The JesuOtaku Thread

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 29, 2010, 04:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Seriously though, don't judge Escaflowne on the movie. It is well known that all movies that condense whole anime are typically very shitty in how rushed they are. This is really no exception.

Though it isn't quite as lousy as X is.

Quote from: Foggle on January 03, 2011, 06:56:40 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on January 03, 2011, 06:53:56 PM
By the way, Inuyasha lifts the basic concept from Escaflowne but is pretty much inferior in literally every aspect. I'm surprised more people never called it out on that, but people always seem to overlook Rumiko's flaws in storytelling despite the fact that everything since Ranma has been uninspired and hacky.
Has there even been anything since Ranma aside from Inuyasha? That shit goes on forever.
QuoteRin-ne revolves around Sakura Mamiya, a high school girl who became able to see ghosts after she was "spirited away" for a week when she was a child, though she does not remember the details of the experience. Once in high school, Sakura wishes to be rid of her extrasensory perception, which is an annoyance to her. She meets a shinigami of sorts named Rinne Rokudo, a classmate of hers who was absent for the first month or so of school. His job is to guide spirits, whose regrets bind them to Earth, to the wheel of reincarnation so that they may be reborn. The wheel appears as a large red, spoked wheel revolving in the sky.

It looks like this:

Is there anything else I need to say?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 03, 2011, 07:05:11 PM
Seriously though, don't judge Escaflowne on the movie. It is well known that all movies that condense whole anime are typically very shitty in how rushed they are. This is really no exception.
Yeah, my friend said the same thing. I've been meaning to watch the show for awhile now.

QuoteIt looks like this:
Oh, good lord. :whuh:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ouran isn't the type of show that should be compared to Fruits Basket as the same type of shoujo. Its the type of show that makes fun of shows like Fruits Basket, as well as all other shoujo, while still retaining elements of shoujo itself.

Spark Of Spirit

I know, but if I was making a list of top 25 shows, I would not list Ouran is a better show in quality than Fruits Basket. It would easily be the highest ranking shoujo on my list.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, that's fine. Personally I couldn't get into either the Fruits Basket manga or anime, its just not my cup of tea, but I can respect it for probably being one of the better shoujo series (though, I can't really say that I would know since admittedly I don't really watch too much shoujo). I still find Ouran to be more entertaining and more to my liking, but not as a shoujo, though, but as a genuine comedy anime.

BTW, Am I the only one who didn't even like Ranma 1/2, which even a lot of IY haters give praise to? IDK, but nothing that I've ever read (and consequently seen in anime form) by Rumiko Takahashi has ever entertained me. They aren't nearly the worst series that I have ever seen, but they are pretty badly done overall, IMO. That said, I basically really only have seen enough of Ranma and IY to know that I dislike them, personally, but I highly doubt that any of her other works would really change my mind.

Avaitor

I think Ranma was fun at first, but like IY, it really drags on. It did not need to last as long as it did.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Ranma is an overlong sitcom dragged out for absolutely no reason. I actually like her pre-Ranma work, but with Ranma she basically started making the same thing over and over. As Inuyasha and her new manga clearly tell us, she has no inspiration left.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 03, 2011, 08:15:00 PM
Ranma is an overlong sitcom dragged out for absolutely no reason. I actually like her pre-Ranma work, but with Ranma she basically started making the same thing over and over. As Inuyasha and her new manga clearly tell us, she has no inspiration left.
Fuck, I thought Ranma was her first manga!

I completely agree with E-K's opinion on her works, btw.

Avaitor

Funny thing is, she continues to sell over in Japan.

She's still the richest female there, and one of the five richest people there in general.

It seems like Takahashi isn't anywhere near as popular here though, at least not as much. IY's fanbase has all but gone away in the states, and Ranma has went from a gateway title to a series almost no one talks about, and it's not too common to see an average anime fan talk about another work of hers.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 03, 2011, 08:17:02 PMFuck, I thought Ranma was her first manga!
Most people do, which is a shame. All her pre-Ranma stuff is actually very creative and well written for the most part. Maison Ikkoku is wonderful and an excellent romance, Urusei Yatsura despite being overlong is a wonderfully imaginative shonen, and her short mangas up to One Pound Gospel are all really interesting reads.

Then she made Ranma and that was pretty much it.

I honestly don't know why there isn't more talk of her pre-Ranma material. It's considerably better. Almost like if some thought Buso Renkin was Watsuki's first work. I'm not exaggerating, either.

Spark Of Spirit

I mean, not to say anyone here would enjoy those works, but they clearly had a lot more effort and heart put into them than anything she has done since Ranma. There is a clear dip in quality that anyone who has read her past works would quickly notice.

Avaitor

That's fair.

I'm not familiar with her pre-Ranma work, but I'm sure they're loads better than Ranma or IY.

New blog!

Angus

I still enjoyed the Ranma 1/2 manga even if it's like the Gilligan's Island of manga and anime when most shows these days are more like Lost.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

New review is up- Chobits.

Not done with it yet, but it doesn't seem all that appealing to me currently.

Done. Looks not as awful as I would believe, but I don't think I will watch it anytime soon.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

No one here except Angus would probably like it.