AR Book Club

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 31, 2010, 03:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Hmm. You just might not be a fan of repetition given A Christmas Carol's reputation. And Oliver Twist isn't particularly known for its subtlety. The thing about Dickens is that his protagonists usually aren't well-written, at all. So that might be why.

Now in books that people like, I read the Witch Hunters by Steve Lyons yesterday as part of my Doctor Who binge. Feels like a Hartnell story, but definitely shows when it was written in places. Also, the foreshadowing to future stories was pretty obvious.

Avaitor

His supporting characters usually are more interesting than the protagonists, yes. But I wouldn't add a single one to my favorites.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Also, as he was writing the books in serial format, and had to write the books to make sure the audience would remain large, it kind of shows how hodgepodge his style can get. So basically, he was his day's soap opera writer.

Spark Of Spirit

Ouch. Dickens hate makes me sad.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

I've been reading Chris Jericho's second autobiography (Undisputed) and he sure packs a ton of pop culture references in his writing.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Pharass

Currently reading London Match, the final part in Len Deighton's first trilogy about Bernard Samson. Great espionage fiction, if you like the works of Le Carr? than I certainly recommend London Match as well as the previous books in the series.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I finally got to pick up a copy of A Game of Thrones a few days ago. To pass the time before I get to find the other books, I'm reading The Once and Future King.

It's funny, the Disney version of Sword in the Stone isn't too far off from the book at all. They just cut out a lot of filler.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Angus

It's kind of sad that I'm reading that Chris Jericho book and have to pull up Wikipedia every few paragraphs.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

Was surprised that Ray Bradbury was still around until this week.  91 years old. RIP. same age as J.D. Salinger.

Pharass

I really should get around to read more Bradbury, can't believe I haven't read Fahrenheit 451 yet, just to name an example.

Currently reading White Jazz, the fourth book in James Ellroy's L.A. Quartet. I'm curious to see whether or not Dudley Smith finally gets his comeuppance in this one.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Angus

Hmm, I thought everyone had to read 451 in high school, not that I paid much attention to it, but it makes me wonder what's "required reading" these days.

Avaitor

The only book I can think of that was "required reading" was The Great Gatsby.

Which totally should be.

New blog!

Angus

I caved in and bought those two B&N versions of The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I hope my head doesn't explode.

Pharass

Quote from: Angus on June 19, 2012, 09:06:24 PM
I caved in and bought those two B&N versions of The Complete Sherlock Holmes. I hope my head doesn't explode.

Good for you, Angus. You can't go wrong with Conan Doyle.

Regarding Fahrenheit 451, I should perhaps point out that I'm Swedish and so did not attend an American high-school where I'd guess Fahrenheit 451 would be required reading. Although considering how universal it's themes are, I'm a bit surprised it was never brought up during my high-school years. At any rate I haven't read it, but I aim to fix that one day.

I've read Gatsbyhowever and I have to say that despite the prohibition era stuff and the mystery surrounding the main character it left me cold. I'm willing to give it another go though.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Angus

No prob. I'd probably have to read those high school books again since I really didn't have a clue the first time around.