Anyway, I learned about "The Lost Episodes" and was overjoyed. That's when I started paying attention to the rest of the block as well. I was already watching Megas XLR, Justice League/Unlimited, and Teen Titans outside the block, so it didn't take much for me to tune into them on saturdays too, and I found Duel Masters amusing (who couldn't with that gag dub?). I saw the promos for Zatch Bell! and so when it premiered I checked it out and really got into it. After that, I slowly came to watch most of the block and would do so until things really turned bad in 2007, where the only shows I watched were DBZ reruns, FUNi One Piece, and, of course, Bobobo.

I think I have fonder memories of Jetstream. It was really cool to me that they were premiering new shows online, in addition to streaming older and current titles, and I watched and rewatched shows on Jetstream very frequently. I have fond memories of waiting for the new episodes to update every Tuesday, chowing down on some fast-food we picked up from BK or somewhere while watching MAR or Hikaru no Go. I fondly remember the short-lived dub of Eyeshield 21 that premiered on there, and when they uploaded two DBZ episodes every weekday for weeks until they got to the end of the Namek arc, finally seeing the end of the Millennium Mamodo arc of Zatch Bell! (since the series went off air before it finished), watching premiere episodes of Megaman Starforce (I might dislike NT Warrior nowadays, but I still love Starforce. I wish they dubbed it fully, and gave it a home video release...),  being able to rewatch Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, Genndy Clone Wars, Dragon Ball, and of course, Bobobo, which I especially appreciated since CN NEVER reran any episodes of that series when it was running nor did it rerun when ended, so I finally had the chance to see the episodes I missed and rewatch old favorites. I must have rewatched episodes 6, 16, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, and 30 in particular each a score or more of times.

While not every Jetstream-exclusive show holds up for me, Hikaru no Go, Megaman Star Force, the remainder of dubbed Zatch Bell, and the streams of older great shows still make me wistful for it when I think of Toonami. That said, I love Toonami the tv block a lot. Most of it is retroactive, though, for the promos, intros, and shows I didn't ever actually see when they aired them but really think are neat and cool and wish I did. As for current Toonami, I think the effort they put into it is applaudable and I love their bumps, music videos, and trailers, so I'm fond of it even though few of the shows actually appeal to me and I barely watch it. Still, Toonami brought me a lot of great memories, some of those memories happen to not hold up to my present tastes, but even so it was responsible for getting me into anime, and I wouldn't be posting here if I never watched Dragon Ball. Still, there's one block I'm still much more fond of...

1. FUNimation Channel on Colours TV

I'm not going to say it was perfect, but it was a far better programming block than Toonami was back i watched them both (re: 2005-2008), since most of what they aired actually hold up! Just look at their schedule at it's peak:

Weekdays:

8:00 - Kodocha - Hilarious but capable of sweet drama as well. A fun show that I always got a kick out of, though my memory of it is hazy nowadays. A priority on my re-watch list.
8:30 - Fruits Basket - What is there to say? A well-crafted excellent romance and drama series.
9:00 - Case Closed - Incredibly entertaining and addicting mystery and detective series. There's a reason why this is still running in Japan, y'know.
9:30 - Spiral - Fun mystery and action show at the end of the day, even if it didn't have a good ending. Honestly my memory of it is in the same boat as Kodocha, so I'll need ot re-watch it some day.
10:00 - Dragon Ball - Classic, and as a HUGE DB fan I was ecstatic to be able to watch it every weekday at a good time like this.
10:30 - Yu Yu Hakusho - I never saw the show on Toonami, so it was Colors that introduced me to it. The first episode I watched was "Genbu the Stone Beast," and immediately I was hooked. The rest is history.
11:00 - Slayers - One of the best adventure anime ever created. It's a shame Colors never aired NEXT or TRY, but the original is a fucking blast and has limitless rerun value alone as it is. A definite classic I'm glad I was exposed to early on when I was starting to become a "fan" of anime.
11:30 - Negima - Okay...this show wasn't good, but hey those first 3.5/4 hours is still a pretty damn great lineup.

Weekends - Okay, I never watched much of the saturday lineup because of Toonami and whatnot, but I've heard good things about Baki, Kiddy Grade, and Blue Gender, and you can't go wrong with Lupin specials/movies.

8:00 - Movies, most commonly FUNi's Lupin the Third ones
10:00 - Baki the Grappler
10:30 - Kiddy Grade
11:00 - Blue Gender
11:30 - Tenchi Muyo GXP

I loved the weekday lineup. How diverse it was! A goofy comedy, a less goofy drama, two mystery series, two pure-fun adventure series, and an ass-kicking battle shonen...that was 3.5 hours of pure gold right there. And it was on every weekday. That was amazing. I didn't care that the shows reran so many times nor did the long runners air past the first 50 or so episodes (it's not like I could actually watch it everyday, anyways), it was a pleasure to watch whenever I sat down and I looked forward to it whenever I could watch it. The trailers and bumpers let out an aura of coolness that said (yes, you are watching this tonight, and it will be awesome), and oh my god do I have so many fond memories of all the trailers for FUNimation shows they played on there:  Black Cat, Galaxy Railways, Yu Yu Hakusho, FMA Conqueror of Shamballa, Mr. Stain, and so many others, lest I not forget that Radon warning commercial, those Star Wars video game commercials, and the He-Man dvd set commercials. Of all the programming blocks I watched as a kid, the FUNimation Channel has left me with the most fond memories, and the fact it introduced me to three of my favorite anime, two more I really enjoy, and aired one of my favorite animes at the time more than makes me fond of it after all these years.

