Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Crunchyroll just added a lot of new simulpubs, including To Your Eternity! I recently stopped buying the new chapters off of Comixology since I wanted to buy the volumes instead, so I'm glad to have another way to keep up with the series every week without additional expense.

Also, despite what was previously reported, the backlog chapters for most of the series Crunchyroll is simulpublishing are still available to read for now, so that gives me more time to catch up on the stuff I fell behind on like Ajin and Space Brothers before they decide to remove them for real.

Spark Of Spirit

Spring Weapon No. 1 is ending.

What in the heck is going on? This is a crazy amount of series ending.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Spring Weapon ending isn't too surprising considering that it hasn't done particularly well despite an editorial push.  It's weird that a 4th series has ended so soon when the new serialization round is only 3 series, but maybe it's preparation for a new round when both HxH goes back on hiatus and Gintama finally ends.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wonder if this will manage to keep RXL safe for at least a little while longer.

VLordGTZ

Shuichi Asou mentioned in the new issue of Jump that the purpose of the Saiki 4-koma series is to fill the remaining pages of the final volume of the manga.

Since volume 25 is coming out in April, the final volume should be out by July at the latest, so it won't be around for more than a few months.  The "chapters" are only a single page as well, which is probably why they aren't being listed in the ToC.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #15 (March 6th, 2018):
Noah's Notes (Cover/Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. Promised Neverland
Black Clover (CP)
3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. My Hero Academia
5. Dr. Stone
6. Haikyu!!
Jujutsu Kaisen (CP)
7. Act-Age
8. Gintama
We Never Learn (CP)
Hunter X Hunter (Not Ranked)
9. Bozebeats
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
11. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
12. Hinomaru Zumou
13. Robot X Laserbeam
Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle

That's a very good first rating for Act-Age considering that unlike Bozebeats, it's not a battle or action series. Bozebeats is doing alright so far, but Robot is definitely not. I wasn't aware that Noah's Notes was by the creator of Mononofu so I am definitely interested in reading that one. Mononofu was surprisingly good, but had bad luck to be serialized at a tough time. As for Jujutsu Kaisen... eh. The art style looks like it would fit a delinquent manga better. This story so far reminds me a heck of a lot of Amalgam of Distortion only with a less interesting twist. I hope it improves, but it's looking weak so far. Next week the third and last series, Ziga, gets the cover.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's my prediction on what could possibly happen with RXL. The most recent chapters have initiated a new tournament arc that if seen through, could be quite lengthy. At the very least this tells me that it's not yet set in stone whether the series will be cancelled or not. More than likely the editorial staff is just waiting to see how this next match plays out with Jump readers. If the rankings pick up a bit then RXL could potentially save itself from an early cancellation. However, if it stays among the bottom three then it's a goner for sure within the next few weeks. The likelihood of it recovering is slim since, regardless of what Tadatoshi does, there are likely a lot less people reading it and thus even if it improves it might not reach enough readers who skip it every week in order to elevate its ranking. However, here's still hoping that he can pull off a miracle somehow. The manga still has potential to it, IMO, but some poor writing decisions have really cost it dearly as of late.

As for Shokugeki no Soma, the recent developments make it a lot harder to determine whether it will be ending after this arc or not. One would think that if this is meant to be the final battle, the author would put Soma in the spotlight. However, Erina looks to be getting to head off the conflict with Soma serving as support. That makes sense since this is basically her story arc more than any other character's, but then you'd figure that we'd get at least another arc or two after this which focus on the main character trying to achieve his goal of getting the first seat. Or, if they are actually trying to keep this manga going for a few more years (which is doubtful, but still possible) they might end up going the route of the international tournament which was hinted at earlier on in the series, especially since there really wouldn't be too many other students who could significantly challenge the core characters after this arc ends (assuming that they win, which they kind of have to given the set-up).

VLordGTZ

Hinomaru Sumo, Noah's Notes and Haikyu will be getting color pages in issue 16.  There will also be a key visual for Hinomaru's anime!

On the topic of RxL, I'm not sure what's going to happen to it.  While it's at the bottom of the ToC, its volume sales are still quite good and it seems like Fujimaki has long-term plans for the series.  There is a possibility of it moving to Jump+, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been saying that I think there will be two more arcs after this one in Food Wars for a year, and I still think that may be the case. I don't think this will be the last one because it still sells the fourth or fifth best in Jump behind OP, HxH, Haikyu and MHA. They can get more mileage out of it yet, but I do think it has passed its peak popularity.

RxL is selling well but it's not showing any growth, and I think that's what Jump is most worried about. Its rankings are also not helping. Hinomaru and Yuuna are getting anime so they're safe for at least a year, same with Black Clover. We Never Learn is quickly becoming the token SOL series in the magazine. Promised Neverland, KnY, and Dr. Stone, are still growing and on the verge of being huge. OP, MHA, and Haikyu! are giant hits that the magazine needs badly right now. Gintama is about to end.

The only series that are really in danger are the new series (this is actually not the best time for them to start) and RxL. I think RxL will be safe as long as Gintama ends soon, or the new series really bomb. Oh, and if World Trigger doesn't return.

But it's not in a good position.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, while I never put all that much stock into the idea of the big three battle shonen series, I think that I can safely say what I personally consider to be this generation's equivalents of it. Now, yes, One Piece is still going, but it feels more like a prevailing remnant of an older generation than a fresh new thing still yet to reach its peak in popularity. It has already hit its peak a long time ago, in that regard. Just counting the long-runners from this decade, I'd say that My Hero Academia has taken One Piece's role as the pillar series for the current young generation of readers that also has the critical acclaim to back it up; Black Clover replaces Naruto just with Wizards in place of Ninjas; and Kimetsu no yaiba is the new Bleach what with the Samurai vibe and fighting demonic enemies going for both, except with better writing to actually give it a lot more substance to work with.

All three are massively popular in Japan and both MHA and BC sell well over here, and I'm sure that KnY could potentially see similar success if it ever lands a good anime adaptation that gets localized over here.

Spark Of Spirit

KnY really needs that anime to push it over the edge. It's so close. But at this rate its guaranteed to get one. I'm still hoping MAPPA is the one to grab it. They would be the perfect fit, especially if they use the same team as Ushio & Tora.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

MAPPA would be a good fit for sure. Part of me wishes that Studio Bones would get it since they've proven to be able to handle animating unique art styles (Mob Psycho 100 being a prime example), but what with their approach of taking on just a few series at a time (for the better, of course), I doubt that they'd go for another series right now when they already have enough stuff planned out on their schedule.

In any case, though, capturing the unique style of the manga's artwork will be a challenge regardless of which studio gets KnY. Just....PLEASE keep it away from Toei and Pierrot....

Spark Of Spirit

I think Pierrot has their hands full with Boruto and Black Clover right now, but Toei? It is possible since they got World Trigger... But I hope not.

I just want a studio that can give it a good 25 episode season to start with. I think you could get to the end of Spider Mountain and the short recovery period after that with that length. It's a good place to end a season.

What it doesn't need is an ongoing series with tons of filler, haphazard animation, and sluggish pacing.

Spark Of Spirit

Noah's Notes was really good. I really hope this has a chance to stick around.