"Horrible Bosses" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, July 08, 2011, 05:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Release Date: 7/8/2011
Studio: Warner Bros./New Line Cinema
Director: Seth Gordon
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1
Starring: Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Anniston, Colin Farrell, Donald Sutherland, Jamie Foxx

Plot Summary: For Nick (Jason Bateman), Kurt (Jason Sudeikis) and Dale (Charlie Day), the only thing that would make the daily grind more tolerable would be to grind their intolerable bosses (Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, Jennifer Aniston) into dust. Quitting is not an option, so, with the benefit of a few-too-many drinks and some dubious advice from a hustling ex-con (Jamie Foxx), the three friends devise a convoluted and seemingly foolproof plan to rid themselves of their respective employers...permanently. There's only one problem: even the best laid plans are only as foolproof as the brains behind them.

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #143

Back to the daily grind again... although seriously you could do far worse this weekend.

Avaitor

This actually looked a little funny when I saw the trailer for it before Hangover 2. Maybe not my thing exactly, but I like the Hangover flicks, so I'm not entirely against modern raunchy comedys.

I might end up seeing it too, since I have a friend who has a massive crush on Jennifer Aniston. I'll reply here if I do.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

The trailer I saw looked absolutely awful, and it didn't help that I saw it before The Hangover Part 2 which was tremendously unfunny compared to the original. However, the story intrigues me somewhat and any movie with both Kevin Spacey and Colin Farrell can't be all bad.

Lord Dalek

Reviews have been fairly positive so take it what you will.

Kiddington

I thought it looked kinda funny (trim the fat; fire all the fat people!). I might see it, but I've got other movies on my plate this weekend. Probably have to wait a while on this.

...on a somewhat related note, I didn't realize Jennifer Aniston is also in this one (as Charlie Day's boss, I take it; she looks weird, though). Never ceases to amaze me how much work she continues to get, and it's not as if she's exactly riding off the fumes of Friends anymore. Whatever.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on July 08, 2011, 11:48:04 AM
Reviews have been fairly positive so take it what you will.
That's good! I remember seeing Kick-Ass with my friend because the trailers looked positively dreadful (we were planning to laugh at its badness), but I ended up loving it. Best comedy of last year, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

I'd say tool is the worst one.

Nothing annoys me more than people who just can't do their job yet get ahead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

She was good in Just Go With It, even if that one had a plot going like a typical anime rom-com.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Went to see it with my friends today. I was expecting some typical raunchy comedy but it was actually much more clever than that. Jamie Foxx stole the show as Motherfucker Jones, who did absolutely nothing and yet stole both scenes he's in.

Kevin Spacey was a master troll villain once again.

Daxdiv

I thought Horrible Bosses looked funny from the trailer. In fact, I think it's going to be this year's Hangover 1 in being a surprise hit. I'll probably see this on Monday with my brother since this is a film that we both expressed interest in seeing together.

Avaitor

Probably not the place to mention this, but I'm seeing a movie with my friends later today. It might either be this or Bad Teacher, which looks a lot less appealing to me, but gets points for having "Sour Cherry" in the trailer. Heard anything good about that one?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on July 09, 2011, 02:07:17 PM
Probably not the place to mention this, but I'm seeing a movie with my friends later today. It might either be this or Bad Teacher, which looks a lot less appealing to me, but gets points for having "Sour Cherry" in the trailer. Heard anything good about that one?
Only terrible things.

Kiddington

Yeah, the reviews for Bad Teacher I've been reading are... well, less than desirable, let's say. You can only take a movie critic so far at their word, but the general majority of them seem to be trashing it to bits. 44% on the ol' Tomatometer isn't the worst it could possibly be, but it's still a telling sign.

...and really, I'm not surprised. The trailers looked completely unappealing to me (Jason Segel couldn't even save it), and I can't help but seriously question who's idea it was to throw Cameron Diaz, of all people, into the lead role of a raunchy comedy like this. Her resume doesn't exactly speak volumes in the regard.

Avaitor

Yeah, I really like Jason Segal, but I don't think he can save this. And one of my friends is pretty adamant about seeing it, so it looks like I'm stuck.

I also recently found out that John Francis Daley is in Horrible Bosses, too. So I'm missing out on one Freaks and Geeks alumni's flick for another's. Ah well.

New blog!

Daxdiv

I went to see Bad Teacher with my mother and sister, and it wasn't as funny as I was expecting it to be. Maybe one or two jokes I laughed at, but the project felt uninspired. Still deciding if I would watch Bad Teacher over Green Lantern, or vice versa