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm...looking back, it's been six months since I last posted my favorite cartoon list, and it's changed a fair bit. Might as well update. I'm not divorcing anime from the list, so here's my top 20 animated series as of right now. (EDITED June 8th 2014)

1. South Park
2. Ashita no Joe 2
3. Maison Ikkoku
4. King of the Hill
5. American Dad
6. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
7. Trigun
8. The Simpsons
9. The Spectacular Spider-Man
10. Gargoyles
11. Futurama
12. Dragon Ball
13. Yu Yu Hakusho
14. Urusei Yatsura
15. Ranma 1/2
16. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
17. Batman: The Animated Series
18. Home Movies
19. Daria
20. Cowboy Bebop

For comparison, here's my list from six months back.

Quote15. Cowboy Bebop
14. Ranma 1/2
13. The Boondocks
12. One Piece
11. Monster
10. Yu Yu Hakusho
9. Dragonball
8. Maison Ikkoku
7. Futurama
6. American Dad
5. King of the Hill
4. The Simpsons
3. Trigun
2. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
1. South Park 

SP stays the same, of course, a lot of the stuff remains, but has moved around a bit. Gargoyles has gone way up from where it was previously, as the more I rewatch episodes and think about it, the more I find myself engrossed with it. I also finally finished Spectacular Spider-Man and suffice to say I damn loved it. Maison Ikkoku is yet another show that I'm increasingly more enamored with the more I rewatch episodes and reflect on it, and while Trigun is the same, I do think I like those other 8 series more than it if I were to compare. Similar deal with AD and Futurama (though my attachment to all these shows are neck in neck close honestly). AnJ2 has cemented its high place for many well-deserved reasons and is my favorite story I've seen in anime/manga to date. I've spoken much about why I love the UY anime, so I don't need to explain it's inclusion here now either. Monster and One Piece went out because the Monster anime is just a carbon-copy of the manga, so I took it out of my top ten anime list, and my opinion on the One Piece anime has lowered upon reflection of it's uneven quality past episode 206, so that's out.

Welp, that's my updated list. Wonder how it'll look in another six months. Probably'll be completely different, considering how inconsistent I am.  :P

gunswordfist

I miss Baki The Grappler on Colours TV.

Adding to Avaitor's list but in no order, I'd say [as] when I believe they had FMA, Big, Lupin and Case Closed on one lineup. Such a great amount of variety. Only one of those shows is in my top 5 but I love the diversity.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

That's a cool list, CartoonX! I never got to experience the Funimation channel, but that looks like a nice, diverse lineup, like Toonami at its peak.

I did still watch the later Kids WB! block myself as well. I don't think I really stopped watching until I grew tired of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, around 2003-ish, actually. But I remember not being as hot on Fox Kids, probably because I was a little too young to have seen or remembered it at its peak. I definitely did watch Power Rangers, but I associate Batman, Tiny Toons, and Animaniacs more with their runs on other networks or video tapes as opposed to Fox. So my Saturday morning recollections go back to Kids WB! I always did change over to Fox when Digimon was on, though.

I also watched Fridays, which was... okay. Tommy, Tara, and the other lady were okay hosts, but I mostly watched for the shows. Which is obviously why I like these lineups so much, but I still give credit to CCF for its cartoon hosts. I also just usually preferred the CCF lineup. With Fridays I'd bow out when they'd put on Puffy or Atomic Betty or Lazlo, but with CCF, I sat through the whole thing, even KND. The only time I turned the TV is when they'd show the premieres that just aired again. Everything else was mandatory to me, including the repeats.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Shadow Gentleman

Here's my overall favorites at the moment:

20. Freakazoid!
19. The Big O
18. Neon Genesis Evangelion
17. Rocko's Modern Life
16. Gargoyles
15. Courage: The Cowardly Dog
14. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
13. Archer
12. Megas XLR
11. Gurren Lagann
10. GTO
9. Yu Yu Hakusho
8. The Spectacular Spider-man
7. Cowboy Bebop
6. Futurama
5. King of the Hill
4. Spongebob Squarepants (season 1-3 + movie)
3. Ed, Edd, n Eddy
2. Trigun
1. Batman: The Animated Series

edit: Somehow forgot Brave and the Bold and Archer.

Avaitor

I really need to watch Trigun again.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Same here.

On another note, I have trouble combining my cartoon and my anime lists.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I don't even think that I can combine comedy and action/drama series together anymore.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Not one list with TB&TB...  :imnothappy:

Good picks overall, though.

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 06:02:48 PM
I really need to watch Trigun again.
I just finished rewatching. It remains my favorite.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton