Most Anticipated Movies

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 14, 2013, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought that both Star Treks were just OK. I didn't hate the second one as much as everyone else, but keep in mind that I still haven't seen Wrath of Khan yet, and the people who hated it were big fans of that film. That said, neither film is anywhere close to being great, and certainly not on Star Wars levels of excellence. As for everything else that he's done that I've seen, I'm just not a fan with the exception of Super 8, which is pretty good, IMO, but all that proves is that he can do a good E.T. movie. It says nothing about his ability to direct a good Star Wars film.

Avaitor

I don't want to give the Star Wars franchise my money anymore, tbh (although I very likely will if and when that unaltered trilogy set comes out). Even if it ends up being good, I really doubt that I'll see it in theaters.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I don't want anything newer than the Force Unleashed II.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

It seems a bit mean to use the prequel trilogy as a reason for why a movie written and directed by an entirely different crew will suck though. I mean, it's by the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3. And the "here's why the prequels suck" explanations have been shared so many times that Abrams probably has most of that in mind when making the movies anyway.

Rynnec

And even with the prequels in mind, it's not like we still didn't get some great things from the PT.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on October 17, 2014, 01:11:32 AM
And even with the prequels in mind, it's not like we still didn't get some great things from the PT.

Dr. Insomniac

Huh. So Revan is the main villain. Didn't expect that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The only real question is, who's Revan is it?

Foggle

The new film by my favorite director looks fucking great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZW6jGDCemo

talonmalon333

So they recently released teasers for the next Star Wars and Jurassic Park films. Did anyone see them?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The teaser for Star Wars has in fact NOT been released yet, or at least not officially. If there are any leaks, I'm unaware of them. The trailer will officially be released on Friday exclusively to select theaters, so it won't appear online for at least a few more days.

As for Jurassic World, the trailer has been released for 2 days now, and....it looks AWFUL! I'm not joking, and I don't say this kind of stuff lightly, but nothing about that trailer felt right to me. I mean, OK, they have a fully functional park, so I'm assuming that this is a reboot because it wouldn't make any fucking sense in the original continuity after all of the shit that went wrong with that idea in the old movies. That set-up in and of itself is fine, and I don't want just another rehash of the first movie, anyways. Having said that, the plot looks terrible. So we are getting a generic monster movie story of scientists creating some unnatural smart hybrid Dinosaur that will ultimately try to kill them all and prove not to fuck with nature? First off, that's the plot to Deep Blue Sea, among plenty of other bad monster movies, so just take that in for a second. And second of all, the science vs. nature thing already went without saying given the set-up of bringing Dinosaurs back to life, so why cheapen the plot further with the most generic story idea possible? Oh, and as for the classic Dinosaurs like the Raptors that were so threatening in the first movie? Yeah, they're basically just the Dino equivalent of police dogs in this movie according to the trailer and an interview with Chris Pratt confirming it.

That's just....pretty fucking stupid.

Does that mean that I'm saying for sure that the movie will be bad. No. As usual, I won't judge a final product based on a short trailer like this. That said, I will definitely say that this trailer, in and of itself, is just flat-out bad. If it represents the actual direction of the film, then I'm probably going to hate this movie. If it doesn't and the actual movie is better, then it has utterly failed at doing its job as a trailer.

So, yeah, I'm definitely not impressed, to say the least, and I'm usually pretty damn easy to get hyped up when it comes to movie trailers, so something is seriously wrong here.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 26, 2014, 02:47:12 PM
The teaser for Star Wars has in fact NOT been released yet, or at least not officially. If there are any leaks, I'm unaware of them. The trailer will officially be released on Friday exclusively to select theaters, so it won't appear online for at least a few more days.

Maybe it was leaked. My brother showed it to me. Either way, it's available to be viewed.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 26, 2014, 02:47:12 PM
As for Jurassic World, the trailer has been released for 2 days now, and....it looks AWFUL! I'm not joking, and I don't say this kind of stuff lightly, but nothing about that trailer felt right to me. I mean, OK, they have a fully functional park, so I'm assuming that this is a reboot because it wouldn't make any fucking sense in the original continuity after all of the shit that went wrong with that idea in the old movies. That set-up in and of itself is fine, and I don't want just another rehash of the first movie, anyways. Having said that, the plot looks terrible. So we are getting a generic monster movie story of scientists creating some unnatural smart hybrid Dinosaur that will ultimately try to kill them all and prove not to fuck with nature? First off, that's the plot to Deep Blue Sea, among plenty of other bad monster movies, so just take that in for a second. And second of all, the science vs. nature thing already went without saying given the set-up of bringing Dinosaurs back to life, so why cheapen the plot further with the most generic story idea possible? Oh, and as for the classic Dinosaurs like the Raptors that were so threatening in the first movie? Yeah, they're basically just the Dino equivalent of police dogs in this movie according to the trailer and an interview with Chris Pratt confirming it.

That's just....pretty fucking stupid.

Does that mean that I'm saying for sure that the movie will be bad. No. As usual, I won't judge a final product based on a short trailer like this. That said, I will definitely say that this trailer, in and of itself, is just flat-out bad. If it represents the actual direction of the film, then I'm probably going to hate this movie. If it doesn't and the actual movie is better, then it has utterly failed at doing its job as a trailer.

So, yeah, I'm definitely not impressed, to say the least, and I'm usually pretty damn easy to get hyped up when it comes to movie trailers, so something is seriously wrong here.

Well, if you have any doubts, just remember that the Jurassic Park franchise hasn't had any duds in the past... oh wait. :sly:

According to Wikipedia, the movie takes place twenty years after the events of the original film.

Also, in the moment of the trailer when the liopleurodon eats the shark, I couldn't help but think that was a little Speilberg joke, as if to say "If you thought Jaws was big...". :P

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I don't really get the interest behind Jurassic World.

Then again, most people seem to have forgotten the sequels, so...
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

So it looks like an official trailer for the new Star Wars has been released (which is different from the teaser I saw last week). I don't particularly have any thoughts on it. I didn't see enough in it to get excited or worried. So I feel the same way about the movie that I always have: unsure and in need of more info.

I will say, though, that J.J. Abrams does care about Star Wars and is clearly a fan. If you watch Lost you can see references to it, such as little things like the usage of "I have a bad feeling about this". There's many parts where one of the characters (a clear Star Wars fan) directly references characters and elements from the movies and compares them to situations in the show, and during one of these scenes, he even throws in an unnecessary yet incredibly comedic and blatant shot at the Ewoks. Some people are worried that Episode VII apparently features a descendant of Jar-Jar, but if Abrams is aware of the lameness of the Ewoks, I'm sure he's aware of Jar-Jar, too. Point is, I'm not saying this movie will be good (like I said above, I still don't know what to think), but I do hope that his love of Star Wars is evident in the finished project. I do have a feeling he knows why the prequels went wrong, and will do his best to recall the spirit of the classic trilogy rather than those movies.

Though I hear his Star Trek was mediocre, and if he is a self proclaimed fan of that series, too, then my post may be pointless.