Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 30, 2013, 07:29:26 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on April 30, 2013, 07:27:20 PM
Huh, no Romney jokes.
???
You would've expected Doug to reference him during the Mormon entry, but nope.

I guess that makes sense, though. He lost 6 months ago, after all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Huh, some of these episodes are actually my favorite as well, Mostly Good Times with Weapons, Woodland Critter Christmas, Osama Bin Laden, Cancelled, and Make Love, Not Warcraft. As for episodes I like that wasn't on his list, I kind of like Super Best Friends, Trapped in the Closet and Go God Go XII.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Most of those episodes are good choices, but I actually HATE his number 1 choice, being that I never found that episode to be the least bit funny in any way, neither in regard to social commentary or in its Looney Tunes-esque antics. I also find that, while I originally liked Passion of the Jew, that particular episode just doesn't appeal to me too much anymore (though I honestly couldn't give you an exact reason why). The rest of his list was really good, though, IMO. Personally, I think that Chinpokomon should have been higher, myself.

At any rate, its great to see a list like this because I'm tired of hearing nothing but negative things about South Park these days. Everyone's focused on how its not the show it used to be (yet The Simpsons gets a free-pass to this constantly just because of the first 10 seasons, whereas people pretend like the 10+ seasons after that never even existed at all), but I still say that this show has a lot of good episodes that it contributed and that have aged well, and IMO the good still outweighs the bad on the whole, but that's just me, I suppose.

Foggle

I love every season of South Park so far, for the most part. Here are my pointless and brief opinions on Doug's picks:

11. Christian Hard Rock - YEAH
10. Brittney's New Look - Eh
9. Cancelled - Great
8. Chinpokomon - YEAH
7. Good Times with Weapons - Great
6. Make Love Not Warcraft - Great
5. The Passion of the Jew - Never really liked this episode, to be honest
4. The Coon Trilogy - Eh
3. Woodland Critter Christmas - My favorite episode!
2. All about Mormons - Great
1. Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants - Um

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2013, 09:18:34 PM
Most of those episodes are good choices, but I actually HATE his number 1 choice, being that I never found that episode to be the least bit funny in any way, neither in regard to social commentary or in its Looney Tunes-esque antics. I also find that, while I originally liked Passion of the Jew, that particular episode just doesn't appeal to me too much anymore (though I honestly couldn't give you an exact reason why). The rest of his list was really good, though, IMO. Personally, I think that Chinpokomon should have been higher, myself.

You like "Brittney's New Look?" Guess that makes two people.  :>

I like both "Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants" and "Passion of the Jew." I get good laughs from them and see the former as a continually relevant satirical episode. "Chinpokomon" wouldn't make my top list, but it's also a solid episode. South Park  has a lot of those.  ;)

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2013, 09:18:34 PM
At any rate, its great to see a list like this because I'm tired of hearing nothing but negative things about South Park these days. Everyone's focused on how its not the show it used to be (yet The Simpsons gets a free-pass to this constantly just because of the first 10 seasons, whereas people pretend like the 10+ seasons after that never even existed at all), but I still say that this show has a lot of good episodes that it contributed and that have aged well, and IMO the good still outweighs the bad on the whole, but that's just me, I suppose.

??? I see way more hate for The Simpsons than South Park when it comes to focusing on the negative episodes over the good ones. I agree with your sentiments that the show still has great episodes and most of them have aged well, and that the good outweighs the shit. There might be like three or four episodes of South Park I honestly downright hate, and that's a pretty good number for a 220+ episode series. And the good is so fantastic that I can forget the bad, which is why South Park is my favorite American animated series period.  :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 30, 2013, 09:29:50 PM
You like "Brittney's New Look?" Guess that's makes two people.  :>

Its not like I said its one of my favorite episodes, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

As for Chinpokomon, as someone who used to be really into the Pokemon craze, lets just say that I have a personal appreciation for it. I also think its pretty funny since it pretty much hit the nail on the head about most how most childrens' fads work in general.

Peanutbutter

I'm not a big fan of South Park, but having watched it myself almost through its duration, I think most of those episodes he picked would have been on my list as well. What he said about the 9/11 episode was spot-on. There was definitely an overwhelming sense of fear and anxiety across the nation, one that thankfully has not been repeated and I hope never does. Many people were anticipating South Park in the wake of it. Heck, some of my classmates and even my US History teacher talked about the episode for a bit after watching it. I personally found the Looney Tunes skits hilarious. The Coon Trilogy, Great Times With Weapons, and Make Love Not Warcraft were great picks too.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the problem with the Passion Of The Jew is the same one they themselves mentioned in the commentary. They had absolutely no idea where they were going with it, and it really shows when you watch removed from its time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I know what you mean. I feel the same way with "Trapped in the Closet" too, honestly. The scientology commentary is strong, but the rest doesn't hold up, and I loved the episode when it came out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I wasn't even familiar with the song when it came out, so watching it now would probably hurt it worse. I'm fairly certain about nobody remembers that song.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally, I think the Scientology episode DOES hold up and was funny just based on its own merits alone. My case in point is that I never actually even knew that Scientology was a real thing when I first watched this episode of South Park....but as you can see, I'm usually out of the loop on a lot of things.

No-Personality

Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

New blog!

Avaitor

That's what happens when you don't double-check your links.

This is his latest video.

New blog!