The Disney Sequels

Started by talonmalon333, June 10, 2013, 05:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Let me just start by saying that we should leave Pixar out of this topic. If it was included, Toy Story 2 and 3 would just dominate every sequel that exists in Disney's library.

This is a tough subject because, as we all know, Disney sequels rarely work. Which ones do you guys actually like though?

I'll always argue that The Lion King II was pretty decent. It's only glaring problem, to me, is the existence of that evil lion tribe which didn't exist in the previous movie. And admittedly, that's a big glaring problem. Their presence makes no sense. Nobody liked Scar. Nobody followed him or thought he was a good leader (because he wasn't). He was alone among the lions. And even if some lions did like him... why? He nearly brought Pride Rock to its end. Who would possibly consider that a good leader?

The Lion King II treats it as if these lions believed in Scar because they are just evil, and little more. And that's where the issue comes up. It's just kind of cheesy.

But once you get past that flaw, I think the movie is fine and is enjoyable in its own right. The music in it is mostly great (it actually has one or two songs that rank among my Disney favorites). The story and two main characters are kind of interesting, too.

What sequels do you like/tolerate?

Spark Of Spirit

Rescuers Down Under and An Extremely Goofy Movie mainly.

The ones that aren't a carbon copy of the original with different characters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 10, 2013, 05:14:54 PM
Rescuers Down Under

I forgot that one. Very good movie with a fun villain and great animation. I kind of like it better than the first Rescuers movie.

Avaitor

Some say that Cinderella III is better than the original.

While I wouldn't go that far, it is a lot better than the majority of the sequels. If you can handle the clusterfuck of the first couple of minutes, it's worth checking out for Anastasia's character arc, and the little glimmers of personality given to the prince and king.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

I have to admit that while it's not a great film, I actually kind of like The Enchanted Christmas. The story makes absolutely no sense and kind of ruins the two leads, but I like some of the songs.

LumRanmaYasha

Rescuers Down Under is easily the best Disney sequel. It not only retains the spirit of the original film while not being a total rehash of it, it manages to surpass the original as well. Not to mention the fact it looks and is animated gorgeously.

Other than that, I sorta like Lion King 1/2, because I just like Timon and Pumbaa so even though the idea behind it is ridiculous, it managed to entertain me. At the most I would say it's an average and watchable film, unlike a lot of Disney direct to DVD sequels.

gunswordfist

Hmmm, I liked a Goofy Movie so I'll have to check that out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 10, 2013, 07:27:59 PM

Hmmm, I liked a Goofy Movie so I'll have to check that out.
If you liked A Goofy Movie I have a hard time imagining you wouldn't like the sequel. It feels like a good ending to the whole Goof Troop canon, though I still kind of miss Peg and Pistol.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton