Beat 'Em Ups

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 28, 2010, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

That "game" was made by Satan himself. I thought the turbo tunnel was bad enough, but apparently the stuff that comes after it is far worse. This video is both hilarious and mortifying.

Spark Of Spirit

This is probably the only game in the world where playing 2 players is harder than playing alone.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Dalek

I litterally do not believe there is a way to beat Battletoads (especially not with two players) without the use of save states or cheat codes. Can't be done.

EDIT: And Michael24, as well as being a tasteless shithead, is a dirty fucking liar.

Kiddington

I could second that; I've never beaten it. Never even come close for that matter.

...of course, I basically packed it in and gave up years ago. My sanity comes first, obviously.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on February 09, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
EDIT: And Michael24, as well as being a tasteless shithead, is a dirty fucking liar.

:srs:

Spark Of Spirit

I made it up to the snake part and I just gave up. It's not that it was hard, it was just frustrating part after frustrating part. After  got to the snake I was just wondering why I wasn't instead playing something fun with my time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I just got done getting Violent Storm to work and Growl, Golden Axe Revenge Of Death Adder (and Metal Slug 5) before that. I finally got around to that after being encouraged by stumbling apon an article about Growl's final boss. :o
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

QuoteMuch like with Contra, I was surprised years later to read about peoples' frustration with Battletoads, to the point of declaring it one of the most aggravating games ever to play. I'm sure my first few plays weren't great, but once I got it down it was a game I was able to beat regularly.
I believe him about Contra because, you know, that game's actually fair. Battletoads? He's talking out of his ass on that one.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I watched that whole play-through up the last video which got uploaded yesterday (glad to see that ProtonJon won, if only because he's the only LP'er that I've ever bothered watching....because he did the NES Ninja Gaiden games :> ), and it was aggravating just to sit and watch how long it took any given player to get past just 1 single room.

Lord Dalek

Contra has the Konami code, Battletoads doesn't give you shit.

Kiddington

As far as Mike goes, I might be able to believe him if he said "beat once". Ok, so maybe he got lucky; it happens. I'm sure there are people that have beaten it by themselves, as few and far between as they are.

...but he's actually claiming that he could just pop in Battletoads at any time he wants, and beat it like nothing. I mean, seriously; give me a break. That has to be one of the most ridiculous, outright bald-faced lies I have ever heard.

Who exactly is he trying to impress here anyway?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on February 09, 2012, 02:09:30 PM
QuoteMuch like with Contra, I was surprised years later to read about peoples' frustration with Battletoads, to the point of declaring it one of the most aggravating games ever to play. I'm sure my first few plays weren't great, but once I got it down it was a game I was able to beat regularly.
I believe him about Contra because, you know, that game's actually fair. Battletoads? He's talking out of his ass on that one.
That guy from Seven Days couldn't beat Battletoads on the first few tries. This guy's fucking lying.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Unless you live and breath that game 24 hours a day, there's no way you can just pop it in and beat it. All it takes is one screw up and you're dead. The game has no margin for error.

Contra at least has the Spread Gun and the Konami code to cushion you.

Lord Dalek

My only thought is what he's talking about is Battletoads in Ragnarok's World (aka the game boy version) which doesn't come close to the NES difficulty.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Does anyone have any good beat-em-up recommendations of games available on either the SNES' or Sega Genesis' respective gaming libraries? I mean besides just the obvious ones like Turtles in Time or Streets of Rage. Possibly something somewhat obscure but still great.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 14, 2012, 08:48:02 PM
Does anyone have any good beat-em-up recommendations of games available on either the SNES' or Sega Genesis' respective gaming libraries? I mean besides just the obvious ones like Turtles in Time or Streets of Rage. Possibly something somewhat obscure but still great.

I'm not sure if it's really obvious or not, but have you played Golden Axe?