What are your favorite non-Disney/Pixar animated films?

Started by talonmalon333, February 14, 2013, 09:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I ask this question because I imagine that, if I asked what people's favorite animated films in general were, most people would list a whole lot of Disney and Pixar films (for good reason). So I decided to leave them out of this topic. Name your favorite non-Disney/Pixar animated films. This can consist of nearly anything else, anime, Warner Bros., Dreamworks, etc. You can do it in the form of a top 10 if you want.

The Shadow Gentleman

Yellow Submarine
Mask of the Phantasm
Coraline
Rango
Iron Giant
Megamind
The Prince of Egypt
How to Train Your Dragon
American Pop
Adventures of Tintin
Persepolis
Kung-Fu Panda 1/2
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Spirited Away
Porco Rosso

The Nostalgia Critic's Dreamworks-ary makes me want to watch several movies I haven't seen in years, so this list is probably going to change.

Silverstar

Interestingly, I've never been a huge fan of Disney, not even as a kid. Growing up I was a Warner Brothers kid, not a Disney kid. I kind of liked their shorts with Mickey and the gang and some of their animated TV shows (mainly Pepper Ann and some of the Disney Afternoon stuff), but their productions overall, most notably their features, were just too corny and sugary sweet for my tastes, so save for a few notable exceptions like Roger Rabbit, Meet the Robinsons, The Incredibles and Wreck-It Ralph, most of my favorite animated movies aren't Disney. No offense to any Disney fans, though. Also, in general I prefer animated shorts to features, since my attention span is only about 20 minutes max.

I don't know if I have 10 favorite animated films, but I'll list some of the ones I like:

Yellow Submarine- One of the first animated movies I was ever exposed to. It fueled my fondness for cartoon weirdness, offbeat humor and the music of The Beatles.

Twice Upon a Time- a wacko fairy tale parody which came out decades before Shrek. It's kind of obscure, but I recommend giving it a look. If you can, watch the theater version rather than the slightly censored and watered down version which used to air on Cartoon Network.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In no particular order:

The Advetnures of Tintin
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
Ninja Scroll
Summer Wars
Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin): Trust and Betrayal
Felidae
Coraline
Kung-Fu Panda

I'd also probably have An American Tail and The Secret of Nimh on my list as well, but I haven't watched either of those movies in ages, so I'll have to hit those up again at some point in time. I also still have yet to see Kung-Fu Panda 2 as well as How to Train Your Dragon, which are both movies that got positive reviews and that I'm sure I would really like.

Dr. Insomniac

Sita Sings The Blues
Triplets of Belleville
Paprika
Persepolis
Coraline
Kirikou & The Sorceress
Adventures of Tintin
Spirited Away
Mask of the Phantasm

Daxdiv

Let's see in no particular order:

How to Train Your Dragon
Kung-Fu Panda
Puss in Boots
Iron Giant
Castle of Cagliostro
Shrek
Shrek 2
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Coraline
Adventures of Tintin
South Park: BLU
Spirited Away
Megamind
Summer Wars

Avaitor

Mask of the Phantasm
Persepolis
How to Train Your Dragon
The Iron Giant
The Secret of NIMH
An American Tale
Kung-Fu Panda 1&2
Sita Sings the Blues
Waltz with Bashir

Not really in order, I guess. This is pretty western too, now that I look at it. I'm probably just os used to keeping anime separate from other locales in animation that I just didn't consider my favorite Japanese animated flicks.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

My choices are...

Grave of the Fireflies
The Land Before Time

I could list more. But these ones would probably be my absolute favorites.

Spark Of Spirit

Cat's Don't Dance
Prince Of Egypt
Secret Of NIMH
Mask Of The Phantasm
The Iron Giant
Castle of Cagliostro
An American Tail
The Land Before Time
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Oh shit, I forgot about Coraline and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I should probably edit my list.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Eddy

Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
The Land Before Time
Perfect Blue
The Powerpuff Girls Movie
The Iron Giant

There are some others but I haven't seen them in years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Castle of Cagliostro and The Iron Giant are 2 films that I forgot to mention, but others have listed them here.