Your Top Favorite Animated Shows

Started by talonmalon333, October 01, 2012, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 28, 2014, 06:42:30 PM
Not one list with TB&TB...  :imnothappy:
Shiiiiiiiiit, I knew I forgot something. Let me fix that.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 06:08:29 PM
I don't even think that I can combine comedy and action/drama series together anymore.
Hmm, my favorite anime series almost being entirely action based is what probably makes that so easy for me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 06:46:05 PMIt'd likely make my top 20. :)
What would your top 20 look like?

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on March 28, 2014, 06:56:49 PM
Shiiiiiiiiit, I knew I forgot something. Let me fix that.
:thumbup:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 28, 2014, 07:18:11 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 06:46:05 PMIt'd likely make my top 20. :)
What would your top 20 look like?
Not that much anime, but a pretty eclectic mix I'd think. You can probably guess based on what I talk about, but I couldn't think to rank a full list right now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 12:23:51 PM
That's a cool list, CartoonX! I never got to experience the Funimation channel, but that looks like a nice, diverse lineup, like Toonami at its peak.

I did still watch the later Kids WB! block myself as well. I don't think I really stopped watching until I grew tired of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, around 2003-ish, actually. But I remember not being as hot on Fox Kids, probably because I was a little too young to have seen or remembered it at its peak. I definitely did watch Power Rangers, but I associate Batman, Tiny Toons, and Animaniacs more with their runs on other networks or video tapes as opposed to Fox. So my Saturday morning recollections go back to Kids WB! I always did change over to Fox when Digimon was on, though.

I also watched Fridays, which was... okay. Tommy, Tara, and the other lady were okay hosts, but I mostly watched for the shows. Which is obviously why I like these lineups so much, but I still give credit to CCF for its cartoon hosts. I also just usually preferred the CCF lineup. With Fridays I'd bow out when they'd put on Puffy or Atomic Betty or Lazlo, but with CCF, I sat through the whole thing, even KND. The only time I turned the TV is when they'd show the premieres that just aired again. Everything else was mandatory to me, including the repeats.

Thanks.  :)

I didn't watch much of Fox Kids either, actually. By the time I was watching Kids WB, Fox Kids was already past it's prime I think, and not many of the shows really grabbed me over watching Kids WB instead. I did like Kirby, Right Back At Ya! I suppose, though I'm not sure if that show'd hold up for me know.

And yeah, the Fridays lineup was no where near as good as Cartoon Cartoon Fridays'. I honestly can't say I think it'd hold up for me if I were to watch it now, since I don't care much for the CN shows from the 2004-2008 era these days (with the exception of Duck Dodgers and Billy and Mandy, but the latter series was around albeit as Grim and Evil since 2001 anyway). Still, as a kid I enjoyed it and it left me with some good memories, which is why I'm still fond of it. But, even then, I don't think I watched through the whole block nearly as much as I did CCF, and that's probably because I liked the shows CCF aired a lot more to be willing to watch reruns (plus, I was always excited to see which one of my favorite characters would be hosting each week  :D ).

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 28, 2014, 04:41:17 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on March 28, 2014, 02:03:10 AM3. Ashita no Joe 2

:swoon:

Was there any doubt I'd love it so? ;) To be honest, the gap between it and Maison Ikkoku is extremely close, but that just goes to show how greatly I love the both of them.    :)

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on March 28, 2014, 05:45:36 PM
Here's my overall favorites at the moment:

20. Freakazoid!
19. The Big O
18. Neon Genesis Evangelion
17. Rocko's Modern Life
16. Gargoyles
15. Courage: The Cowardly Dog
14. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
13. Archer
12. Megas XLR
11. Gurren Lagann
10. GTO
9. Yu Yu Hakusho
8. The Spectacular Spider-man
7. Cowboy Bebop
6. Futurama
5. King of the Hill
4. Spongebob Squarepants (season 1-3 + movie)
3. Ed, Edd, n Eddy
2. Trigun
1. Batman: The Animated Series

edit: Somehow forgot Brave and the Bold and Archer.

Great list!   :thumbup:

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 28, 2014, 06:07:45 PM

On another note, I have trouble combining my cartoon and my anime lists.

