JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, October 14, 2012, 02:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

Viz has licensed the anime!

Right now, they can only talk about streaming, but hopefully this means that we'll get a dub for Part 3 and a blu-ray release for Parts 1 and 2.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Seeing as how a bunch of other shows owned by Viz still stream on CR, I don't anticipate too much trouble for them being able to stream season four.

Markness

Quote from: VLordGTZ on March 19, 2016, 06:39:38 PM
Viz has licensed the anime!

Right now, they can only talk about streaming, but hopefully this means that we'll get a dub for Part 3 and a blu-ray release for Parts 1 and 2.

Good!  :e_hail: :h_hail: :el_hail: Makes me glad I passed on Warner's underwhelming and poor excuse of a boxset. It's really a good year to be a JoJo's fan in the West.

VLordGTZ

Yeah, I bought WB's set, so it looks like I'll be buying that season again when Viz's release comes out.  :sweat:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 21, 2016, 05:42:07 PM
I'm hoping Crunchyroll still gets Part 4.
Crunchyroll seems to only have trouble streaming Funimation shows since Funi gets exclusive US streaming rights to most of their licensed series.  Most other shows are fair game for them to stream, so I don't think Viz having JoJo will be an issue.

Markness

Quote from: VLordGTZ on March 22, 2016, 09:20:35 AM
Yeah, I bought WB's set, so it looks like I'll be buying that season again when Viz's release comes out.  :sweat:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 21, 2016, 05:42:07 PM
I'm hoping Crunchyroll still gets Part 4.
Crunchyroll seems to only have trouble streaming Funimation shows since Funi gets exclusive US streaming rights to most of their licensed series.  Most other shows are fair game for them to stream, so I don't think Viz having JoJo will be an issue.

Is it really as bad as so many reviews say? The amount of bad reviews kept me from getting it. I was torn between wanting to support JoJo's but not supporting bad products. I did buy Viz's release of the manga, though. Some didn't like Viz's translation of Part 3 but I still got it since the copyright issues were understandable, Jason Thompson is a true JoJo's fanatic, and I'd rather read physical copies than online unless I have no other choice.

VLordGTZ

While not completely terrible, the WB's release is pretty bad compared to your average modern-day anime release.  Packaging and menus aside, I think the biggest problem for people with it is that the DVD seems intended to only be viewed with the english dub (which is still really good) since it lacks a proper subtitle track (the one it has is a closed caption "dubtitle" track).  I think WB was trying to make a set that appealed more towards casual consumers, but it ended up backfiring since the set was below the standards expected of an anime release.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Funny enough, Hulu exclusivity would have benefited me this time. :D My brother still hasn't renewed CR.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

I don't really have any problems with Hulu since I live in the US, but I only have Funimation Now and Crunchy subscriptions so I prefer when stuff comes to those services instead.

Spark Of Spirit

You manga readers will have to tell me if this is good or not, but Part 4 will be 39 episodes. Same length as Ushio & Tora.

VLordGTZ

DiU is the second longest part in JoJo (the longest part being Steel Ball Run), but I'm not too concerned about this.  I think David Pro decided to adapt Stardust Crusaders at a more slower pace since it's the most popular part among general audiences.  If they return to the pacing that they had with Battle Tendency, they should be able to adapt it fine in only three cours.

Spark Of Spirit

I was hoping that was the case since I much preferred the pacing in the first 2 parts to SC. Though I suppose it might also set the standard for future adaptions of the series meaning no other part might go beyond two or three cours.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

DiU is 174 chapters in total, which is almost exactly as long as Yu Yu Hakusho (175 chapters) and Bakuman (176 chapters). Granted, it has less dialogue and more action than either of those series, but it's still pretty damn long. That said, it's still a villain of the week series like SC, so a lot of filler can be cut out, but it's a tad disappointing that some of my favorite fights might potentially not get adapted.