E3 2013

Started by Foggle, June 10, 2013, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 12, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
Spark, you say you saw Wind Waker HD up close, right? From the videos and pics I've seen, I still think the original version looks more appealing (that bloom just looks excessive). I suppose you can protest to that from seeing it up close?

EDIT: Also, can we really say the cel-shading is gone from the remake?
You'd really have to see it in person to see the difference but the cel-shading would jar heavily against the HD graphics and make it distracting. There is bloom, but it seems mostly in the open sea sections to give it a dryer look (the boss fight I saw had none to speak of) otherwise it looks like Wind Waker in HD- the grass and water specifically look incredible. Either way, it's not as "bloom-y" as the original shots.

The original game still looks great to this day so it's hard to outright say this looks better but it's definitely sharper (which is why I think the cel-shading wouldn't work) with a larger draw distance and a bit more detail to help it stand out. It's locked 30fps just like the original but it seems to be 1080p. I'm not one to care much about graphics, but they did a great job here. The crowd actually said "wow" when they showed it if that means anything, though I don't know if they care that much about the details.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Wonderful 101 footage

LOTS of Viewtiful Joe influence there. Also there seems to be a mission mode of some kind.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Gawd, that looks awesome. Platinum Games will probably be the reason I eventually buy a Wii U.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 12, 2013, 09:30:16 PM
I think, overall, Sony and Nintendo tied this year's E3. Both have been great. Microsoft... the less said the better.

Honestly, I'm still not interested in Sony. I was hardly impressed with any of the PS3's exclusives, and the PS4 just looks to be the next big AAA movie-game machine. I don't know, I'm just tired of most big-budget story-driven games in general. I don't care about MGS5, and most of what I've seen on offer from Sony just seems like the type of gaming that I either don't care for or just isn't enough to impress me on an actual gameplay substance level.

As far as I'm concerned, The WiiU is currently the only console that is worth owning this generation, though that's only assuming that the games are as top-notch as most of Nintendo's big franchise releases have been in the past.

Spark Of Spirit

One thing to expect is a lot of 60fps games. This is Nintendo's first HD system and every game was locked 60fps (except Wind Waker because the original was built for 30fps) and looks really sharp on top of it. When I saw Mario Kart I actually said that this is about as good as I can imagine games looking. Beyond that it is really not going to make much of a difference.

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2013, 10:48:46 PM
Gawd, that looks awesome. Platinum Games will probably be the reason I eventually buy a Wii U.
What did you think of the Bayonetta 2 gameplay floating out there? I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I actually thought it looked slick.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 12, 2013, 11:00:13 PM
What did you think of the Bayonetta 2 gameplay floating out there? I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I actually thought it looked slick.
It looks a lot like the first one. In other words, it'll be one of the best games ever.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know if I'd call it one of the best games ever, but I do generally agree that it looks as good as the first game. I'll definitely pick it up if I ever manage to get a WiiU. I STILL need to get around to actually finishing the first game in full, though, and in order to do that I need to buy it. I was originally going to buy both it and Max Payne 3 a few weeks ago since I found them both for under $20 each, but then I found BioShock: Infinite on sale for $40 and it was way too hard of an offer to pass up.

Foggle

Since you aren't interested in big budget movie games, you might want to avoid MP3 to be honest. It has more and longer cutscenes than any MGS sans 4, and they aren't skippable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I already figured as much, but since its an MP game I kind of feel the need to play it for completion's sake, and its REALLY cheap at Game Stop right now. Its sort of like how I WILL eventually force myself to play through all of NG3 when I get get Razor's Edge for dirt-cheap. There's some part of me that just has to force myself to play through the whole thing once just so I can say that I actually did play the whole thing.

Foggle

I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked MP3 a lot (though not as much as the first two). But I also love epic AAA story based games when they're done well.

Rynnec

Spark Of Spirit

So I've been watching Sonic Lost World footage. Other than the Sonic X-treme and Super Mario Galaxy influences, the controls look very high level for a platformer. There's a chain homing attack, wind kick, spindash (YOU CAN SPINDASH ON WALLS), wall-running and parkour, super peel-out, tight movement, wisp color powers, the bounce attack from Sonic Adventure, and a roll.

The more I see, the more I'm impressed.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 12, 2013, 10:49:36 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 12, 2013, 09:30:16 PM
I think, overall, Sony and Nintendo tied this year's E3. Both have been great. Microsoft... the less said the better.

Honestly, I'm still not interested in Sony. I was hardly impressed with any of the PS3's exclusives, and the PS4 just looks to be the next big AAA movie-game machine. I don't know, I'm just tired of most big-budget story-driven games in general. I don't care about MGS5, and most of what I've seen on offer from Sony just seems like the type of gaming that I either don't care for or just isn't enough to impress me on an actual gameplay substance level.

As far as I'm concerned, The WiiU is currently the only console that is worth owning this generation, though that's only assuming that the games are as top-notch as most of Nintendo's big franchise releases have been in the past.
MGS5 will be better than anything on Wii U. Sony is the clear winner here
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Oh! One more thing about Wind Waker. The inventory screen is on the touch screen so you get set it to buttons from there. It's a clever little addition.

In other news it seems Yarn Yoshi wasn't ready to be shown at E3, so I guess it's a 2014 game now.

Spark Of Spirit