Steven Universe

Started by Daikun, May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

the dances were kind of weird to awkward while the fusion was straight up weird.

i have been liking the show more and more myself. i still need to watch more though.

i agree that regular show hasn't been as good as it used to be for awhile. i think it went downhill after margaret went college (and when the year of the rigby started, lol). i am not sure i will ever love it as much as i did in 2013 when i caught up on a lot of episodes around the time i think blind trust and that rich golf club episode came out. it was my favorite ongoing show then.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Yeah, there was almost a rapey vibe in the club sequence. It's weird and kind of uncomfortable, but that's the point and it's presented well for kids.

Like I said in the other thread, while I really do enjoy Clarence's sense of childhood logic, SU has been going all over the place in execution, and has mostly succeeded throughout. It's such a great show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I thought Stevonnie's breakdown was more of a social anxiety/stage fright/feelings of intimidation situation.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daxdiv on January 26, 2015, 01:05:08 AM
I thought Stevonnie's breakdown was more of a social anxiety/stage fright/feelings of intimidation situation.
Well yes, but the vibe I got from the guy made me think of something darker, myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

I was mostly referring to the part where that crystal bubble came up after people were looking at them weird. That whole mental breakdown bit. Then again....  there was a lot of sex metaphors in this episode, especially with lines like "...At the very least inappropriate." & "We can stop if you want to... No, it's fine" Hell son, you can even draw a line and say that fusion itself is like sex.

Nel_Annette

Honestly I think you're both right. Everything before Kevin showed up seemed like a great metaphor for sex and social awkwardness/loneliness, and once he came into the picture, it took a bit of a darker tone.

Oh, and the scene with Lars and Sadie being left absolutely speechless was gold.

Peanutbutter

I'm glad that the writers have been showing Garnet getting more emotional lately, even more so than before with that 30-minute special. Also, they played "Cheeseburger Backpack" which is the fourth episode yesterday, and in it I noticed Garnet touching her face where her third eye is while stating she didn't "sense anymore abnormalities". It's just amazing the layers of detail put into this show that come up when you least suspect.

Peanutbutter

Dang. This show just can't stop topping itself.

Spoiler
So Amethyst was born on Earth unlike Garner and Pearl, and was meant to be a Bad Gem. Whatever the heck they were.
[close]

We're still only in the first season, and Steven Universe has turned its premise on its own head THREE times!!!  :huh: Who knows what other twists are coming up?

gunswordfist

these thread recaps are making me want to marathon the show.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Oh and....

Spoiler
Pearl vs. Amethyst. Yup.
[close]

Daxdiv

Twas an awesome episode. Really does explain a lot about Amethyst's personality. That & more of the gem's backstory was a plus.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, it was a really good character episode for her. SU has been really good with intimate character-focused episodes lately.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Yeah, I saw someone point out on another forum I go to that Renaldo was actually right on the money. That's both disturbing and awesome.  .3.

Speaking of whom, guess who's back in the next episode?

Peanutbutter

Renaldo's return was handled pretty well. Didn't know they'd have him and Lars be childhood buddies, but it made sense considering they're the same age.