Greatest Anime Series (Voting)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2012, 08:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 10, 2013, 07:56:15 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:55:34 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 10, 2013, 07:52:20 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 07:49:26 PM
Because I don't like deconstructionist stories and I enjoy the canon story of Sailor Moon better.

Madoka Magica isn't deconstructionist. I don't care for deconstructionist stories myself, so I could tell you if it really was one. Its just a magical girl anime that has a darker take on the aspects of the genre.
I know, I'm just sayin'. I'm not a big fan of that sort of thing, though I do admit I think it does it better than, say, Naru Taru. But it's not a style I like.
And you're saying that about a show you haven't seen?
How do you know I didn't see it? Maybe I watched a few episodes, didn't like it, and turned it off.

I didn't finish reading Naru Taru either, does that mean I can't not like it?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Careful, Dr. Insomniac. That's what I was talking about earlier. I know you love Madoka Magica, but you mustn't forget that other people are allowed to have opinions too. :>

And this is coming from someone who genuinely liked the series.

But I will say that I don't think I view the series in the same vein as Desensitized does. I watched the whole thing and didn't seem like it was meant to be be all down and depressing of a series. It just had a darker take on the genre and came with its own set of morals, namely:

Spoiler
how teenage girls shouldn't blindly trust a magical creature that comes to them with promises of wishes and fantastic magical powers, and also how they shouldn't jump into big decisions blindly as it could ruin their lives. Also, they have to make sure to ask for details such as if making a contract with said magical creature would cause them to have their souls removed from their body and put into external gems. I find it to be very informative stuff, myself. :thumbup:
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I mean I read it up and I know everything that happens because I was curious to see what the fuss was about- but it's not something I actually enjoy reading or watching regardless of how well it's done. Which is more of what I use to judge things on.

I never said it was bad or terrible, I said it's not something I'm into.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 08:12:07 PM
Yeah, I mean I read it up and I know everything that happens because I was curious to see what the fuss was about- but it's not something I actually enjoy reading or watching regardless of how well it's done. Which is more of what I use to judge things on.

Wait, by read do you mean that you read the manga adaptation of the anime or did you just read a summary of the show to see what it was like?

If its the latter, then THAT I cannot agree with. There are a lot of shows where that method would do them no justice at all.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 10, 2013, 08:19:16 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 08:12:07 PM

Wait, by read do you mean that you read the manga adaptation of the anime or did you just read a summary of the show to see what it was like?

If its the latter, then THAT I cannot agree with. There are a lot of shows where that method would do them no justice at all.
I watched a few episodes, didn't like it, then read the plot to see what would happen for when a fan would inevitably call me an idiot for not watching the whole thing to disqualify be from being able to have an opinion on it.

I tend to do that with any series I start to watch and don't like, because I'm not going to force myself to watch hours of something I won't enjoy because I dislike being bullied out of having an opinion.

Again, I never even judged this show on quality, so I don't see the problem. I don't like it better than Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, or 0080, but at least I said why.

I'm tired of talking abut this, though. Is this round almost done?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 10, 2013, 08:24:30 PM
Everybody has opinions: I have them, you have them. And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that's horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it's nothing. It's just bibble-babble. It's like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks.

Well, I had assumed that Desensitized actually tried a few episodes of the series or the manga adaptation or even one of the movies when he stated that he didn't like this kind of series. Of course I'd expect someone to have seen or read at least a small bit of what they are basing their opinion off of. He says he did so that's good enough for me.

Anyways, your post brings up another issue that I just remembered. Dr. Insomniac, has anyone told you that you take this stuff WAY, WAY too seriously? :humhumhum:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 08:26:09 PM
I watched a few episodes, didn't like it

You could've just stopped there. I only wanted to make sure that you tried a bit of it to base your opinion off of. I don't really care either way whether you liked it or not. I just don't agree with having an opinion on a series without checking out some of that series at all.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 10, 2013, 08:32:30 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 08:26:09 PM
I watched a few episodes, didn't like it

You could've just stopped there. I only wanted to make sure that you tried a bit of it to base your opinion off of. I don't really care either way whether you liked it or not. I just don't agree with having an opinion on a series without checking out some of that series at all.
Well according to some people, that's not good enough.  :-\

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 10, 2013, 08:34:51 PM
Well according to some people, that's not good enough.  :-\

Its OK to ignore people every once in a while. Hell, I ignore GSF's dumb-ass opinions all the time, so I can tell you firsthand that its easy to ignore people when you disagree with them. :>

Spoiler
And in case anyone might be too dense, I'm just joking, here.
[close]

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK..............

I think that one thing we can ALL agree on is that its in everyone's best interest for me to end this match and move on ASAP. Just give me a few minutes to tally up the vote and we'll be continuing with the next match.

Remember, we're here to have fun and just see which of the favorite series among our user-base is the most popular among us.

Getting into all of this serious debate on opinions and whatnot is meant for the regular threads, people. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket- 24
Puella Magi Madoka Magica- 20
Outlaw Star- 16
Sailor Moon- 10

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket and Puella Magi Madoka Magica move onto the next round.

Round 2, Match 6:

Monster

vs.

Cowboy Bebop

vs.

Digimon Tamers

vs.

Lupin the 3rd

My Picks:

SHIT! This round is tough for me since I really like all of these series. I'll actually have to take it seriously.

Digimon Tamers (Because I'm sure everyone else will down-vote it)
Monster (It blatantly rips-off the manga without adding anything of its own, but its a damn good thing I love the manga so much)
Cowboy Bebop (Because I'm sure that everyone else will up-vote it)
Lupin the 3rd (Because as much as I love it, its the only one of these that I haven't seen in its entirety)

Rynnec

Cowboy Bebop
Digimon Tamers
Monster
Lupin the III

Spark Of Spirit

Oh man... gonna have to think on this.