Is it me, or is CN's Lineup really getting good?

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 31, 2010, 07:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

One thing I learned about Hulu Plus' kids option is that it's commercial-free, which makes it a little more enticing to subscribe.

Right now they only have Gumball and Omniverse for CN series (unless Flapjack is still on there- when I checked the other day, I didn't really see it), but the press release announcing Turner's deal with them promises more shows. Dexter's Lab was mentioned in particular, and if we get the original 52 eps, that is certainly worth at least the free 30-day trial.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Well the following shows have been added to Hulu:

• Dexter's Laboratory
  • Samurai Jack
  • Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
  • Ben 10
  • Adventure Time
  • Regular Show
  • Steven Universe

Not too bad! The only thing that really excites me right now is Dexter's Lab (and I checked- every episode, even though I think Ego Trip is excluded. Still, take that, Netflix!), but this seems like a good step forward. Now get Johnny, Eds, Grim, and I'm sold.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Does Xbox 360 has Hulu Kids because Hulu's about to get played more than Netflix if it does. :kabapu:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Here's a question- do you guys think that Cartoon Network's current line-up is their best?

Sticking only to their originals, so leaving TTG! and Sonic Boom out, most of their shows range from good to greatness, with Uncle Grandpa ranging to just okay to good, which is nothing to sneeze out. Even in the 1999 boom, Mike, Lu & Og would still count as a not good show. Around the time that ended, the post-Tarkovsky Dexter's Lab episodes premiered to muck things up, although I guess you could make the argument that Adventure Time and Regular Show aren't as fun as they used to be, either.

All I know is that I do enjoy the network's current output, moreso than what was going on about a decade ago. But in terms of schedule content, I do think they had better variety back in the day. I don't even mean the lack of classics, Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes aside. Not only is there not much room for recently ended series or slightly older ones, the general lack of action cartoons does show.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

If we're talking about the schedule as a whole, I wouldn't say so. I like all of the current originals, with Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Clarence, and Gumball being among my top favorites that the network's ever made and cartoons in general, but there is very little variety with the scheduling, the acquisitions aren't particularly great, and there aren't any action shows to speak of. The lineups I remember from the network in the powerhouse era were more eclectic and interesting in terms of balancing a diverse quantity of quality shows, even if there were still some mediocre stuff in the lineup back then too.

If we're just talking about whether their current crop of original series is their best, than I'd have to say yes, though, since not every show they debuted back in the powerhouse days holds up for me now.

Spark Of Spirit

DC's basically dead, so I can't really agree. Also am not a fan of most of the style's of humor their comedies have. I won't say they're bad shows, but I don't care for them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Have you been keeping up with some of their more recent stuff? I recall you saying that Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball aren't really your thing, but I've really been happy with how Steven Universe and Clarence are evolving, and they're turning different paths from the aforementioned shows. And then Over the Garden Wall is its own thing entirely.

New blog!

gunswordfist

From what I've seen, nope. Admittedly I've seen little and straight up have no cable now. My favorite eras are Cartoon Cartoons and when Toonami was great(er).

Spark Of Spirit

They're not really my thing. For newer shows I have been enjoying Harvey Beaks on Nick, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2015, 01:09:39 AM
They're not really my thing. For newer shows I have been enjoying Harvey Beaks on Nick, though.

You really should give Steven Universe a try if nothing else. It does a good job at foreshadowing certain details and events that come into play later.

gunswordfist

I want to really try to get into the show due to checking out a couple of good episodes and you guys' love for the show.

Avaitor

My current rankings for CN's original series.

Steven Universe
Clarence
Gumball
Adventure Time
Regular Show
We Bare Bears
Uncle Grandpa

SU and Clarence are more or less tied as always. I like how Clarence has been cutting away from its slice of life roots and become a little more weird and fanciful, yet hasn't lost its core at all. And Steven Universe really is that good, crazy fandom be damned, which is why I ultimately give it the edge. Gumball is pretty content with messing around its status quo, in a way that always makes it entertaining when I tune in. For some reason, though, I just can't commit myself to watch it in full and keep up with it every week. Yet I do really enjoy it when I tune in.

Adventure Time's new season is off to a good start, even if it isn't as fun as it used to be. I really just like how it's rarely the same thing twice in a row, and that there's still more world building to be done even now. Regular Show has also been an improvement so far this season, as it's wisely cut back on the relationship bs and has allowed for some good episodes between the park crew. I ultimately prefer AT though, since RS is just a little too formulaic to resonate with me as much, but at its best, the show is just too much fun to ignore.

We Bare Bears can also be pretty fun, but I don't get why the internet is so into it. It's not THAT good, and while the core bears are likable enough, the recurring characters are pretty annoying, aside from Chloe. I really wish that Clarence received more attention, personally. And Uncle Grandpa is Uncle Grandpa. Enjoyable on the odd occasion, but still the least essential series on the lineup. Unless you count Teen Titans Go!, I guess.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

I can see why Charlie can be annoying (even though I'm partial to Jason Lee thanks to My Name is Earl and The Incredibles), but the only recurring character is Nom Nom whom I think has been fine with his two appearences. I think the show has gotten popular because its just funny.

But Steven Universe is still CN's best, even though Adventure Time and Regular Show are still doing well.

Avaitor

I love Jason Lee, but Charlie and Nom Nom annoy me more often than not. Well, I give the show credit for rarely letting Nom Nom get off for being a jerk, but his episodes are among my least favorites thus far.

I do want to emphasize how much I like Chloe, though. Her episode with Ice Bear was probably my favorite last week, since it helped to give the two some much needed development time.

New blog!

Avaitor

So Regular Show is ending with this season, Uncle Grandpa has one before it's over, Gumball was similarly announced to end after the next season, and Clarence has yet to be renewed and isn't currently listed to be under production, but has enough unaired episodes to fill a season.

It is starting to look like the end of an era. That said, it doesn't look like Adventure Time is going anywhere yet, even though it's peaked in popularity, and there's plenty more Steven Universe and We Bare Bears to go.

New blog!