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 06:08:29 PM
I don't even think that I can combine comedy and action/drama series together anymore.

Well, I think how much you like a show compared to another show is gaugeable in how much you revisit it, find yourself thinking about it, how much you get out of it, etc. In those respects, I find it fairly easy to compare the anime and western cartoons and the comedy and action series I like  and put together a list, though admittedly, my problem is that my opinions of a lot of shows swing back and forth all the time, and I can go into periods of obsession and periods of avoidance depending on different factors, which is why my lists sometimes change radically in such short amounts of time. That's why I'm trying to limit myself to only top 10's or 15's, since anything beyond that gets too volatile, and I like so many shows and movies and stuff that it gets to a point where it's meaningless to try and list them all.  :sweat:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 28, 2014, 06:42:30 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 06:02:48 PM
I really need to watch Trigun again.
I just finished rewatching. It remains my favorite.

:thumbup:

Avaitor

Fridays was definitely better than Fried Dynamite. I actually did watch that shit for Eds, Grim, and Foster's (and depending on the episode, Class of 3000. Yes, I liked it. Kind of), but wow, the wraparounds were awful, and it wasn't worth sitting around for Lazlo and Gym Partner.

It kind of sucks that Nick didn't have a decently long-running, solid cartoon block. I know that when their first few Nicktoons started out, they aired together, but I don't believe that was meant to be anything special. I do remember a Friday night block that was supposed to compete with CCF in the early 00's, but that was mostly KC junk that I wasn't hot on to begin with.

And I know that I'm cheating with the Disney Afternoon, since I was too young to really remember seeing it (I wasn't even alive for the first season of it, which is one of my favorites!), but it just looks like a great block and I like a lot of the shows, so I counted it.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Oh god, I hated Fried Dynamite. It's bumps were obnoxious. I don't think I watched it much, outside of the Cartoon Network Invaded event. I pretty much just stuck with FUNi until that block ended in May 2008.

As for Nick, I remember Friday Night Nicktoons, but that wasn't very special in terms of packaging. After that, I remember finding U-Pick Live! pretty fun, but that wasn't exclusively a cartoon block.

I never saw any of the Disney Afternoon, so even though I enjoy many of the shows that aired on it and came out on it, I couldn't really consider it a favorite block of mine. I'm sorry I missed out, since it certainly must have been a fun experience.

gunswordfist

What's Fried Dynamite?

I remember Teen Titans being the only other new cartoon I liked when Duck Dodgers had new episodes.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 28, 2014, 11:45:57 PMAnd I know that I'm cheating with the Disney Afternoon, since I was too young to really remember seeing it (I wasn't even alive for the first season of it, which is one of my favorites!), but it just looks like a great block and I like a lot of the shows, so I counted it.
I barely remember the first season (and I mean barely) but I remember it being fairly similar to the following few seasons (sans Gummi Bears, of course) so it was great.

And yes, that would be my favorite block.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Well I mean of 4 shows put together, the 1990-1991 season looks like a particularly strong lineup. So does 91-92, and 94-95. Really, I would've liked it all until the mid 90's hit, but I might've skipped out on Rescue Rangers or Aladdin depending on the episodes that were on.

Oh, and Schnookums and Meat too. ;)

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I remember just kinda zoning out when some shows came on. That was the time for homework.  ;)

LumRanmaYasha

My favorite animated films list, updated:

1. Persepolis
2. Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
3. Sita Sings the Blues
4. The Nightmare Before Christmas
5. Up
6. Urusei Yatsura 4: Lum the Forever
7. The Wind Rises
8. Toy Story 2
9. Summer Wars
10. The Lion King

talonmalon333

Good lists, guys. I'll try to post mine as well (in the Favorites thread).

1. Fantasia
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. The Lion King
4. Toy Story Trilogy (All these movies would go on this list, and probably all back to back, so I'm grouping them as to avoid cluttering.)
5. Pinocchio
6. Grave of the Fireflies
7. Bambi
8. Up
9. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
10. WALL-E

Clearly a Disney fan.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not sure if I could properly make a list, but #1 for me would definitely be Up. Everything I enjoy about great storytelling is in that one and, in my opinion, is Pixar's peak so far.