Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It seems like Doug is taking a cue from Lindsay and is cutting back on using video clips in his reviews to make a joke, and his own twist, is instead making his own skits with his friends to get a laugh.

True, he did pull out some clips, but not too many, and I have a feeling he'll focus more on these skits in his later reviews.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

My favorite NC in a long time. That opening with the cat was gold.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, for what its worth, this NC episode actually made me laugh out loud a few times. Its the first NC in a LONG time to actually be funny enough to make me laugh. If Doug can somehow maintain this level of quality with this future NC videos, then he can take as long as he wants to make them. Really, that's probably the main reason why NC was becoming so dry and stale in the first place. It was becoming more and more of the same old shit without any real thought being put into the jokes. With Doug taking his time on trying to make quality episodes before releasing them, it could make for some far more consistent material than his last couple of years worth of NC videos.

Karamazova

The Chia Child joke made me laugh pretty hard

talonmalon333

Got done watching the episode tonight. Now this is the result of the NC taking his time to make sure the episode is top notch.

I also quite liked the use of the Demo Reel people.

The Shadow Gentleman

Silverstar

I have to echo what others are saying about the Nostalgia Critic: he kicked it off again on a strong note. The Timothy Green review was funny, and I was glad to see that the Demo Reel actors still have something to do even though that show's apparently kaput. This may be what Doug needed to do with the NC: put some time and space between the videos and start incorporating other people and other types of jokes. I also liked that fake news broadcast Doug did after the review where he interviewed the Mad Hatter and the March Hare on their drug usage.

As for Dreamworks-uary, I have to admit to never seeing The Prince of Egypt and I never saw Chicken Run or Road to El Dorado all the way through; I've seen parts of each but never tired to sit through them all from start to finish. Maybe I should give these films a real look. Regarding Shrek: it was one of those Dreamworks pictures with a strong "Screw you, Disney!" tone to it. I was able to enjoy the first Shrek movie for what it was, I didn't like Shrek 2 as much as the first one (the original story didn't call for a sequel and the producers admitted that cash was the determining factor for them green-lighting a 2nd movie) but it was still OK, by the time they got to movies 3 and 4 and all of the specials and other things, the Shrek franchise became highly saturated and it degenerated into being the very thing the original Shrek poked fun at Disney's films for being: a money-generating cash cow with little artistic integrity to it.

Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Spark Of Spirit

Those are definitely the better DreamWorks movies before they went over the cliff of blatant consumerism. The best part of Shrek 2 was Puss In Boots who got his own movie which eclipsed every Shrek film.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

That was a great video. It was really more Doug than the Critic, and that worked to this format's benefit. Why so many people on the Internet care so much about Twilight either way is something I've thought about for the last couple years, and Doug laid out all the reasons why perfectly. His remarks about how Bella is a blank slate and how that's exactly character's like Superman or Wonder Woman used to be when they started out; and when he stated how characters that are blank slates are seen as lazy and selfish by other people were great valid points.

I wonder what the next topic will be in the next one of these?

The Shadow Gentleman

So it seems Doug is just using the Critic as a way of talking about any movie he wants. Not that I'm complaining. The videos he's done since his return have all been really good. A lack of deadlines can work wonders.

Kiddington

Apparently JewWario is calling it a day, from what I'm told. At least on TGWTG, anyway.

Meh.

Avaitor

I don't think I've ever seen a video of his.

He did cameos on NC and Todd videos, IIRC. That's it.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember watching some short video of his reviewing an obscure Yu Yu Hakusho game for the SNES. I watched it because it had to do with YYH, and YYH is awesome! :thumbup:

But, yeah, other than that I'm not familiar with any of his work aside from a few of his video game reviews.

Daikun

I haven't been watching any of the Blistered Thumbs stuff, to be honest. TGWTG had burned me out on game reviews long before they launched that site.

I saw some of JewWario's early stuff when TGWTG was still rather young. He was...okay, not great. To me, a member of Blistered Thumbs leaving Channel Awesome is just that...another game reviewer leaving. Meh.