JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 14, 2012, 02:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I, of course, really like Phantom Blood. Well, mostly the first half, while I think the 2nd half is alright. I actually like the first half more than most of Battle Tendency.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

While Phantom Blood is my least favorite part of JoJo, I still really enjoy it.  I feel that it still has some great moments and is important within the overarching story arc of the original timeline.  From what I've seen, Phantom Blood is fairly well-received by people.  Honestly, I've seen a more mixed reception for Part 5: Vento Aureo (which I personally think is still very good despite its faults).

Dr. Insomniac

I see Phantom Blood the same way I see other first seasons of things I like, appreciating its own fine points while looking into the moments that lead to better things in later parts. Plus, it has Speedwagon.

Spark Of Spirit

Because I'm bored.

Suggestions for ED song 4:

Choice #1 (the title and the lyrics, come on)
Choice #2
Choice #3
Choice #4

Of course I'm probably way off, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

I'm not sure what I want for the next ED song, but I really hope that they use a Queen song for the ED of the second half of Part IV.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: VLordGTZ on January 06, 2016, 09:54:40 PM
I'm not sure what I want for the next ED song, but I really hope that they use a Queen song for the ED of the second half of Part IV.
I totally forgot about Queen. Personally I'd pick Seven Seas of Rhye for being their best song, though wouldn't turn down anything else like Don't Stop Me Now, A Kind of Magic, or Hammer To Fall would be particularly great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I've had this opinion for a while now, but IMO, Jotaro Kujo is a pretty weak lead. Stardust Crusaders works almost entirely thanks to having a great supporting cast, which is one thing that it does better than previous parts in the series (Joseph, Avdol, Kakyoin, Polnareff, and Iggy all make the series for me). However, my issue with Jotaro in particular is that he's not all that interesting to see as the main driving force of the story. For one thing, his personality only ranges from playing it cool to occasionally getting pissed off. And he rarely ever loses his cool to begin with. His fights with Steely Dan and Dio are among the very few instances in which he gets legitimately pissed off in a way that actually makes me root for him. I also personally find his Stand and combat style to be the most overpowered and least interesting of all six Stardust Crusaders (FTR, The Fool is my personal favorite Stand ability of the team).

I probably made it sound like I hate the character, but that's not actually the case. I simply just don't find him that endearing to follow like I do with Joseph or Josuke, or even Jonothan for that matter. I feel like he works better as a supporting act than as the leading man, and Diamond is Unbreakable pretty much proves my point in that regard. I like him much better as an ally to Josuke than as the team leader.

And yeah, I get that he's yhe most iconic JoJo, but most iconic doesn't necessarily mean the best.

Spark Of Spirit

I've only seen the first three parts (and read a bit of the third back in the day) but I would be inclined to agree.

Jonathan is a great lead for Part 1's more serious tone and how he grows from a pathetic weakling into a strong gentleman and Joseph is extremely clever and hilarious on top of it (not a fan of how they toned him and Hamon down for Part 3, though) but they never felt outshined by their allies. Speedwagon was funny as a narrator in Part 1 and Zeppeli was a great mentor character as well, just as Caesar and Lisa Lisa are indispensable for Part 2 while never blocking out Jonathan or Joseph from being the main characters.

In Part 3, despite being really tough, Jotaro is not as exciting to watch as Jonathan or as enjoyable as Joseph but that's not all. He's not as funny as Joseph, or as cool as Kakyoin, or as in control as Avdol, or as awesome as Polnareff, at any point in the story. He even gets outshined by Dio who didn't even outshine Jonathan (who many consider the blandest character in the series) back in Part 1. Everyone else in the cast is just so much more fun to be around.

Of course, I don't hate him. He's not a bad guy and his fights are fun to watch, but of the main leads he is my least favorite by far.

But I've also heard he works better in Part IV, so we'll see.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Most people (including myself) seem to have a beef with how nerfed Joseph is in Stardust Crusaders. It's not that he needs to be more powerful, but rather he should be just as clever as before, in addition to having an heir of wisdom due to all of his experiences. It'd be great if he could win a few battles with his wits. For example, he should have been the one to defeat D'arby The Gambler. Also, it would have been great for him to bring out the clankers on Dio and score at least one clean hit on him by using it as a Hamon-infused boomerang.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm also a bit disappointed about a spoiler regarding him in Part IV, though I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.

Poor Joseph is just not given a break by Araki.

gunswordfist

I thought Lisa Lisa wasn't used well towards the end of Battle Tendency (post Caesar Vs. Wamuu) She did a lot of standing around watching Joseph and was straight up a damsel in distress at the end. What a waste.

I don't see why people like Kakyoin that much. Outside of Death 13, The Lovers and Dio, he wasn't too helpful and he didn't do much of anything cool except for look cool. He also didn't do much of anything of substance until the end, just like Jotaro, except Jotaro is much cooler, has a lot more personality and Kakyoin never made me laugh. Polnareff and Joseph were the funniest, while Avdol, who is also much better than Kakyoin, had his return be more humorous than anything Noriaki has ever done. Kakyoin did suffer from Jotaro camera hogging but by no means is he a better character anywhere.

VLordGTZ

I felt that Jotaro became a much more developed and likable character in Parts 4 and 6.  He's not on the same level as Johnny Joestar (who I feel is easily the best JoJo in the entire series so far), but I'd say Jotaro is probably my 3rd favorite JoJo.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2016, 08:12:42 PM
I'm also a bit disappointed about a spoiler regarding him in Part IV, though I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but Joseph really isn't all that involved Part IV.   He has a major role in 2 or 3 stories in DiU, but he's a background character for the most part.

Spark Of Spirit

Kakyoin is all kinds of awesome in the fight against Hanged Man and the Emperor.

Quote from: VLordGTZ on January 27, 2016, 08:34:27 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2016, 08:12:42 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but Joseph really isn't all that involved Part IV.   He has a major role in 2 or 3 stories in DiU, but he's a background character for the most part.
Don't read this if you haven't read Part IV:

Spoiler
I'm talking about him cheating on his wife. That's not something I could see Part II or III Joseph doing.
[close]

gunswordfist

Oh right, he did help beat Hanged Man.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2016, 08:39:01 PM
Don't read this if you haven't read Part IV:
Spoiler
I'm talking about him cheating on his wife. That's not something I could see Part II or III Joseph doing.
[close]
Oh, that.  :sweat:
Spoiler
Personally, that didn't really bother me too much.  They don't go into much detail about the affair, but it sounded like it was more of a lapse of judgment on Joseph's part and he does seem genuinely regretful about it.
[close]