Devil May Cry Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 06, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, after giving it a good deal of thought here are my rankings for the series as a whole so far (assume the most up to date special edition for any games which it applies to):

6. Devil May Cry 2
5. DmC: Devil May Cry
4. Devil May Cry 4
3. Devil May Cry
2. Devil May Cry 5
1. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

Despite being a huge DMC fan, I'd say that 3 and 5 are the only ones that hold up as genuinely great games despite my bias for the genre. I still like the original and 4, but the former does show it's age in a number of ways that really date it, while the latter forces me to put up with a lot of bull-shit to actually enjoy it. And for what it is, DmC is an alright action game in terms of just mechanics, but while I don't tend to care toi much about bad stories, DmC's is a level of atrocious that makes me not enjoy playing as any of those characters.

As for 3 and 5, it's kind of odd. I actually think that 5 is a better designed game, overall, but 3 is just more satisfying to me. That's not to say that I don't love 5 for what it is, nor that 3 is flawless by any means, but the things that 3 does well gives it a bit of an edge over what 5 does really well, at least for what personally matters to me. For example, I think that 5 (and even 4, for that matter), generally has better enemy design (in terms of AI and patterns) than 3 does, but the shitty enemy types in 3 aren't forced down your throat too much, and it still has plenty of memorable ones. That said, the boss fights in DMC3 absolutely trounce most of the ones from 5, which are kind of a disappointment for a DMC game. I also like the color-palette and aesthetic character and environment designs of 3 much better than 5, and this is perhaps the only DMC game where I actually find the story to be engaging on any level.

Obviously I find a lot to like about both games regardless, but I think at least for now 3 will remain my all time favorite of the series.